“A Perfect Weekend”

Auberge Saint-Antoine
Ranked #5 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 12 November 2012

If you are looking for the perfect winter get away, this is it. Very well located in lower town, across from the Museum of Civilization and lower town's best restaurants and galleries - this hotel has it all and more. The environment is warm and relaxing. I enjoyed a beer next to a roaring fire, in a private nook, while catching up on the news thanks to the free wifi.

The room was beautifully appointed with tremendous and thoughtful attention to detail. Built in fold out ironing board is a good example of this. Lots of drawers to put clothes away so you don't feel like you're living out of a suite case. The room and bathroom have beautiful lighting, the can be adjusted to suit any mood. A nespresso machine one of the nice features of the room. No iPod dock - but you can't have everything.

Some other reviewers have mentioned the bed. I couldn't agree more - one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. In fact I was looking at the hotel's website trying to find the name of the manufacturer. Bed linens are part of this experience. I can't say enough about it.

Bathroom is of the same high quality with an enormous bathtub for two and rain shower - shower head. Heated floor in bathroom adds to the effect.

Unlike some hotels, the room and surrounding halls were very quiet. Another huge plus.

We only stayed one night, but want to return to spend a full weekend. Location would be ideal for extended period at Christmas or New Years. The room rate was not inexpensive, but I feel I got value for money.

If you are thinking going I'll note or you the hotel is very close to the VIA Train Station (Gare du palais). Almost walking distance. Hotel has a shuttle which we did not use. Used the valet parking, which has a car wash facility that I should have taken advantage of!

The only downside for me personally is that the hotel was offering a lower rate the weekend (fifty percent off what I paid) I stayed. I should have shopped around more for the better rate. Anyway - not bitter given the great time we had. Will be back.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David R
There are newer reviews for Auberge Saint-Antoine

Reviewed 9 November 2012

It chose this hotel as I do most based Tripadvisor reviews. It was all and more. The decor was just so detailed and interesting. The bed was very comfortable. Loved the friendly staff especially Jean.
-Baptiste. Great location. Panache may we be a good restaurant but that was not my experience. We had the signature menu with prestige wine. Nothing prestige about the wines served. I would not take that chance again - go a la carte and choose your own wine. This elegant hotel is a wonderful choice.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel is, on balance, one of the good ones but with weaknesses as well as strengths.

We stayed in their top room - the Panorama Suite - which was pleasantly comfortable and benefitted from a large (albeit in October cold) terrace balcony. Pleasing views out over the St Lawrence and, at the terrace side, looking backward, photographable view of Chateau Frontenac.

The hotel's situated on the lower ground "below" the old city but it's easy to walk (if you're fit) up to the touristy area above, so a nice location.

Tricky to judge the concierge service; one never knows whether restaurant recommendations are based on a genuine assessment or not. We got a poor recommendation and one only needs a single failure to feel that further advice would be unreliable. Generally though the reception staff were good news - welcoming, friendly and keen to help.

The restaurant we felt was poor. Our first, and only, experience was at breakfast which was not impressive and was badly under-staffed too. Even worse, for me, was their attitude to smoking - I wanted to use a deserted yet pleasing little outside terrace beside the restaurant to enjoy a cigarette and got a rather unpleasant "no you can't" from the restaurant manager; this poor attitude drops my overall rating from excellent to simply very good. Dinner might have been wonderful but we didn't want to take the risk.

As long as your room has no problems (and ours didn't) what influences your feeling of a hotel is the staff and generally (with the two exceptions mentioned) at Saint Antoine they were a delight - welcoming, friendly, keen to help, chatty and effective. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank incomfort
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights at the Auberge Saint Antoine,in Quebec City, the week of October 22nd. It was without question one of the best hotels we ever stayed at. The staff,service,rooms,amenities,food,you name it was of the highest quality. Will make it a point to return.

1  Thank vinman070
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed in Montreal for a week and then drove the 2-3 hours to Quebec City. Immediately upon arrival at Aurberg Saint Antoine the hotel felt like the centerpiece of our trip. We reserved a mid-tier room on Expedia (not the basic room, but not a suite either) and could not ask for anything more. The room was more comfortable and nicer than our suite in Montreal! Terrific deep soaking bathtub and amazing spa shower. Lighting was great, tv had solid selection of channels, plus fast free WiFi.

Also, the staff are incredible. Everyone in all areas of the hotel and all jobs were AMAZING. The bellman, the reservation staff, the concierge, the valet. Really unbelievable. During our stay in Montreal we stayed at a very upscale hotel expecting top of the line service, but unfortunately found the staff to be cold and somewhat detached. Staff here are warm, friendly and always had a smile on their faces. The concierge was super helpful in guiding us to sites in the area.

We had drinks in the bar/cafe several times and enjoyed the fireplaces. Very cozy. Excellent hotel location as well. Right in the heart of the lower town and near all of the shopping and cute French restaurants in Petit Champlain.

My only complaint concerns the spa. My fiancee and I both ordered facials, and we both were disturbed to see that the person giving the facials wore gloves the whole time. I understand hygiene and all, but the crinkling of the gloves during most of the facial took a lot away from the experience. I get facials fairly regularly in the US and have never seen anyone wear gloves before. Maybe for a part of the facial if she/he is using some sort of lotion or oil, but a face and scalp massage with gloves is not all that great, particularly for the price charged.

Room Tip: Go for a midlevel upgrade. The suite may actually be worth it though, the price seemed fair.
1  Thank Charles S
Reviewed 4 November 2012

From the moment we drove up to the very sad point when we had to leave, this hotel exceeded all expectations and is among the finest we have ever had the pleasure of staying in, anywhere. Staff, excellent, knowledgable, and professional. The hotel, spotless, tastefully decorated Nd with the finest of bedding. Location, you could not ask for better. Only down side, plan ahead if you want to experience their restaurant and it books up in advance!
Fabulous and we plan to go back again very soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank joltinjoe60
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The good:
* Rooms are fantastic. We were upgraded and were given a beautiful room with small seating area. The rooms were really very stylish and contemporary,
* The beds are so comfortable. I have never slept as well out of my own bed.
* Good gym facilities.
* Free wifi.
* Fantastic bathrooms with heated floors and lovely big bath.
* Helpful staff, including a knowledgeable concierge.
* Breakfast was very nice, all a la carte, which is quite unusual.
* Great location in the old town.

The bad:
* I have nothing bad to say about this hotel.

Overall:
* This was the nicest hotel I stayed at during my trip to Quebec. I would definitely return here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garrad