“A fabulous weekend in Quebec City”

Auberge Saint-Antoine
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Chicago, Illinois
“A fabulous weekend in Quebec City”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I can't recall an experience that matches the one we had this past weekend at Auberge Saint -Antoine. It was superb in every way! The staff is a stand out--they have set a new bar for excellence. The Concierge staff assisted me in planning the details for our weekend get away which included a walking tour of the city, a baking workshop for my niece --which the concierge and head pastry chef created; dog-sledding, snow mobiling and big screen viewing of the nfl play off games. The staff --from the front desk to concierge to restaurant --made our visit a memorable one which we will not soon forget.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Returning to this hotel is always a pleasure. I am always wondering if this next visit is going to spoil the past experiences yet it never fails to satisfy.

This visit we stayed in the Maison Hunt which is a very unique part of the hotel. it was a pleasant experience.

The front desk, concierge and the valet/doormen are all excellent. In fact the doormen/valet's are some of the best their is. They are modern in their approach but totally professional.

Our rooms have always been comfortable and well maintained even though the age of the hotel is coming along. Wear and tear has been maintained and is never to the point of embarrassment.

A truly wonderful Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms with a terrace facing the old city wall are my favourite.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel is centrally located in Old Quebec City. We stayed in this winter wonderland for 3 nights last week and felt pampered from the moment we pulled the car up to the front of the hotel until the morning we left. The room was fantastic and comfortable. The thing that makes this hotel outstanding though is the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant staff, everyone was friendly, courteous and extremely helpful. The concierge planned out a day trip for us to Île d'Orléans (beautiful!) and to the Hotel de Glace (Ice Hotel) which are both within a 1/2 hour drive from the hotel. The Ice Hotel is mesmerizing!

The staff at the hotel restaurant, Panache, were the best! Greg, our maître d' knew the menu inside and out. Ian (I think that was his name), our sommelier, was equally impressively knowledgeable and each night we ate there I asked him for wine pairings throughout the meal and they were fantastique! And the meal itself -- imaginative and pure perfection. We were equally pleased with the hotel cafe-bar, Artifact.

My husband and I loved the hotel and the City so much that we really hated to leave! But hopefully, we will be back soon.

Tip: Be careful when using google maps to find the hotel. We live in Boston and google sent us to a different Saint-Antoine Street in another part of Quebec. When I told this to the concierge, he said that he advises people to enter "Museum of Civilization" as the destination (it is right next door to the hotel) to avoid confusing google with the street name.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marcysmom
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I am so glad we chose this hotel on our night in Old Quebec. Finding out that there was valet parking started this experience on a good note. The staff was very friendly and helpful... and I enjoyed the modernism of the decor a long with the relics from the past. The room was spacious and decorated nicely. The bath not only had a huge soaking tub but a beautiful glass shower, double sinks and television. And the bed was wonderfully comfortable. We chose the bed and breakfast combination so enjoyed a tasty meal, with a number of choices, before we checked out. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Old Quebec.. not only were their accommodations outstanding.. the location is near so many quaint shops and restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank kmr1976
Stockbridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Quebec City has been equated to the landmark Frontenac Hotel for some thirty years of my visits there , however extensive undergoing renovation gave me the pretext to change, luckily discovering Auberge St Antoine !
Extremely we'll located in the Old city , it was easy to find and park after a 7 hour drive from the USA ..
My wife and i found the bilingual staff genuinely friendly and helpful, from front desk to the restaurant all well versed in the art of hospitality.
The grounds are architecturally intriguing and most creatively furbished.. The bar area has alcoves rooms with fireplaces for a truly intimate feeling which we and other guest cherished for a light dinner ... until a group of children and oblivious parents took over the place marring an other wise special evening. Couples beware as I was told by the management that (noisy) children were allowed in Bar area !
The full fare Panache restaurant had the best diner and brunch I ever had in Quebec, fresh produce , excellent fish and meats ,delicious combinations assorted of a truly creative wine list and a concern for special diets will make us come back.
Our room, on the 6th floor was very pleasant .. One window overlooking a not so interesting roofing skyline another offering a limited view of the fortified city above... .a large balcony- now filled with snow - was left aside for the Summer days.
Wonderfully quiet, the space was well sized, with a desk , a bar area -Expresso machine and organic teas -. The bathroom was very spacious, modern and well appointed .
To sum it up ! My wife and I had here a great start at the New year. ...oh I forgot to mention the great tour of the City in a caleche drawn by " Peggy Sue"... as organized by Auberge St Antoine part of the package for the occasion.

Room Tip: ask for top floor room overlooking St Lawrence.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Grapeman1
AubergeSaint-Antoine, Public Relations Manager at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Grapeman1,

Thank you for posting this review on Tripadvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Auberge Saint-Antoine and that you spoke so highly about our restaurant Panache. It is true that our Café-Bar Artéfact accepts children; we offer a menu that is more accessible to them. We took note about the inappropriate noise level during your stay.
We wish to have the chance to see you again in the future and wish you a happy 2014.

Marketing Director
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I rely on TA a lot and have learned to read between the lines from reviewers. Rarely am I interested in the #1 rated hotel in any destination. However, in regards to my personal taste - this hotel and all the positive reviews are spot on.
I was attracted to visiting Old Quebec after seeing a photo of Petite Champlain decorated for Christmas. I wanted a cozy, elegant, boutique hotel for our four day stay and Auberge Saint-Antoine was quite simply, perfect.
From email correspondence to direct phone calls, every one I spoke to was... Well, let me just say, their service is exceptional - on all levels. I booked a suite and their New Years Eve pkg.
Instead of repeating the positives of what others have said, I would rather like to add my remarks on some of the negative comments.
The "bar" has about four seats - the "bar area" is perfectly sized and suited to the size of this hotel. There are cozy tables and nooks and crannies everywhere. We had drinks and appetizers one evening - never felt rushed and the service was ... see title of my review. If you are in a rush, perhaps this isn't the place for you.
We had a corner suite, and yes it was a bit drafty (lots of windows) - the temp. was also well below zero and it was very windy during our stay - Dec., 29th - Jan., 1st. So, we turned up the heat and closed the drapes - warm and cozy. Our suite had two thermostats - one in the bedroom and one on the living area end. Heated floor in the bathroom was divine and our family of four never ran out of hot water - and we all took long, hot showers.
We ate breakfast at Panache every morning and it was the best breakfast I have ever had, anywhere - atmosphere, service and food. Since I had booked the New Years Eve pkg., we had brunch on NewYears Day. All members of my family loved the salmon dish but I wasn't crazy about anything on the menu. So, I asked for eggs and croissants - no problem. They also brought toast, reg and gluten free, for my husband and daughter, as it was at their request.
My children are teenagers, well traveled and very well behaved. I do not appreciate unruly children. During our four day stay, I never saw one unruly child anywhere in the hotel.
To sum it up... Our stay was wonderful! And to quote Genevive (conceirge) - "we want to do everything we can to make our guests happy" and, from my personal experience, they certainly did.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank people2people
Dear People2People,
We are very happy to read your constructive comments but even more that you found the hotel perfect. All comments will be shared with the department heads and allow us to continue offering a great hotel day after day to our guests.
Happy New Year to you!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment . We booked to spend New Year's Eve and Jan 1st . We reserved , at quite a costs I may add for the New Year's Eve dinner and the brunch on the 1st.

Upon arrival we decided to check in to our rooms and then to have a cup of tea in the bar. The bar was far from full, a few couples sat at tables seemingly waiting to be served. We waited, nobody came to seat us so we sat at a table which had not been cleared. We waited a further 30 minutes before anybody came to serve us, 10 more minutes for somebody to clear the table , finally the hot water for my tea arrived but no milk , no spoon. I asked for both 20 minutes later when the water for the tea was cold the milk ( no spoon ) arrived. So it took me over an hour to have tepid cup of tea. It's New Year I said to myself, they are obviously a little busy. Next we went up to our room for a nice bath or shower but neither was an option as there was no hot water, we are talking about a room @ 900 $ a night. We had a draft through the door leading from the terrace too so the room was cool and certainly not comfortable. Dinner that night was Ok but why this place is considered a Relais Chateau is anybodies guess. I have been to top class hotels all over the world and this was not what we had expected. Indeed, the Thai meal we had on the 1st in a little restaurant in the old town was way better than anything on offer at the auberge.
The following morning we went down to have BRUNCH, except there was no brunch, the menu consisted of basically the same sort of things we had eaten the night before, oysters, foi gras ect. I asked if we could have any eggs or toast, anything breakfasty, the answer was "no". I am not an expert but I am old enough to know that a brunch is meant to be just that a mix of breakfast and lunch. We left and had a lovely brunch at the fairmont.
The management did deduct the cost of the Brunch we did not have and offered us breakfast on the morning of the 2nd but overall we came home feeling we had just paid a lot of money for fairly ordinary services and food. I would not go back again. The Germain and Hotel 71 have better rooms,better services.
my late father used to walk out of places like this, stamp his feet outside of the front door as if to get the dust of his feet. I did the same thing this morning.

Stayed December 2013
9 Thank Jonathan V
Dear Jonathan V,
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment about your stay and will take note of your comments and will share them with the team. Our goal is to have happy guests and to create a great memory of their stay; we only wish that you had informed us while you were still on site. We would like to invite you to contact Martin Dufour, Director of Operations at our hotel, to discuss your comments. I believe you have met during your stay.
We hope to have the chance to see you again and wish you a very happy New Year!

Marketing Director