“Two Disappointments”

Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Virginia
“Two Disappointments”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I have been fairly frequent visitors to the Auberge Saint-Antoine, having stayed there on a yearly basis over the past ten years, or so. I previously reviewed the hotel and gave it an overall excellent mark, as befits a Relais & Chateaux property. Let me first say that we still love our favorite room (501) and the wonderful view of the St. Lawrence from the room's deck. We also think the housekeeping staff is outstanding and the Restaurant Panache continues to deserve the kudos it gets. The concierge could not have been more helpful and as in past years, cheerfully made all or our restaurant reservations for us. However, this year for the first time, we had two fairly major Disappointments in our visit. The first was with the Café Bar Artifact. Each evening prior to dining my wife and I liked to have a cocktail in the Bar. This year, the bar tender and server seemed more interested in pushing tapas type food than serving customers who only wanted drinks; and the redesign of the Bar with half of it taken up with booths and tables, seemed to back this. Each evening the service was slow and the first night my wife asked for a glass of water to go with her $20.00 glass of wine (which turned out to be a very short pour). The water never appeared, even though we repeated the request when the waiter poured her wine at the table. The third evening we visited the Bar, we sat for some time and no one was behind the bar. While we waited 3 young men came in and sat in a booth. After over five minutes of waiting I went behind the bar and called into the small kitchen to the right side of the bar. After another minute or so a young woman (who turned out to be the server) came out and looked perplexed. I asked her for a Grey Goose vodka martini, straight up and a glass of the $20.00 Sauvignon Blanc my wife had been drinking the two previous nights. She smiled, and said "Just a moment". We waited a couple of more minutes while she went to the three young men and took their order. A couple of minutes later, she returned with three beers for their table. Some five more minutes passed and the bar tender finally appeared and came over and asked us what we would like (obviously the server had failed to communicate our order to him). I repeated it and he finally filled the order. All three evenings we were never asked if we wanted additional drinks as I sat with an empty glass. Each time I had to seek out the server or bar tender to get a second drink. After the third night we decided that we would not ever again attempt to have pre dinner drinks at Café Bar Artefact .
The second Disappointment occurred upon checking out. Per our usual practice, my wife went down stairs to the desk to pay the bill, while asking for a bell man to go to our room, where I waited with the luggage, and also to have our car brought up from the parking garage. The bell man appeared in short order and when I got down to the lobby, my wife was still talking to the desk clerk. I went with the bell man and luggage to the car and loaded it. I waited with the car for around 10 additional minutes, but still my wife had not appeared. I finally left the vehicle and went back in the lobby and my wife was still busy with the desk clerk. She finally finished and joined me and we went to the vehicle. I could tell she was quite angry and when we got to the car she explained that when she received a print out of the bill she noted a bar charge of $36.00 that she didn't believe was ours and asked the clerk to retrieve the charge slip. Upon reviewing the charge, it turned out that the charge was made to our room some 5 hours prior to our checking in. When she pointed this out to the female desk clerk, the desk clerk continued to argue that she couldn't or wouldn't remove the charge and that my wife must pay it as it was charged to our room. She totally kept ignoring the fact that the charge was made prior to our arriving at the hotel. While it obviously was not a huge sum, my wife was not going to pay for something we had not ordered. The female desk clerk continued argue and refuse to remove the charge, until a male desk clerk, who had been busy with another check out, finally came over and told the young lady to "just remove the charge as it obviously was not this lady's". My wife said that her husband had been waiting with the car for some time and would be furious with the delay as we had a long drive ahead of us. Still the female clerk was balking at the removal of the charge. The male desk clerk was now obviously angry with her and told her to "just remove it". Finally she did, but was still arguing about its removal; and my wife authorized payment of the new printout and received a copy of it, just as I appeared on the scene. It really left a bad taste in our mouth and probably will affect any future decision about returning to the Auberge. I apologize for the length of the review, but felt the details needed to be included.

Room Tip: Room 501 has a wonder view of the St. Lawrence and a beautifully appointed bathroom
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank VaDigby
AubergeSaint-Antoine, Director of Sales & Marketing at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Dear VaDigby,

We are truly sorry about the two disappointments you encountered during your stay. Please note that actions are taken presently so that situations like this do not happen any more.
We take great pride in looking after our guests and situations like the one's mentioned in your post are against our philosophy!
We would love to see you again to demonstrate that we can do thing right from the beginning to the end.
Kind regards,
Ingrid Lemm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
louisiana
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The Auberge Saint Antoine was a fantastic little hotel in the heart of old town with an excellent staff, bar and restaurant! It was a lovely experience. So glad we didn't stay at the Fairmont as suggested. The best part of that hotel is the exterior! It's packed with cruise ship visitors.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank nottinghillw11
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and we picked the right hotel for us. Great location. Had a car but parked it across the street in the public lot and never used it. Hotel was lovely and quaint! Great atmosphere. Our room was wonderful. Great bathroom with heated floor huge deep tub and a great shower. We had a nice view of the river. Bar area was nice to sit in and have a drink. They had a singer each night. Bar stuff very friendly. This was the best place to stay for a quiet romantic stay. Close to everything in Old Quebec City. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Talkparker
Moraga, California
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We couldn't have had more fun. Between exploring a new (and highly recommended) city Auberge Saint-Antoine provided the perfect place to rest and get ready for our next adventure.

The concierge team was fantastic, front desk and other staff friendly and efficient. Great "extra" was the full blown movie theater that is available first come, first served to view any of their DVDs. During the day there were World Cup games shown on those days, but otherwise it was wide open.

Wonderful place and great great great for kids.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Castle Pines, Colorado
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We spent 3 wonderful nights at Auberge Saint-Antoine and enjoyed it immensely. The restoration was the perfect blend of respect for the past and elegant modernity. Spectacular displays of old
Quebec artifacts within this beautiful hotel, a staff who handled every whim with grace and a
smile, a little deck offering a view of the city, comfortable beds - all first class!
Dismayed with a rental car snafu at the last minute for a trip to Tadoussac, the concierge
handled our questions patiently, with expertise, and helped us to get back on track!
I especially loved the bowls of fresh strawberries from the Ile D'Orleans.
The restaurant, Panache, was excellent, but a bit overpriced. $19 for a small bowl of soup seemed a bit high?
Our thanks to the wonderful owners and staff at ASA. Merveilleux.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancy S
United States
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We traveled with 2 other couples and spent 3 nights at the Auberge. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. Our suite was comfortable, well appointed, large bathroom and all the amenities. The renovation/construction of this hotel was done with incredible attention to detail. We were always intrigued with being able to see the old stones, old forms and the archeological artifacts strategically placed throughout the property. The staff was well informed and very helpful. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious. The location of the hotel was great for walking and sight seeing. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a river view. The river was across a parking lot. Since we didn't spend mu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 25 July 2014

With the lovely, knowledgeable staff, well-appointed rooms complete with heated bathroom floors and super comfortable beds, to the small details like archeological finds featured throughout the hotel, this place was exceptional. It lives up to its Relais and Chateau award and more.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our 6th floor room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple