“The only place to stay in Quebec City”

Auberge Saint-Antoine
Ranked #3 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Alexandria, VA
“The only place to stay in Quebec City”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I'm a hotel snob, and when I'm traveling to a locale that doesn't have a Four Seasons or a Ritz, I get nervous. But the Auberge Saint Antoine did not disappoint me. I'm almost OCD when it comes to cleanliness and quiet and am pretty hard to please. I will say that when we first checked in, we asked to move to a different room. We booked the highest level of room, with a terrace and fireplace. The first room was right in between two other rooms. I am an extremely light sleeper, so once we saw the room, we decided to go back downstairs and ask if there was another room available that was a bit more removed and private. They were very nice about it and switched us to one of the neighboring rooms (that was only bordered on one side by another room, and the other side was storage or something). The bonus was that I really hadn't liked the decor of the first room (red and very modern, which is not my style), while the second room was decorated in tasteful light blues and beiges. Score! Switching rooms was the best thing we did. We were there 4 nights. Originally supposed to stay only 3, but QC was so delightful and the Auberge so comfortable, that we extended our stay! I think we got lucky and only had a neighbor on one of those nights, but I never heard a peep out of anyone and slept like a baby. The walls are thick (it's an old building), one of the walls was even brick. The fireplace was so delightful and romantic, such a treat to have a fireplace in the room. The terrace is a shared terrace with 2 other rooms, so not too thrilled about that, but no one ever used it, and we didn't either (it was in the 40s when we were there, so a bit chilly). But it was a nice view nonetheless. The room was large, with a desk so my husband could work (unfortunately!) and a couch and plenty of space for us to spread out all of our stuff. The bathroom was very nice and modern, with subway tiles and a heated floor. Everything was very clean- no stray hairs on the sheets or linens, although I did find one or two on the bathroom floor at check-in, but nothing's perfect. Trust me, if I say something was clean, it was clean! It was a treat to sleep in, and the room was so comfortable we'd come back before dinner for an hour or so and just relax and watch tv and check email by the fireplace. The location is wonderful, too- on a quiet side street, in the heart of Lower Town (which I prefer to Upper Town) and within walking distance of everything.

Service- the staff is wonderful. As picky as I am, and asking to change rooms shortly after arriving and having the bellboy come back up and move all our stuff after he just checked us in, the staff couldn't have been nicer. The valets were all super nice too. The bar- there is a wonderfully quiet bar area with 2 little nooks with fireplaces, and the young man who served us there every night was a delight. I'm not a big drinker, but it was a treat to come back from dinner and sit down by the fireplace in the bar and be waited on and pampered and play boardgames and just relax. Now to the restaurant, Panache. You MUST eat here, whether you stay at the Auberge or not. It was THE best meal we had in QC. The food rivals what you get at a nice restaurant in DC or NY. The service was flawless. And the ambiance- probably the most charming and romantic restaurant I've ever been to. Old stone walls, beams, a fireplace, fairy lights- just so quaint and wonderful. We had an absolutely wonderful trip to Quebec City, and staying at the Auberge was a big part of that. Without a doubt, the best hotel in Quebec City and possibly all of Canada.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
AubergeSaint-Antoine, Public Relations Manager at Auberge Saint-Antoine, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Birchdene
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on Tripadvisor. Your comment is very useful since you gave us the room number in which you encountered the low noise of the machinery
We are very happy to inform you that the noise problem has been resolved in the mean time.
Kind regards,
Ingrid Lemm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2010

An experience not to be missed, offering excellent value for money. It was a joy to be on the receiving end of such a high standard of customer service, nothing was too much trouble! Our room was beautifully furnished and very comfortable with a spacious bathroom. Dining in the restaurant was an absolute delight for both dinner and breakfast. Hotel is ideally located for exploring the old town.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cumberland Center, Maine
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in October, and had a wonderful time. We were in suite 212, that was very spacious, with an interesting split level layout. The living room and bedroom were nice enough, with a comfortable bed, two HD LCD TVs, well stocked minibar (prices for water and wine were even reasonable by minibar standards). The bathroom was great, with heated floors, and a humongous tub. This was the first time my wife and I comfortably fit side by side in a tub!
The only downside to the room was that our three windows faced either the street right above the hotel entrance, the courtyard with other room windows right there, or the hotel bar... so essentially, we had to keep the curtains drawn most of the time. I suppose the higher floor rooms have much better views.
The hotel is in a great location, and one can easily walk to pretty much anywhere. The spa and gym are relatively small, but they are serviceable, and the sauna is a nice touch. Overall, we would definitely stay here again.
Perhaps the only letdown was the restaurant. After having read so many glowing reviews, I was prepared for a fantastic meal, but frankly, all our dishes were pretty average. There was nothing wrong per se, and the service was proper, but we've had many much better meals. In fact, not that they are really comparable, but we enjoyed our mussels and frites at Moss Belgian Bistro much more.

New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 October 2010

So little to complain about. Location is good, a bit of a hike up the hill to Old Quebec, but good to work off all the great meals in town. We had a king room with a terrace. Plenty of space and room for clothes. Good view of the river. Bathroom was large and the heated floors were nice suprise at night. I loved the Nespresso machine that was regularly restocked. The staff was tremendous from check-in to check out, including valet, cleaning, concierge, and front desk.

If we had not ever climbed into bed, I would agree with so many that this is one of the top 100 in the world. But isn't the main objective at a hotel to sleep. So with that said the bed needs to be updated. Both of us woke up in the middle of the night with back pain. The second night we slept across the bed for a while, not helpful as the wear of the mattress was sunken from bodies. Oh well, next time I will book a massage each morning to work out the kinks. So close to perfect, but yet, so far.

Fort Myers Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2010

This hotel is an oasis of tranquility at the end of the day. The design alone is simply incredible, from the very old to the very contemporary. They have done an incredible job of preserving,displaying and utilizing the past. So many wonderful details to enjoy and then there is the staff!! Exceptional...so friendly and helpful. We will return and only wish it would be this coming weekend.

1 Thank Jasmine59
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 October 2010

My wife and I just returned from 2 nights at Auberge Saint-Antoine. From every perspective it is our new standard for comfort and excellence. From the staff on the phone making our reservation and choosing a wonderful room to check-out, everything was fantastic. Our room with balcony was idyllic. We had great weather and could sit outside reading, looking at the river, drinking tea/espresso. The interior was modern yet comfortable. Love the shower, large bath, heated floor, espresso maker, tea kettle, wireless internet with free hookup. Location is fantastic for walking Quebec. Staff was helpful with recommendations and walking tour reservations. Our last night we ate the chef's menu at Panache, which was magnificent. Finally, the room rate was totally reasonable for the level of service and comfort.
An amazingly wonderful experience in all respects.

Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Excellent hotel. Ability to speak French an asset, but not mandatory. Rooms with espresso machine, and coffee and tea selection refreshed earh morning. Great beds and comforters. Rooms were nice and large, allowing for work area and relaxation area. Great location in lower old Quebec City. Restaurant and room service limited in selection - menu requires ability to read French. Great location with many nearby restaurants/lounges to frequent made up for limited selection of hotel fare.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business