“Rude! Tarnished our trip to Quebec City”

Hotel Royal William
Ranked #55 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Toronto
“Rude! Tarnished our trip to Quebec City”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I recently planned a spontaneous trip to Quebec City. We checked online for local hotels and came across Royal William Hotel. From the initial check in, the receptionist Claudette was rude and dismissive. My husband paid for the room and received two keys while I waited in the car out front. After finding parkIng, we walked in together. She clearly saw us together carrying our luggage to our room. When we got to our room we noticed there were no towels. We didn't think much of it and decided to get them the following morning. We than left the hotel to enjoy the evening. The receptionist was still at the desk and saw us leave together. In the morning we headed downstairs to receive our free complimentary breakfast. We only had one voucher and requested for another, she refused and stated my husband said he was staying alone. My husband was shocked and responded he requested two keys and she saw us throughout the evening. She indicated that it was non of her business who he brought back to spend the night. I was horrified as she made it seem I was a prostitute that my husband picked up the following night. She again refused to give us the second voucher. Obviously my husband wasn't going to eat breakfast alone as I sat in the lobby so we decided to skip breakfast. I than requested to have the missing towels sent to our room. She suspiciously questioned us on why the room does not have towels coming just short of accusing us of stealing them. She affirmed that she does not know why the room wouldn't have towels and she finds it weird that they were missing. Shocked and embarrassed we decided to skip the showers and head home. Terrible experience which put us off the city, the people and the Hotel Royal William.

• Stayed August 2014
10 Thank Cynthia0013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel room was lovely with a spacious bathroom. Location was close enough to the Old City to be convenient. Very disappointed with the parking situation. I was offered an indoor lot for $16 or an outdoor lot with attendant for $12. I chose the outdoor lot and the girl at the front desk marked the route on the map. At the lot, I paid $10. The next morning, I had a ticket on the car and ended up having to pay another $12 to leave. Apparently it with was $8 until 3 a.m. and a maximum of $12 for the day. The attendant couldn't explain why I would have paid $10 the night before. I called the hotel to express my displeasure with this situation and I was told that the hotel only does business with the covered lot across the street. I indicated that this was not what I was told the evening before and that they should be very clear with their clients because I ended up paying almost double what I was quoted for parking. She said this has never happened before. I am writing this review because it is, in fact, not the first time something like this has happened. Another reviewer for this hotel had a similar issue not long ago and I regret not having paid more attention to it when selecting one of the many well-placed hotels in the area. The free breakfast was nothing special though there were upgrades possible. The hotel itself is lovely but these types of issues ruined my morning and when staying at a boutique hotel, this is not acceptable.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Serena Y
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review. We are sorry for this situation but we are associated with only a parking lot. We can, if necessary, at the request of customers, offer other options, but we aren't responsible for the others parking lot. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your room. Thank you again !
Best regards,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Very comfortable stay here in nice room with view of street. The restaurant downstairs had excellent quality food and very good wine choices. Parking across the road in a secure garage was convenient. Also convenient to public transport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
First, I would like to thank you for your time, it's really appreciated ! It's a pleasure to read your great review ! We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you again in your next stay in Quebec city ! Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel in a nice area of the city. The room was small but very clean and well appointed. The room was not ready until after four, later than normal.

Room was not cleaned until after 5 on second day and only because we asked for it to be done so that we could shower and go out so needed clean towels. Housekeeper said they were busy. We had left a generous tip (as always) and it had been taken when we got back at about 3 but the dirty towels, unmade bed and full garbage cans had not been disturbed. Weird!

Desk staff was present but with little enthusiasm and seemed ambivalent, not overly helpful or happy to have guests. Weird! Kind of like visiting family that didn't want you to stay.

Location is handy to restaurants, shopping, bars, transportation including the train station and all the sights are within 30 minutes' walk once you are oriented.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
First, I would like to thank you for your time. I would like to say that this situation is exceptional. The person in charge had difficulty to manage and now she no longer works for us. Usually, we make all the rooms on time and often earlier when possible to accommodate our customers. We are sorry and we offer our sincere apologies. Thank you for your review and be sure that your comments are treated serirously. Best regards,
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Enjoyed stay at Royal William. Service was great and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Many rooms were recently renovated. The location was very good too. I would certainly recommend this hotel whether you are traveling for business or for pleasure

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Uppili S
Thank you for your great review ! It's such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay !
We hope to welcome you again in your next visit in Quebec city ! Thanks again !
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Need updated rooms, bad pillows, terrible breakfast (coffe, bread and not fresh fruits), I nedded to go to a bakery to eat more.. Nice staff, good location with restaurants and pubs near, but far from the old city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sophie S, Front Office Manager at Hotel Royal William, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time for write a review. Be sure that we consider all your comments. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed our service and our staff ! Thanks again !
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I was very disappointed with the room, as on the website the room looked very nice and modern.
However, when I arrived it was a room with a very passé decor like we were in the 80's - 90's. We were a few guests staying at the hotel and we all had old looking rooms. We asked the front desk but was told that we were just not in the newly renovated rooms. I find this unfortunate as I feel like it was a false publicity. They should advise the customer or put both pictures on their websites original rooms and renovated rooms like that we are not surprised when we arrive in our rooms. However, the breakfast/restaurant area was very nice and inside the hotel, loved the lounge area as you walk in the hotel on the right. Furthermore, having the Keurig coffee machine in the room is a great touch. The room was very clean I must say, but I did have a noisy a/c in the room which kept me up most of the night. However, the bed was very comfortable and the pillows as well. The gym is very basic and not very inviting. The parking is across the street & it is indoors which is convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.