We just returned from a 3 night stay at Maison du Fort and enjoyed every minute of it.
The room was spotless and inviting. The herringbone hardwood floors, rich molding details and deep windows are gorgeous. The windows open wide and we can see the St. Lawrence River down the street. Our room (number 1) had a pretty, nonworking fireplace and a chandelier with dimmer switch. The bathrooms are updated. The room had a good, historic feel, but with modern comfort.
One of the best aspects of the hotel is the location. It's in the upper part of Old Quebec, right between the Citadel and the Promenade. So it's easy to walk to shops, restaurants, and lower town. You can see the river from the front door. The inn is practically adjacent to Battlefields Park, which has beautiful sunken gardens, paths, rolling hills and fountains. But magically the inn is on a quiet side street with very few cars and just the occasional car or horse carriage. It makes for a peaceful stay.
The owner, Marielle, speaks both English and French, is super helpful with directions and when making reservations. And her two kitties are so sweet to see around the hallways.
The breakfast is called a "pre-breakfast" and just includes juice, coffee, tea and some breads, nothing very interesting, but it was nice to have something to drink before heading out for the day.
Overall we REALLY enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back. I can imagine just how cozy it would be in winter!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few steps away from the Citadel, Chateau Frontenac, the Governor's Garden, the Dufferin Terrace, historical sites and the Convention Center, Maison du Fort offers the charm and elegance of its almost two centuries old home including modern comfort.This Georgian style house was built in 1851 by Charles Baillarge, architect. An ideal location for travelers interested in unforgettable attractions for the Old Quebec City. History lovers will appreciate our many museums and 19th century streets. Excellent restaurants in the area are available for all gourmet eaters; shoppers will enjoy nearby boutiques and galleries.European atmosphere and fine service await you at Maison du Fort... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Maison du Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Du Fort Hotel Quebec City
- Maison Du Fort Quebec City
- Maison Du Fort Quebec/Quebec City