“Delightful Historic Hotel”
Review of Maison du Fort

Maison du Fort
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 9 October 2013

My sister and I enjoyed a wonderful week long holiday here in mid September. We booked second floor room #6, a lovely spacious room with two comfortable beds and reclining easy chairs. It was ideal for two sisters sharing. We were delighted with the charming decoration and restoration in this historic building. This was the first visit to Old Quebec City for both of us, and Marielle's warm greeting on our late evening arrival set the tone for the whole visit. I can't say enough about how friendly and helpful Marielle is, with suggestions of what to see, advising about tours and finally a very early morning taxi for us when we departed after our week long stay. As well, Marielle's brother and the cleaning staff were all so welcoming. This hotel is ideally situated, within easy walking distance to all the sights and with many excellent restaurants nearby. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again if I return to Quebec City.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Meg1921
There are newer reviews for Maison du Fort

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Our first visit to Quebec City for our anniversary. We loved Maison du Fort. Marielle was away for a well deserved break when we arrived, but her brother was the gracious host. Room #5 was perfect for our four nights. The location was great; easy access to the upper and lower old city. Great restaurants nearby, lots to see and do. We lucked into a world class cycling race the weekend we were there as a special treat. We would definitely go back to Quebec City and stay again at Maison du Fort.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just spent 6 nights on our honeymoon here. I can't begin to say enough nice things about this wonderful location! When we first arrived, I immediately felt the warm hospitality from Marielle. Originally, we were going to have to switch rooms during our stay there because the room we originally wanted was booked some of the nights but when we arrived she told me she was able to get us into the one room the entire time! I was so happy that she had made that change for us. She was so hopeful throughout our entire stay. Our room was nice and comfortable. In the morning, she has a nice set up of breakfast cakes and pasties with coffee, oj and tea. The location can't be beat, so convenient to many great restaurants and near the river. If you stay here, you won't be disappointed!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I had a two night pre-cruise stay at Maison du Fort. The booking process was great with a quick confirmation from Marielle, the owner. I requested room 10 and was pleased that it was available. We were advised that the room was on the top floor and that there was no elevator. This was not a problem for us as we are active seniors. The location was the best we could have asked for; it was just below the citadel with all of old Quebec City below us. We had checked on Google Maps and it indicated that Maison du Fort was only a 20 minute walk from the train station. However, it was not indicated that it was ALL UPHILL!!! LOL The hotel is beautiful inside and very clean and comfortable. I managed to sprain my foot on the second day but still managed to hobble many kilometers during our stay. It is the perfect location, with the perfect host and the almost perfect room. If I had one concern, it was the lack of storage space in the bathroom for toiletries.

Room Tip: Large corner room with water view. Windows on two sides. Comfy wing back recliners and very comforta...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Position could not be better. Quiet at night other than creaking floor boards above. Room was very clean and a good size with bay window (Room 5). Would recommend.

Can't remove mark for swimming pool and fitness centre below.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank JSC2852
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for an extended weekend in the smallest room available. We knew the room was small when we booked and it was actually perfect since we basically only slept in the room. The other, larger rooms offered looked very nice when I saw them in passing.

The place was very very clean and well lit and the owner/host was a very friendly woman who exemplified the great hospitality of Québécois!

Would book again. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My daughter and I traveled to Quebec in August and we had booked our first two nights at Maison du Fort. I chose this hotel based on the great reviews here and I was extremely pleased. At the time of booking, Marielle had availability for two nights but was booked for the following nights. Upon arrival I asked her if it was still booked up (it was) and if so could she recommend somewhere for a few more nights after our stay. She made a phone call and she found another place for us right away to go to after. That type of service is rare. And Marielle's enthusiasm is infectious. She knows what is going on, who to see, where to go and it's obvious she really loves what she does. As for the hotel, it is amazing. I felt like I was back in Europe. The room we had was perfect. And coffee and cake in the morning was first rate. The location could not be better. I can't say enough good things about Maison du Fort. It was the ideal start to our vacation and we instantly felt welcome in beautiful Quebec.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family