“Little Gem in Old Quebec City”
Review of Maison du Fort

Maison du Fort
Ranked #3 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Leamington, Canada
“Little Gem in Old Quebec City”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

let me just start off by saying that when we arrived, we were greeted by Marielle, the owner, and it felt like I was just arriving at my favorite aunts house, she was so warm and inviting and made us immediately feel very much at home. We arrived very early in the morning, too early for our room to be ready, Marielle happily took our bags and kept them in her own space for us and then suggested a few places we could go for breakfast. We walked the amazing streets of old Quebec City and shopped for a bit and then returned to another warm greeting from Marielle who showed us to our room. Room #10 is on the third floor, our view was of the Chateau Frontenac, just amazing! the room itself has such old world character. It was warm and welcoming. I would definitely recommend this little gem and we are already looking forward to a return trip to the Masion du Fort next New Years Eve.

3 Thank DEBBIE B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Czech first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My family and I recently stayed at Maison du fort over the Christmas period. Marielle, the owner is fantastic. She was extremely accommodating with everything, from booking restaurants, organizing dog sledding and taxis. The rooms were spacious with great views down the street of Old Quebec and glimpses of the river. The location of the hotel is excellent and within walking distance of many restaurants, shops and historical interests.
Would love to return one day. Thank you for such an enjoyable experience. It was like a home a way from home!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank meg p
North East, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Exactly what we were looking for in the old city, within in walking distance to all the upper and lower sections-so a vehicle is NOT needed and in fact would be a hinderance. Marielle is a delight-more than helpful, gracious and so welcoming. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and very European in design and feel-all a PLUS for us. We stayed in room 5, the coffee and pastries in the AM are exceptional and the ability to take them to your room and plan your day made it feel like you were home. Would definately stay there again and recommend to any traveler as this was our FOURTH trip to Quebec City!

Also as a sidebar Quebec City in winter MAGNIFIQUE!!!! Don't miss it!!!

Room Tip: if mobility is an issue stick to either the first or second floor no elevator
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank kram5161
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend an I had AMAZING experience at the Maison du Fort. The room was spectacular,cozy and warm with great views of the streets of Old Quebec.
The locaction was perfect too-everyday we got up and discovered this snow covered magical city!! It was literally like stepping into a dickens novel when you walked around the streets of this great city!!

If you are going to stay in Quebec City and want amazing service, warm,cozy,beautiful rooms..while being close to EVERYTHING...stay at the MAISON DU FORT.

Thanks for an amazing experience!!

- from Johanna and Jordan
*stayed december18-22, 2013*

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jordan1979
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here just before the Christmas break. Unfortunately, the day we arrived we both got a terrible case of food poisoning (from left-overs) and ended up spending the next day bed ridden. I can say this is definitely the most comfortable place I have ever been while on the verge of death. Marielle was perfectly accommodating and the rooms were gorgeous and lived up to what the photos promised. The bathroom is clean, but purely functional.

The only downsides were the shutters could do a better job of blocking light, they don't close completely, and the room was a little noisy, as the hotel is right next to the street. However, neither of these problems were bad enough to prevent us from getting a good nights rest.

1 Thank James D
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I unfortunately was not able to stay at this hotel, but would like to describe my experience trying to book a reservation there.
I had been looking forward to a trip to QC for quite some time and based on Trip Advisor this place looked like an excellent choice for where to stay. And knowing I was going over carnival weekend I wanted to book early- when I contacted the lady here she told me to call back in December, too early to book. In December sent an e-mail with no response. Called her and asked for pricing and availability- since I was only going to be there for two nights and not the full three nights of the holiday weekend she said "too bad" that she was looking for someone for all three nights.
As a small business owner can I see where she is coming from? Yes. Do I appreciate her mannerism, how there is no mention of a policy like this on her website, and the time I have lost in finding a different place to stay? I do not.

3 Thank whereisdave
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We came up to Quebec City for a weekend this winter. Marielle is a great host and we had a very comfortable stay. We stayed in room 10 and it had a great view and cozy sitting area. The little treats she put out in the morning with coffee and tea were quite nice. It is in a great location with only a few minute walk to anything in the Old part of the city.

Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 10 has a great view in the winter with no leaves on the trees.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple