This was my wife and I's first trip to Quebec City for our anniversary. After reading reviews from here on Trip Advisor and looking at other sites (Frommers -- it has a GREAT section on things to do while in Quebec City, by the way) and thoroughly researching, we decided to stay at Maison Du Fort because of the cost and location. must say that the Maison Du Fort exceeded our expectaions. First of all, Marielle was a wonderful host.. wait, "wonderful" doesn't do her justice. She was courteous, helpful (like helping get the best route to the Citadel and finding good restaurants) and a very gracious host. Be advised that Maison Du Fort is like a hybrid of a hotel and bed and breakfast.THE PLACE IS GREAT!! ! In fact, the interior design of the rooms was magnificent, as can be seen on their website (----- ... look at the pics, they give you a VERY good idea of the rooms) Individual rooms, very nicely decorated... very very nicely decorated. By no means is it lacking in style, cleanliness and location. It was wonderful. We stayed in Room #5 ( we recommend it. It was a lovely blue room, with stonework on the walls... has a bay window looking out to the street with a small seating area, a nice large stand up shower and sink, TV with cable, VERY VERY comfy bed, and classy look to it). Word of note: STAY IN ROOM #5!!! Its great! and even though Marielle states on her website that there is a small morning starter like muffins and what not, you can be sure that what we found was MUCH more like a Continental Breakfast. It was great. Home baked Zucchini bread, coffee, tea and all sorts of treats in a nice sun room with a piano. We met the other house guests and it was all very nice. Where else can you meet other house guests and chat?? Besides Marielle, the beauty of the room, the big thing is the location... we were literally ONE SMALL BLOCK away from Chateau Frontenac, the Boardwalk and great restaurants down Rue St. Louis, and the rest of Old Quebec. So not only was it quiet at night, but it was so close to everything that it wasnt a trek at all to get to restaurants or shops!! This is my first review and will say that the reason why I am reviewing Maison Du Fort: because IT WAS EXCELLENT. Where else can you pay 175$ CDN a night in the MIDDLE of the tourist district, at the heart of everything and get a great room?? I mean, the Chateau Frontenac youre paying twice that, and without Marielle's hospitality!!! I have never had reason to review a hotel before, but after experiencing the hospitality and style and cost effectiveness of Maison Du Fort, I will recommend to all that if you want to experience Old Quebec City at the best cost, with a great classy room to boot, forget the Hilton or whatnot: choose Maison Du Fort.
P.S. No, I dont work for her... it was just that good!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A few steps away from the Citadel, Chateau Frontenac, the Governor's Garden, the Dufferin Terrace, historical sites and the Convention Center, Maison du Fort offers the charm and elegance of its almost two centuries old home including modern comfort.This Georgian style house was built in 1851 by Charles Baillarge, architect. An ideal location for travelers interested in unforgettable attractions for the Old Quebec City. History lovers will appreciate our many museums and 19th century streets. Excellent restaurants in the area are available for all gourmet eaters; shoppers will enjoy nearby boutiques and galleries.European atmosphere and fine service await you at Maison du Fort... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and Ebookers so you can book your Maison du Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maison Du Fort Hotel Quebec City
- Maison Du Fort Quebec City
- Maison Du Fort Quebec/Quebec City