“Location and budget.”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at the Hi-Quebec. The staff was altogether very friendly. From the check-in to the check-out they were very helpful to help and answer any questions.
Even with the hostel full they managed to keep it clean. It was a good price for the location (which is close to ALL the touristic spots), and the beds were comfortable enough for a hostel. The bathrooms were large enough and were pretty clean.
The lockers were big enough, I could even fit a small backpack (bring your own lock).
What I didn't like the most was the bedroom that had a really bad smell - but everyone seemed to handle it.
Not a big issue but there were no wifi in the rooms. The wi-fi network in the reception didn't work for guests, the only network that we could connect was the café (which is in the last down level), it had a poor signal in the common rooms - if you wanted to use internet you had to go all the way down to the café/bar. The internet access is limited, so if you're staying for too many nights (I stayed for 4 nights) you better save it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Good day to you,
First I would like to thank you for the time taken to write about us, we do appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately we do not have any control on what travellers bring into their backpack, and sometimes it can bring a different odor in the room, if we had known you could of changed your room, hope to see you back at the hostel to show you that, that case is an isolated case which we do not have any control if we are not aware of it, hope you did like the rest of your stay with us, hope to see you soon...

Carolynn

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Quebec and this is where we spent our first night. We were in a mixed 4 person room with a window to the courtyard. The room was so hot when we got in but the nice big windows opened up to the courtyard.
I loved the location. Inside the walls of the old city and close enough to walk every where. The hostel was huge! I mean gigantic, we got lost like 3 times.
Like other travelers have said, this isn't your typical backpacker's hostel. There were business men, older couples, families, etc. That was an interesting atmosphere, not bad just different. Breakfast was included with out stay so that was nice.
The only problem we had was later at night. There were some drunken guys in the courtyard that night that were singing very loudly. We couldn't close the windows because it would be so hot in the room. Thankfully after a while they quieted down. Then an older gentleman across the way opened his window and we thought he saw us so we just ignored it. What we didn't know was that was the window to the men's showers. He didn't seem to get he opened the window facing a bunch of other windows. So he got naked and took a shower, then another guy came along and even though we kept the drapes closed there were cracks and I'm pretty sure they thought we were spying on them. It was very uncomfortable, our bunk bed was right in front of the window so I couldn't even sit or lay on the bed. We had no idea what to do, should we yell over? We ended up closing the windows and suffered through the heat of the room. It's no fault of the hostel, maybe just a design flaw, but that was really awkward. Maybe there should be a sign in the bathroom or something?
Despite that interesting development I would stay there again. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. I really liked the lights and little shelves for each bed. Very useful.

Room Tip: Watch out when you open your windows, you might not like what you see across the way.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Good day,
We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience, it, is the first time that reported something smilaire, we are putting a posters in the bathroom today. Comments are so important to us, it's the best way to improve constantly. Thanks for your time in writting this note, it's been already taken care.

Hope to see you back at our hostel.
Take care

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This hostel was in a great location, perfect for being able to walk straight out the door into the heart of Quebec old town. However, the vibe in this hostel was quite different to other ones in stayed in around Canada and the US. As Quebec is quite expensive for hotels, a lot of people choose this hostel due to the cheaper pricing. Because of this, there are a lot of older people and families and children. So as a solo backpacker it was hard to meet young likeminded people. Still a lovely hostel just a really low key, quiet vibe with not a lot happening. Definitely not a party hostel by any means. Breakfast was available but for an additional cost of $5 a day.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Alisha F
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Good day to you,
Thank you so much for your comment. Our hostel in a multi age hostel, during summer time we have people from all ages, most of the time they are older backpakers with their kids to teach them hostel lodging, during winter time we do have younger travellers at our establishment.

Come back during winter time to experience snow and our weather you will have younger travellers.

have a great day !

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

The hostel is in a great location right in the middle of old Quebec. Easy to walk around. The rooms are spacious and well maintained although there is no elevator so lugging a large suitcase up the staircase can be a bit of an issue. However the staff are very friendly and happy to help in both French and English. The activities run by the hostel are well planned and executed and made my stay in the gorgeous city very enjoyable. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Good day to you,
Thank you for your time in writing your nice comment, the hostel is innovating constantly, our Customer do like to stay here because of the great location !

Hope to have the chance to have you back at our establishment.
Take care

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Really good location, large rooms, good activities if you want to join the group and have some fun.
Good breakfast too.
I love the shower haha
Clean hostel, friendly staff, wifi, phones, tv, etc etc
I recommend it, really like being there, knowing new nice people from everywhere.
You just walk through the city and you will find everything you need.
Ótimo hostel, muito bem localizado, atividades legais em grupo, café da manhã muito bom.
Chuveiro é otimo
Hostel limpo, staff maneiro, wifi, telefone, tv, etc etc
Recomendo, realmente gostei de me hospedar lá, conhecer novas pessoas de tds lugares.
Se vc for andando vai encontrar tudo que precisa.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Good day to you,
Thank you so much for your comment, we are happy to read that all the energy we put in our hostel to assure an memorable stay to our travelers is accomplished

Hi hostel are always well located and unique

Hope to see you back at our hostel !

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a good solid choice for a hostel. The location is perfect, it's right in the old town, with short walking distance to everything, and the neighborhood is amazing! I stayed in an 8 Bed female dorm, and had no complaints. The lockers were a little old and dirty, but I wasn't too concerned about it. I thought the bed was comfortable, and for as many people as there were, it was really clean, including the bathrooms. I loved the little patio and garden in the back. I didn't use the downstairs bar (closes early - 11 pm) or the breakfast (not included). It definitely feels more like a hotel than a hostel, which made it seem harder to meet and interact with your fellow travelers. But it's definitely a great choice, and you've gotta love the price. I'd stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Good day,
Thank you so much for your time in writting your nice comment. We are very lucky for our location, the hostel does it best to assure every one stay memorable.

Hope to see you back soo

best regards

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here 2 nights in a female dorm room. Originally I was only planning to stay overnight but due to lack of foresight Toronto was booked out and I ended up staying an extra night which was sorted out easily enough, front desk said I would need to strip my bed and change rooms though. I went down the next morning to 'check out' having packed up all my things and stripped my bed for the girl on desk to say she would move things around so that I could keep the same bed. That was great, but having already prepared to change pretty frustrating! Aside from that small point, staff were great and very helpful.

This hostel is HUGE, it's more akin to a hotel in many ways. They do have activities organised by the hostel and perhaps had I stayed longer I might have felt more at home. They have an equally huge kitchen which was great, washing facilities available, as well as a bar.

The internet connection is limited - something that wasn't mentioned until I discovered I had been capped out. Had I realised that I probably wouldn't have downloaded a movie to watch. Luckily you could connect through a different router so I wasn't without.

It's a great location, right in the middle of old Quebec. Its not far from a supermarket BUT it is a very steep hill to come back up with your groceries!!

Perhaps the only downside is of no fault of the hostel but I was woken up around 5am both nights by people packing up their stuff for an early checkout - full plastic bag shuffling, alarm ringing, creaky floorboard stepping, door slamming, zip pulling, packing. Thanks guys, could you have perhaps done most of that the night before?

Overall this served my purpose quite well, I was a little uncomfortable being in the city in general as I don't speak any French so I don't think this was ever going to be my most amazing stay in a hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Hayley Z
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Bonjour,
Thank you so much for the time taken to write this review. Our hostel has the best location directly into major attraction in a cultural environment. We did take into consideration your comment with regards of 5am check out; unfortunately as for now we have no specific rules on that kind of matter but we think that your point is very important we will look up to see how to improve. Hope to see you back at our hostel.