“Some flaws, but I would stay here again with a portable safe”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The front desk staff and bartender was friendly, the dorm room was clean, and the location was very good.

My biggest concern was the wooden lockers. I was very disappointed to see that all of the screws of my locker door were almost completely out. The staff heard my complaint and allowed me to use another one, but I didn't feel much better because clearly, if I was a determined thief, it would be very easy to take a simple screwdriver and take out the screws. So put your stuff in the lockers at your own risk.

In my experience with other hostels (mainly in Japan), the staff was more than happy to keep my luggage for the day after I checked out without any fees. Here, you have to pay to use a (much better) metal locker near the front desk. I'm not sure if this is the norm in most hostels in North America.

However, this hostel is a total package. They even provide you with a towel. As long as you know what to expect, you shouldn't have any problems. And bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Good day to you,
Thanks for your constructive comment, our staff is looking into the lockers as I write to you. We are sorry about the problem with your locker. We don't have robbery at our hostel, we are very proud of our travellers for that.

Unfortunately we have more than 260 beds and this is the main reason why we don't keep luggages of our Customer, it would be to much to handle. We can understand that in smaller hostel it is possible to do so and surely understand your disapointment, sorry for this issue.

Hope to see you back at our hostel if you come back in our wonderful region !!
Wish you a lot of travel for 2014 !!

There are newer reviews for HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec

Reviewed 7 January 2014

It was my first time in a hostel and I definitely would do it again! There was a wide range of travellers from young adults, single travellers, couples, groups as well as young families. We stayed in a private room, since there was five of us, and it worked very well. The bunk beds were as comfortable as bunk beds can be and the room was very clean. It is also very close to everything, we walked for most things.The staff were so friendly and would help you with anything you need, and give great recommendations as well. Next time I'm in Quebec City I know where I'm staying!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Happy new Year dear new traveller,

First I would like to thank you for your time in writting your comment. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our location as much as our employe's. We are very proud of our hostel and staff, travel in hostel in the best way to travel, wishing you a good 2014 filled up with travelling...
Best Regards

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is not a charming boutique hostel like many that you can find throughout Europe these days, but it IS clean, extremely well-located within the old city, and an unbeatable value. I stayed for a week in December in a 6-bed female dorm for 18$CAD/night (I am a HI member, which at this property gave me a 4$/night discount, so the non-member rate still would have been a steal at 22$). The beds are not comfortable, but the room was generously sized (I think it was a corner room) and the lockers were a sufficient size to fit a rolling carry-on with some space to spare in front. The showers are SMALL but reasonably clean; the common areas were constantly damp because of the snow being tracked in from outside, but otherwise clean. And the front desk was able to adjust the temperature in our room, which was a bit too chilly for the unseasonably cold week we had. So while I don't think I can give this hostel 5 stars knowing what else is out there, I do think that this is an excellent choice for Quebec and I will certainly return if I find myself in the city again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Bonjour,

Thank you for your taking some of your time to write your comments. Our establishment is a non profitable hostel, well located in the heart of Old Québec with the best employee's of the city.

We are happy to read that you loved the place and please come back to see the 2014 changes...
Happy new year from our team!!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I have been there twice and each time was a great experience.

Big and clean room and very quiet.

Excellent service and friendly staff.(Maxime that work at night shift).
I had a great chat with Maxime. .

Room Tip: 15 minutes walk from the Bus or Train Station.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Good day to you,
Thank you so much for your review, we are happy to read that you enjoyed your time here at our hostel.

Wishing you a great 2014 from all our staff !!!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

It took me a while to write this review but I would highly recommend staying here! The entire place is just so full of character and charm -- LOVED that. It is famous enough that even though our taxi driver did not speak (very much) English, she knew what we meant and where it was immediately. Check in took a while as there was a line, but it was a smooth process and staff were friendly/helpful in pointing us towards wherever we wanted to go. The activities on offer looked interesting though we did not join in as we were only there for a night. No ensuite washroom but the washroom itself was clean (though only 1 shower so I had a bit of a wait -- I figured out that the best way around this is to shower at awkard times) and though definitely aged, it met my high standards :) I am, really, really, fussy about washrooms. The lockers provided in the rooms were huge! Plus! Laundry was also convenient -- $1.50 for a load, and they have more luggage storage for only $2 which was convenient as we had a late train ride. The value for this place is excellent, and the location of the hostel is excellent and near to just about every single tourist attraction in QC.

What I did not like about this place was that they do not offer female or male dorms when booking, but in the end, ended up separating the dorms into male and female anyway. It was awkward for me as other guests in the room kept on bringing their guy friends in (one of whom was sitting on my bed when I walked into the room).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

We would like to thank you for your comment. Comments are the best way to improve our services the way our travellers wants it to be. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in our establishment.
The team of our hostel wishes you Happy Holidays !!!

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at the Hi-Quebec. The staff was altogether very friendly. From the check-in to the check-out they were very helpful to help and answer any questions.
Even with the hostel full they managed to keep it clean. It was a good price for the location (which is close to ALL the touristic spots), and the beds were comfortable enough for a hostel. The bathrooms were large enough and were pretty clean.
The lockers were big enough, I could even fit a small backpack (bring your own lock).
What I didn't like the most was the bedroom that had a really bad smell - but everyone seemed to handle it.
Not a big issue but there were no wifi in the rooms. The wi-fi network in the reception didn't work for guests, the only network that we could connect was the café (which is in the last down level), it had a poor signal in the common rooms - if you wanted to use internet you had to go all the way down to the café/bar. The internet access is limited, so if you're staying for too many nights (I stayed for 4 nights) you better save it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Good day to you,
First I would like to thank you for the time taken to write about us, we do appreciate it a lot. Unfortunately we do not have any control on what travellers bring into their backpack, and sometimes it can bring a different odor in the room, if we had known you could of changed your room, hope to see you back at the hostel to show you that, that case is an isolated case which we do not have any control if we are not aware of it, hope you did like the rest of your stay with us, hope to see you soon...

Carolynn

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Quebec and this is where we spent our first night. We were in a mixed 4 person room with a window to the courtyard. The room was so hot when we got in but the nice big windows opened up to the courtyard.
I loved the location. Inside the walls of the old city and close enough to walk every where. The hostel was huge! I mean gigantic, we got lost like 3 times.
Like other travelers have said, this isn't your typical backpacker's hostel. There were business men, older couples, families, etc. That was an interesting atmosphere, not bad just different. Breakfast was included with out stay so that was nice.
The only problem we had was later at night. There were some drunken guys in the courtyard that night that were singing very loudly. We couldn't close the windows because it would be so hot in the room. Thankfully after a while they quieted down. Then an older gentleman across the way opened his window and we thought he saw us so we just ignored it. What we didn't know was that was the window to the men's showers. He didn't seem to get he opened the window facing a bunch of other windows. So he got naked and took a shower, then another guy came along and even though we kept the drapes closed there were cracks and I'm pretty sure they thought we were spying on them. It was very uncomfortable, our bunk bed was right in front of the window so I couldn't even sit or lay on the bed. We had no idea what to do, should we yell over? We ended up closing the windows and suffered through the heat of the room. It's no fault of the hostel, maybe just a design flaw, but that was really awkward. Maybe there should be a sign in the bathroom or something?
Despite that interesting development I would stay there again. The rooms and bathrooms were clean. I really liked the lights and little shelves for each bed. Very useful.

Room Tip: Watch out when you open your windows, you might not like what you see across the way.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Good day,
We are sincerely sorry for this inconvenience, it, is the first time that reported something smilaire, we are putting a posters in the bathroom today. Comments are so important to us, it's the best way to improve constantly. Thanks for your time in writting this note, it's been already taken care.

Hope to see you back at our hostel.
Take care