“great location and facilities”

HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec
Reviewed 9 May 2014

right in the heart of old town so can get to most of the main attractions on foot. The place is clean and tidy and one of the more quiet hostels so a good nights sleep is had (perhaps the walls are thicker?). The breakfast you can pay extra for (a few dollars a day) has coffee, fruit, toast/bagels and cereals - well worth the extra for the breakfast. Nice big kitchen and common areas too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hi to you,
Thank you so much for your nice comment. It is true that for few dollars more you have a lot more ! We are glad to see you enjoyed your time at our hoste, fell free to come back there will new things to see ;-)

Enjoy your time travelling

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Quite possibly the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect you are within walking distance of all the attractions in Old Town, and can easily walk into downtown to catch a bus or go to a bar.

Room Tip: 4 bedroom dorm with breakfast included is excellent value.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Good day,
Thank you very much for your time in writting that nice comment, we do our best to satisfy our wonderful travellers, our comments about the cleanless of this hostel is common. We are very well located for travellers since we are in the heart of Old Québec city.

We will have new features in few months, come back and see ;-)
Enjoy travelling !!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

The location is perfect, just 15 minutos from train/bus station and its inside the walls so you can get anywhere by foot and discover a lot of wonderful places. The hostel is really big, so big that it can be confused with a hotel! The facilities are awesome (kitchen with everything you need!) dorms are very clean and really comfy. staff is quite friendly, and maybe the only downside I felt was that wifi was limited to 1gb per week so do not download movies, videos or stuff like that... although I doubt you will need that amount of internet with all the activities and stuff to do outside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NicolasRuiz
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Good day to you,
Thank you so much for your precious comment. We can see that you are use to travel, each point or aspect of our hostel is nicely describe here, thanks ! Our wifi is in evolution, we are having wifi in optical fiber before the end of this month, so it will be faster, there will be a possibilty to pay en extra to be able to download movies and stuff like that in a near futur. Since a hostel has the main priority to gather people together the wifi available is 1 go per day.

Hope to see you soon, at least come and try our new wifi !

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Well placed, this charming hostel is within only a few minutes walk from the most interesting spots in the beautiful ville de Quebec. A lavish breakfast - for hostels average standards - tops it off. Quite pleasant experience.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Good day,
thank you so much for your time in writting your comment, yes we are well located and offer very good service to our travellers. we are HI are proud to be.

come back soon !

Reviewed 9 January 2014

The front desk staff and bartender was friendly, the dorm room was clean, and the location was very good.

My biggest concern was the wooden lockers. I was very disappointed to see that all of the screws of my locker door were almost completely out. The staff heard my complaint and allowed me to use another one, but I didn't feel much better because clearly, if I was a determined thief, it would be very easy to take a simple screwdriver and take out the screws. So put your stuff in the lockers at your own risk.

In my experience with other hostels (mainly in Japan), the staff was more than happy to keep my luggage for the day after I checked out without any fees. Here, you have to pay to use a (much better) metal locker near the front desk. I'm not sure if this is the norm in most hostels in North America.

However, this hostel is a total package. They even provide you with a towel. As long as you know what to expect, you shouldn't have any problems. And bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Good day to you,
Thanks for your constructive comment, our staff is looking into the lockers as I write to you. We are sorry about the problem with your locker. We don't have robbery at our hostel, we are very proud of our travellers for that.

Unfortunately we have more than 260 beds and this is the main reason why we don't keep luggages of our Customer, it would be to much to handle. We can understand that in smaller hostel it is possible to do so and surely understand your disapointment, sorry for this issue.

Hope to see you back at our hostel if you come back in our wonderful region !!
Wish you a lot of travel for 2014 !!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

It was my first time in a hostel and I definitely would do it again! There was a wide range of travellers from young adults, single travellers, couples, groups as well as young families. We stayed in a private room, since there was five of us, and it worked very well. The bunk beds were as comfortable as bunk beds can be and the room was very clean. It is also very close to everything, we walked for most things.The staff were so friendly and would help you with anything you need, and give great recommendations as well. Next time I'm in Quebec City I know where I'm staying!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Happy new Year dear new traveller,

First I would like to thank you for your time in writting your comment. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our location as much as our employe's. We are very proud of our hostel and staff, travel in hostel in the best way to travel, wishing you a good 2014 filled up with travelling...

Reviewed 25 December 2013

This is not a charming boutique hostel like many that you can find throughout Europe these days, but it IS clean, extremely well-located within the old city, and an unbeatable value. I stayed for a week in December in a 6-bed female dorm for 18$CAD/night (I am a HI member, which at this property gave me a 4$/night discount, so the non-member rate still would have been a steal at 22$). The beds are not comfortable, but the room was generously sized (I think it was a corner room) and the lockers were a sufficient size to fit a rolling carry-on with some space to spare in front. The showers are SMALL but reasonably clean; the common areas were constantly damp because of the snow being tracked in from outside, but otherwise clean. And the front desk was able to adjust the temperature in our room, which was a bit too chilly for the unseasonably cold week we had. So while I don't think I can give this hostel 5 stars knowing what else is out there, I do think that this is an excellent choice for Quebec and I will certainly return if I find myself in the city again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Carolynn D, Manager at HiQuebec, Auberge Internationale de Quebec, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Bonjour,

Thank you for your taking some of your time to write your comments. Our establishment is a non profitable hostel, well located in the heart of Old Québec with the best employee's of the city.

We are happy to read that you loved the place and please come back to see the 2014 changes...
Happy new year from our team!!