We were unfortunately not satisfied with our stay in this auberge.
It started with the arrival:
When we arrived, we were not offered any help with our luggage.
I am in 7th month pregnant (which was obvious) and we were given a room on 2nd floor. So my husband had to carry the luggage upstairs all himself, while your (male) colleague at the reception was only watching it (and had nothing to do, as we were the only guests arriving and there was really no traffic at all - he was surfing in the internet in the meantime). So this was quite disappointing.
And before you say that we could have complained during our stay: allright, but then please speak English with us. I DO speak French, but not very good, and when I asked your colleague if he spoke English, he said: "Only a little". Excuse me, but Québec is still in Canada! I think it is just not very hospitable to act like this.
Next thing was that this was the only hotel in our whole 3 weeks stay in Canada, which didn't offer us a map from the city. We were given a map of the surrounding streets, but not of Québec (!).
I have to say that the room was ok, it was spacious and clean, but not very lovingly furnished. But ok.
Regarding the sustainable and fair trade approach: This is not more than any other engaged hotels in the world do (except your shop maybe, which I can't judge as we didn't have time to visit it).
I really do value this approach a lot, but I think you have to deliver and not only advertise it.
Breakfast really doesn’t fit any sustainable standards. For example the fruit platter: Kiwis and oranges? Not sustainable due to the long transportation. Why not offer apples, which grow next door in Canada? Why not offer fresh eggs from a farmer around the corner? Why is the milk offered in plastic containers and not fresh from a farmer? Why is jam offered in small plastic boxes? There were so many things I didn’t really understand. And don’t get me wrong: I’m not an eco-terrorist at all, but I really do value quality. And I think, when you advertise it so much as you do, you should really compete with your guidelines.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At l'Auberge l'Autre Jardin, you will enjoy being responsible consumers and will experience a concept in tourism unique in Quebec City!L'Autre Jardin, a thoroughly urban inn, is an offshoot of Carrefour Tiers-Monde, an organization of international cooperation that aims to further sustainable development and fair trade on our planet.L'Auberge l'Autre Jardin invites you to discover the heart of Quebec City with its original boutiques, venues and restaurants; an area bustling with artists, students and high tech entrepreneurs, just a few minutes away from the Old City. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Cancelon so you can book your L'Autre Jardin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- l`Autre Jardin Hotel Quebec City
- L'Autre Jardin Quebec/Quebec City