“Not a place to recommend”
Review of L'Autre Jardin

L'Autre Jardin
Ranked #42 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We were unfortunately not satisfied with our stay in this auberge.

It started with the arrival:

When we arrived, we were not offered any help with our luggage.
I am in 7th month pregnant (which was obvious) and we were given a room on 2nd floor. So my husband had to carry the luggage upstairs all himself, while your (male) colleague at the reception was only watching it (and had nothing to do, as we were the only guests arriving and there was really no traffic at all - he was surfing in the internet in the meantime). So this was quite disappointing.

And before you say that we could have complained during our stay: allright, but then please speak English with us. I DO speak French, but not very good, and when I asked your colleague if he spoke English, he said: "Only a little". Excuse me, but Québec is still in Canada! I think it is just not very hospitable to act like this.

Next thing was that this was the only hotel in our whole 3 weeks stay in Canada, which didn't offer us a map from the city. We were given a map of the surrounding streets, but not of Québec (!).

I have to say that the room was ok, it was spacious and clean, but not very lovingly furnished. But ok.

Regarding the sustainable and fair trade approach: This is not more than any other engaged hotels in the world do (except your shop maybe, which I can't judge as we didn't have time to visit it).
I really do value this approach a lot, but I think you have to deliver and not only advertise it.
Breakfast really doesn’t fit any sustainable standards. For example the fruit platter: Kiwis and oranges? Not sustainable due to the long transportation. Why not offer apples, which grow next door in Canada? Why not offer fresh eggs from a farmer around the corner? Why is the milk offered in plastic containers and not fresh from a farmer? Why is jam offered in small plastic boxes? There were so many things I didn’t really understand. And don’t get me wrong: I’m not an eco-terrorist at all, but I really do value quality. And I think, when you advertise it so much as you do, you should really compete with your guidelines.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia_Stuttgart
There are newer reviews for L'Autre Jardin

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had a clean room but poorly located. I am not fond of the decoration that features acryliic bedspread. Especially if the inspiration is Africa.
The view : a dark aluminium wall. No daylight whatsoever. Terrible service in the afternoon as opposed to the very helpful attitude of the person in the morning. Breakfast is very generous.
NicelY located. Quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marie S
SandrineViel, General Manager at L'Autre Jardin, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Custumer,

I would like to thank you for the time you are taking in describing your experience in our hotel even if I am bit disappointed to have not been able to pleased you more. I am happy to see that our morning staff welcome you well and will make sur that you have the same feeling in the evening.

Next time, do not hesitate to ask an another room if the decoration do not pleased you as they are all different (that part of our charme). If we are able to do we will be happy to do it …

Our hotel is in a recycling industrial structure (carpet industry) of 1910. It has the charm of an old building. In fact all St-Roch district was the commercial and industrial heart of Quebec city.

We will try our best to improve ourselves and hope we will have the opportunity to show you that you can have a better experience at l’Auberge l’Autre Jardin.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

I was here for a week for business and I have to say I am very disappointed... Broken TV, The AC does no work in the room, My desk chair's tax lift was broken (I kept going down while trying to work). The switch in the bathroom has o be pushed against really hard to stay up... Lights turning off while in the shower, No parking... And Finally to seal the deal... The Bed was extremely hard, Only a mattress on a frame with no spring box... I can assure you I will never step back in here...

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Spikyblue
SandrineViel, General Manager at L'Autre Jardin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Custumer,

I would like to thank you for the time you are taking in describing your experience in our hotel even if I am really disappointed on what I read.

It’s true, I would have preferred to talk to you during your stay with us to have time to show you other rooms that could have pleased you more, as now it’s too late to make you enjoy your stay and have a better idea of our hotel…

As we were in high season, you were in our smallest room and usually we do not give this one for long stay. We have really biggers rooms and with other type of beds. As for the furniture, we will see that it will be fix

But I personnaly looked at the TV and the air Conditionner after reading your review (as I have not been told of anything during your stay) and it was working. Did you ask for help ?

One again, I apologize for the inconvenience, and hope that my answer will help us to have an another chance. Do not hesitate to call me. I would be really pleased to make you visite our others rooms and perhaps you will find one that fit you well.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was a friendly hotel located outside the old city near the upcoming St Roch area. St Roch area has a good variety of restaurants to eat at. Clean and quiet, the suite we stayed in was comfortable. Breakfast was provided and there was a good variety. Staff were lovely and friendly. Down side was there was no elevator so staying on the third floor with a baby was a little difficult.

Room Tip: Suite is large and has a spa bath.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SandrineViel, General Manager at L'Autre Jardin, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Hello,

I've just read your review. Thank you very much for this, the team will be really pleased to read it.
Thanks again and we hope to welcome you one day again in Québec city.

Directrice générale

Reviewed 11 July 2013

This was the first time I was visiting Quebec City and this was a last minute hotel booking so the location was more based on availability and price than on location. With that said, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't mind that it was not exactly in Old Quebec.

THE OK SIDE
The outside of the hotel is quite nice, it's an older building, you can tell this by the exterior and also when you walk in (not in a bad way)

Our room was on the 3rd floor, the hotel is small, there are no elevators but it wasn't a big deal to us. The room was spacious and clean, the decor was alright, nothing that blew me away. The bed was too hard for my preference but my travel companion didn't have a problem with it so I guess that's personal preference.

THE GREAT SIDE
This is not your typical hotel check in, we were checked in by a very nice lady who quickly figured out that we didn't speak fluent french and she started speaking english to us... what a relief!

The hotel includes a breakfast in their rate, which is really nice because you can eat right at the the hotel and start your day on a full stomach. The only thing I didn't like about the breakfast was the fruit salad, everything else was great: the eggs, the coffee, great tea selections, jams, cereals, pastries (majority of their products are local and/or fair trade, which is a plus)

Wi-fi included at no extra cost and it worked great!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank WorldTraveler503
SandrineViel, General Manager at L'Autre Jardin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Hello,

Thank you very much for your nice comment and taking time to write about your experience. I will tell to the receptionnist about it, she will be pleased.
We were really happy to welcome you at our hotel et will continue to try our best to improve ourselves.

Thank's again

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 2 July 2013

The location is good, close to all the main attractions: old port, quartier petit-champlain.
The room is clean. But the furniture is old. Breakfast is moderate. No free parking. High speed internet is good.
The hotel is run by a NGO. The building is old style. It's just a B&B level inn. The price is a bit expensive compare to what they can offer to the clients.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingchild
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Having stayed in the excellent Auberge Pomerol Hotel, Montreal, for four nights we moved on to this Quebec hotel (that was supposed to be of the same standard as the Pomerol) for five nights. (The L' Autre Jardin provides guests with leaflets for the Pomerol, Montreal).

From the moment that we entered the L'Autre Jardin things went "downhill".
Our reception was impersonal and the "stair-lift", that could have been used to transport one person and a suitcase, wasn't working.
Reluctantly, the male receptionist helped with one suitcase while I
(a 70 year old) was left to lift the other up a short flight of stairs.
Facilities were "pointed out" to us but no attempt was made to show us to our room or other facilities. The receptionist's understanding and use of the English language was poor.
The decor of our room and bathroom was well below advertised standards (and depressing) - and our room window looked out towards a tall industrial building (about one metre away) - that resulted in the room being dark/dismal even at mid-day. The alley-way was used to store disgarded items).

Our bathroom had the following deficiencies:
The extractor fan didn't work (embarrasing after using the en-suite toilet) and "steamy" after using the shower/bath.
Our sink only held water for around one minute - therefore hot water had to be run consistently if one was to wet-shave.
The shower-head constantly dripped onto the bath-tap handles, causing splashes all around the area, when a bath was "run".
The decor was dismal (dark, navy tiles).

Room service was erratic, with the maid forgetting to replenish tea-bags on our first two nights and our drinking glasses and soap one another occasion.
On one occasion a face-cloth was replaced with one with a large hole and ragged edges.

The electrics in the room were below standard (if not potentially dangerous). e.g. one lead was taped with electrical tape, the standard-lamp on/off switch didn't work, the television was of the old tube type and a extention lead was used to supply additional socket outlets.
The service at breakfast was functional, providing a continental buffet-style breakfast (with the addition of "leather consistency" scrambled egg). Promised bagels (and marmalade) were never available and croissants were hard and unpalatable.
There was a canteen-style atmosphere.
However, hygiene seemed good.

Receptionists seemed a little overworked with typing, answering the phone and responding to visitors' queries; we often stood for at least four to five minutes at reception before the receptionist looked up and provided our room key. Generally their use/understanding of English was poor (for the hospitality industry).
However, on one occasion (on our last day) when I had lost my wallet (containing Debit/Credit Cards, Currency) the receptionist was very helpful with appropriate advice etc. (within her limited understanding of the English Language).

The Reception/Waiting area lounge was of a poor standard - decor wise and facilities were below standard.
However the provided free wi-fi was very good and the air conditioning worked well.

All in all a disappointing experience - compared with The Pomerol in Montreal!

Not recommended.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert W
SandrineViel, General Manager at L'Autre Jardin, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear Custumer,

First, I would like to apologise for the cloth that you found in your room. It’s true it should have never happen and I just can’t believe it myself. The only explanation that I can find, it’s that the person in charge of the cleaning of your room forget her cleaning cloth because it is not the standard of the hotel to have such face-cloth. We are normally proud of our cloth and bath towel (they are organic and Fair-trade products of very good quality). Guests like them and often buy them at our little boutique. As we are a sustainable Inn, we often used old towel for cleaning. So for me it’s the only possible option. The person has made the mistake to leave her old cleaning cloth. But yes, this incident could not happen again.

I have taken note too of the electric issues (your photos) and I will take action to ameliorate this as soon as possible. We always need the commentary of our guests to repairs and removed what we have to. In fact, our maintenance employee already start repair it.

For the breakfast, every day the marmalade was here, why don’t you ask for help, we would be happy to show it to you. It’s true that there was not the bagel as we have different other things and like to change following the time (2 or 3 types of bread, muffins, croissants, fruits salad, 2 sorts of cheese, dry fruits, yogurt, cereals….). Sometime we change or add product like fresh fruits or French bread but do not change our brochure all the time. I will see for the croissant issue what has happened and make our employees sensitive to the importance of freshness.

Our hotel is in a recycling industrial structure (carpet industry) of 1910. It has the charm of an old building. In fact all St-Roch district was the commercial and industrial heart of Quebec city and is the downtown of Quebec. The area has been renovated in the early 2000 and Quebec is an example of revitalization for lots of foreign town. Lots of guest love this concept. Few like you don’t, but we can’t discuss a matter of liking.

If the weather would have been nice and sunny, you would have been in our little terrace for breakfast, you would have realised that the wood placed (in your picture) is that because we are renovating our little terrace and boutique. It’s true that it’s not really nice right in front of your room (but temporary) and most of the part of the terrace with the little teapot makes happy our guests how take the time to look around.

As our flowers pots at the front, they’ve just have been done, and with the so little sun that we’ve got it’s not growing fast but will be so beautiful at the end of the summer. Most of our regular guests love the season change, just to see our new flower decoration. I am really sorry that you didn’t like it.

As for our English spoken, most our staff speak at least 2 languages and some even 3 but it’s true that none are English native. Most of them are really good at French and Spanish, other French and Asian languages and other French and English. We will try to improve their abilities and served our English guests better.

Once again, I am really sorry for your disappointment. We will try our best to improve ourselves and hope we will have the opportunity to show you that you could have a good experience at l’Auberge l’Autre Jardin.