“we loved our three days here with Victoria”
Review of B&B de la Fontaine

and 1 more site!
B&B de la Fontaine
Ranked #38 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Victoria was so kind and friendly. She patiently helped me with my French. Her breakfast was healthy and very substantial. Good coffee. Room was big and attractive. Bedsheets were new. Bed was very comfortable. Very very quiet, as is all of Vieux Quebec. At night it's like you're in a small town. No expressway, no buses, no nothing. Women walk around late at night with no fear. Very safe. Big boardwalk a block away overlooking the wide St. Lawrence River. I and my compine highly recommend this B & B de la Fontaine!

John

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnCabral134
There are newer reviews for B&B de la Fontaine

Reviewed 11 May 2013

I stayed at this B&B with a couple of family members (all in separate rooms) for three nights in May 2013. The location couldn't be better; it's inside the old city on the south end, just around the corner from the Jardins de Gouverneurs park and a block from the Citadelle. Everything inside the old city is an easy stroll away, but the immediate area is all hotels and B&Bs, so it is nice and quiet after dark.

The rooms are very nicely kept and comfortable. The two downstairs rooms are very large for a B&B, and room #3 upstairs, while smaller, is still a decent size. The ensuite bathrooms, being later additions/conversions, are very small, but well-equipped and beautifully decorated. My bed's mattress was firm but comfortable. The stairs to reach the upper floor (and the basement where breakfast is served) are a bit steep and narrow, so you may want to ask for a ground floor room if that would be an issue. (Incidentally, the artwork in room #2 was gorgeous!)

Victoria was an excellent hostess; she came in every morning to cook us a delicious breakfast and see if we needed anything. (She would have cleaned our rooms every day as well, but we all told her it wasn't necessary).

I will definitely stay at B&B de la Fontaine again next time I'm in Quebec City!

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms are larger than upstairs. The one on the left as you enter is the largest and h...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My family of five adults stayed in this B&B between Christmas and New Years, 2012. We occupied three of the four (I think) rooms in the house. Two rooms were on the main floor and two were on the upper floor. There was a nicely provisioned dining room and kitchen downstairs where we ate breakfast. All of the beds were queen size and the rooms varied in size such that the largest included a couch and chairs while the smallest included chairs and a chest-of-drawers. Being an old house converted for the purpose of renting out rooms, the bathrooms in each apartment were rather small and linear (about 3 feet by 10 feet) and included a toilet, sink and shower.

It was probably never above 25 degrees Fahrenheit while we were there, but the place was well heated and comfortable, and there were more than enough blankets on the beds. The floors were wooden and never felt cold. I'm sure that with the wind-chill it got down below zero while we were out and about, but we went up there just for that experience (we're from Texas), and ended up quite enjoying it. It was encouraging to have a warm place to come back to.

The location of the B&B is about two block from the center of the old city, within the walls. Quebec City is not very large and we were able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go, including outside the walls. The town was lively with all the shops, restaurants, and bars open and plenty of people walking about. It's probably nothing special up there, but we found it interesting that they had outdoor dances (DJs) until past midnight in the small squares around the city, and these included large, but portable bars made from solid ice -- pretty cool.

The hostess, Victoria, did not live on premises but came in to prepare breakfasts and tidy up the rooms after we left for the day. While we were there her breakfasts included omelettes and french toast with sausages. In addition there was fresh fruit (bananas and oranges), cereal, yogurt, toast, lemon cake, tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. It was all good and plentiful enough.

Victoria was also very helpful in helping us figure out the bus system (to go to the one place we could not get to on foot), find good places to eat, and navigate the city. She even made restaurant reservations for us. [Note: French is the preferred language, but almost everyone is bi-lingual.]

We had never been to Quebec before and decided to go over the Christmas holidays to get a feel for an old European city blanketed in snow. We were very pleased with the city itself, all there is to do and see, and the closeness of our accommodations to everything of interest to us. We gather that the summer experience is quite different with outdoor cafes and no ice-flows on the river, but that is for another day.

I have nothing to compare B&B de la Fontaine with, but I was very satisfied with the experience we had. This is a definite recommendation (my wife would give this place a 5-star rating, but I think there are probably better, and also more expensive, places to stay in the old city).

Room Tip: The room on the main floor on the left is the largest of the rooms we occupied; the upstairs room wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank CycleTravlr
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Sorry but I beg to disagree but the 2 previous reviews, although I must specify that the B&B was claimed to be open just for us: first, the owner/operator never even showed her face, which is unheard of in my book for a B&B. My spouse & I had the first room to the right as you enter( I believe it was #2). The room was damp and freezing cold (nobody had bothered to come buy ahead to turn up the heat and the thermostat was at 16 celsius, equivalent to 60F), small, extremely drab & dated in terms of decoration, a mitc-match of a bunch of different style. The bathroom was clearly an additionto what must have been a living room originally, but so crammed and ugly looking, absolutely the worse ever stylewise! Looking for an outlet for my smartphone charger was a huge challenge: there were a couple of extension cords for the whole rooms and with a lot of bending under the furniture, I finally found 1 available spot.There was not even an alrm clock radio, nor an Ipod player for music and only a tiny 19" t-v sceen for entertainment purposes. Because of the cold, I rushed into a rather hard bed and rushed out the following morning since there was no breakfast offered.
Conclusion: nothing but disappointment!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank chosoleil
Reviewed 27 October 2012

My wife and i stayed for 2 nights in August. Victoria has a very comfortable B&B and she truly cares about her guest's experience. The room was very comfortable (don't expect a big room in an old house like this) The breakfast was delicious with a good variety that should provide enough choices for everyone to find something that they like. The location is very convenience, in the old town, a couple of blocks from the Frontenac.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012

My wife and I stayed for two nights in late September at this wonderful B&B in Quebec. Victoria was a most gracious hostess, and the location could not have been better. Victoria has done a marvelous job of making the most of the space, and our room was excellent. The facility is well appointed, clean, comfortable, and winsome. We were in the "Sun" room, and even though the weather was overcast for most of the time, the covered balcony was a treat. The B&B is on a quiet street in the upper old town of Quebec, and it is in easy walking distance of all the major sites of the old city. Victoria provided a most helpful map of the area and identified a wide variety of fine restaurants. She was also very helpful in pointing us to the sites we were interested in seeing. When we had unloaded our luggage and I had gone to park the car, Victoria helped my wife tote our bags to our room and gave my wife a list of places to see as soon as possible - there was a forecast for early evening rain, and she wanted to be sure we made the most of the time we had. Breakfasts were wonderful and the variety was excellent. It would be nearly impossible to go hungry from breakfast. Victoria was attentive in every way. The only caution is that this B&B has many steps from the first to second floor and from the first floor to the basement where breakfast was served. This was no problem for us, but it would be an obstacle for anyone with poor mobility. There is no on-site parking, but garages are nearby and not too expensive. If we return to Quebec, we will make every effort to stay at B&B de la Fontaine, and we recommend it to any who are looking for a great stay in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: The "Sun" room has a balcony and is quiet. It is on the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paulandjean
Reviewed 23 October 2012

On this trip to Quebec City, I traveled with my mother and a friend we stayed for 2 nights. As three women we shared a room and we received the downstairs room with a queen bed and a convertible sofa. The room was well appointed and cozy, with a little sitting area when the pull out bed was stowed away. The bathroom is narrow and small but did not feel cramped, and was very clean. We found it easy to get to, unload our things and then park in a garage (I chose the one under City Hall; Hotel de ville). We had a late arrival and did not get to meet Victoria until the next morning but had spoken and emailed with her a couple of times prior. We found the letter left for us at the entrance, welcoming and containing helpful information.

Victoria was a lovely host, with great suggestions for dining (two of us are vegetarian; only slightly challenging in Quebec City). As others have mentioned, the breakfasts were thoughtfully made everyday and plentiful. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Stairs are steep if that is a concern, however even though our room was on the entrance level it was...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends