“Not a bad little marriott”

Quebec City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #24 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Being a frequent business traveler and not a huge fan of Marriott brand altogether (but a gold elite member) I'd have to say I was overall impressed with this hotel. Much smaller than most Marriott's I'm used to. This seems to allow the staff to be much more attentive and friendly than my previous experiences. Rooms are standard marriott quality. Great location just a short walk to most of old Quebec City. Decent little bar and restaurant as well. I'd recommend if the price is right. - better than the hilton across the street. No complaints here whatsoever for a short stay business traveler.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank concordia7
Jacques L, General Manager at Quebec City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. We have appreciated your comment especially because it is fair and along the line that we might be a small Marriott in size but we think big. We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectation once again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,278)

Reviewed 14 February 2014

We stayed 5 nights, 6 - 11 Feb 2014. We were with one other couple. The reception was adequate. The clerks were friendly and typically accommodating. Our room was clean and the typical but only average amenities were present. The heater was very loud. The view was of a large nautilus fitness center.
The service in the restaurant was fair. Food was very overpriced and somewhat below average. The concierge lounge was poorly staffed and food and beverage was scarse. I had to get plates, napkins and flatware from downstairs and was treated very rudely by one of the waitresses. I witnessed a young patron ask the same waitress for water and she only shook her head no!
Loading and unloading was very inadequate. The area was icy and unclear.
I strongly suggest avoiding this hotel until and if ever they improve. Chose a Canadian hotel nearby and enjoy the professional courtesy and pampering.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank The1SGT
Roselyn F, Manager at Quebec City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.
I was very disappointed to read of your experience during your stay with us. While an apology will regrettably not alter the outcome of your experience on this occasion, I do extend with all sincerity, I certainly empathize regarding the point (s) your mention in your review.This level of service is certainly not acceptable and will be addressed with the concerned party.
Again, please accept my apology.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The lobby staff here, from the check in desk to the concierge to the bartender will go out of their way to make you feel welcome and point you to anywhere you want to go. This hotel is in a superb location, right next to the Old City, 10 minutes from the winter Carnaval, plenty of sightseeing, shops and restaurants close by. Parking next door is a hefty $18 and there are no options nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Thesportsroadtrip

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. I have shared your wonderful comments with our staff. We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectation once again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Hotel is located next to an underground parking garage which is one of the reasons we opted for the Marriott. As many other reviewers have stated this used to be a Courtyard. I'm not sure of the reasons for the change but it really didn't feel like a full service Marriott at check in and that is not a complaint just an observation. The lobby area is mostly taken up by the restaurant and bar. There are 2 small areas up a couple of steps where there are a few seats just not a typical full service Marriott lobby. Check in was quick and easy, room was a good size as was the bathroom which also had plenty shelf space. Good seating options and desk and storage space. Heating worked well and bed was comfortable. Only minor issue was shower water temperature which we would have liked to be just a little warmer. We did let reception know this on checkout and they appreciated the info. We had a light dinner in the hotel twice which we enjoyed with great food and service. Overall the service was excellent across the board. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeeLuv2Travel2

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. Thank you for your accurate description of our hotel lobby. We designed it this way to have sort of a lounge boutique experience as soon as you enter the hotel. We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectation once again.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

As many others have noted, the location is great and is also convenient if you want to do more than see the old town. Our room was pretty and the bed comfortable. We used the gym which had bottled water, fresh apples and towels although it could have used a bit more variety in the equipment which was mostly treadmills. We had a few minor complaints about our room: no matter how high we cranked up the thermostat, our room was always cold. Also, we could not get the shower hot enough for our liking. Finally, it is a bit annoying to be charged for internet use in this day and age, although the overall price was still very reasonable: we booked a weekend over Carnaval for $115 per night for a room with a king bed. I thought for that price what we got was excellent value and at that price I would not hesitate to come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectation once again.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I enjoyed an overnight stay at the hotel, which is situated perfectly on edge of Quebec City. We arrived VERY late and departed the following day to the ICE HOTEL (cool as well in many ways) but felt lucky that we had picked the Marriott for our stay. From teh check-in at 1am to the support from the concierge to get us a car, to the front desk person while we came back to get our stored luggage, everyone had a smile and service attitude once experienced only at Four Seasons and the Ritz( I worked for the 4 Seasons when I was young).
Everyone went beyond the efforts expected and when I called the hotel to check on a charge I thought was posted in error I was greeted as if I was known for long. ( The nice lady (sorry didn't hear your name) remembered me) . The call was efficient and super friendly so that I had to let her know that my wife and I will be back to this charming city but also to the more then charming hotel.
Oh, and the property is very clean, nice, has what one needs as well.
Thank YOU Quebec Marriott team. Whoever is your GM has for sure picked the best.
Rainer and Claudia

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rainer S
J L, General Manager at Quebec City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We picked this hotel because of the proximity to downtown. It was right in front of the Porte St. Jean and the skating rink. The downtown is very easily accessible being steps away and partliament about a block up the hill.
The hotel is very clean and its quite although it would have been nice to have a view, our faced another boring building. There are organized tours avaibale to be made at the hotel and is arranged to pick you up from the hotel. We had dinner once at the hotel dining room and it was okay. I would definately stay there again due to its location, cleanliness and good staff.

Room Tip: Get a room faceing the front of the hotel to get a great view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Monique N

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Marriott Quebec City Downtown. Thank you also for describing our very advantageous city location. We look forward to welcome you back and exceed your expectation once again.