“Ok Hotel very reasonable excellent location except for noise”
Review of Auberge Quebec

Auberge Quebec
Ranked #93 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Ottawa, Ontario
“Ok Hotel very reasonable excellent location except for noise”
Reviewed 15 September 2007

Summary:
PRO - Convenient location, nice looking rooms, reasonble staff, excellent price, a Jaro hotel
CON - some rooms are close to a street that is noisy until late and also early in the morning and traffic noise is high in the area. Hotel lobby and my room had a mild disagreeable odour at first

DETAILS:

PRO:

1. Convenient location - Quebec city #11 bus on boulevard Laurier right outsde the door goes directly to the old City and along Grand Allée very handy. Place Laurier - a huge shopping Mall is right nearby.

2. Rooms are attractive for such a reasonble price - mine was just like the website photo.

3. Staff appeared competent - I was travelling alone so did not have much to ask them. My electronic door key (credit card style) suddenly stopped functioning and the concierge appeared reluctant to fix it in the evening. My room was very far from the lobby so I insisted - so he called a service tech from one of the other Jaro hotels. He came quickly and replaced a battery in the door that fixed everything so I was quite happy.

4. Price for a single room was similar to motel prices - very low.

5. A friend of mine had recommended one of the Jaro Hotels (see www.hotelsjaro.com) - he had stayed at the Lindbergh and the Hotel Plaza and had really liked them. This is one of theirs.

CONS

1. This may be the least expensive of the Jaro hotels and the one with the most street noise outside. Boulevard Laurier is a 6 lane street and my room had was just too close to rue Lavigère - which is 3 lanes near an intersection. Result - I slept with windows closed and turned on the noisy bathroom fan as white noise. Next day I purchased earplugs and slept very well lafter that. The noise would have been alright I like to sleep in and it is worst 6-8 am or so.

2. Earlier reviews had mentioned cleanliness but I had a different experience. The Hotel lobby for example looked very clean but had a somewhat disagreeable odour the first day as did my room which also appeared very clean. It was strange as there are clear no-smoking signs in the lobby and engraved on the door of my room. I cold only think this used to be a hotel frequented by many smokers. But again this did seem to improve (or I got used to it?) the second day I wondered if my room had been vacuumed again as it seemed much fresher. My third day they did a sort of fall cleaning - steam cleaned the carpets in the all hallways and also my room so it was even better.

• Liked — price convenience
  • Disliked — street noise mild disagreeable odours
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Toronto
Reviewed 22 May 2006

Room was OK but old and small. The room was not cleaned well, we found a plastic fork tangled up in the loose and untidy wiring of the TV and the desk light which we hadn't brought in. On one day, the pull-out sofa bed was not made up, the coffee for the free in room coffee maker was not supplied for two days, the shampoo etc. were not replaced after use.
The breakfast area was small and very crowded and the use of styrofoam cups was a bit tacky. However, the price was reasonable and the room OK if you didn't plan to spend much time in it. The location was convenient.

• Stayed May 2005
2 Thank apq

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 April 2006

We were driving through Quebec looking for a hotel to stay at. We found one that advertised hotels for $59. I knew they wouldn't have any rooms left for that price but I was offered another for $91. The room was very, very clean I couldn't find any dirt(and I looked). The hotel room had a set of stairs to go up to the bedroom like loft where there was another TV and a sink. Two TV's,deck,little fridge,2 coffee tables,lots of pillows,lots of seating,quiet,working pop machine. I will for sure go back there again.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2005

I have stayed in many hotels in Québec City and have enjoyed every one of them... except for this one. I expected to stay 3 nights at Sir Wilfrid, but left after 1. This hotel is older and is in great need of a facelift. My room had a mezzanine i.e. a living room with a sofabed and stairs going up to the bedroom and bathroom. I walked in... it was very stuffy, the AC had not been turned on and the small fridge was also on low. The 2 TVs were old and small. The one in the bedroom was so old we could watch the image get fuzzier and fuzzier. The remote for the TV in the living room was not working. One of the bedroom lamps was also broken. The bathroom was old and the shower was not much more than a trickle. The beige-coloured bathmat was mostly gray with grime. It was so warm upstairs, even with the ceiling fan on max, that we ended up sleeping on the sofabed downstairs (heat rises of course). The price also included a continental breakfast... ya right! I attempted twice to get my breakfast in the dining room. Both times there was a long line-up and the dining room was packed. I could not even have a quiet breakfast after the night I had experienced. I decided then and there to depart. I found a nice little motel for half the price which was very clean and modern. Upon my return home, I emailed the hotel with my comments. That was 2 weeks ago and have yet to get a reply from them.

• Stayed July 2005