“The food speaks for itself here....Incredible!”
Review of iX pour Bistro

iX pour Bistro
Ranked #1 of 1,511 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$21 - US$52
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This little out of the way bistro is a must try when visiting Quebec City!
The neighbourhood was not nearly as sketchy as we were led to believe by some of the reviews however the tiny building it was housed in was definitely run down, and the interior was rustic and osteria - like.......by the end of the night we were chatting with the other patrons!
While the ambience was no where near "fine dining", Hands down this was a fine dining experience and the best meal we had in Quebec City.
The two man show with Vincent out front interacting with the guests and Benoit dishing up wonderful food with a splash of humour led to an ambience that was so much more than fancy interior finishes could provide!
Vincent was charming and was very knowledgeable as far as both the food and wine went and had excellent wine pairing suggestions.
All of our dishes were excellent. The fresh scallop appetizer in a buttermilk sauce was incredible. My husbands selection of the sweet onion cream soup was also very flavourful. For mains we had the lamb loin with goat cheese and the bison hanger steak in a reduced au jus sauce. Both of these were beautifully presented, perfectly prepared and the flavours were sublime. My favourite was the lamb with goat cheese which was tender and flavourful without being overpowered by the goat cheese crust. For dessert I had the mango and kiwi pavlova which was a perfect "light as air" ending to a wonderful meal.
My one regret for the night is that I couldn't try everything on the menu!
This little 9 table gem of a restaurant with an impeccable wine list and staggered reservations with no table turnover usually requires advanced planning.
A weeks notice will secure your reservation but we were lucky enough to be able to be accommodated day of on a spur of the moment trip to Quebec City. Emailing Benoit solicited the suggestion of a call back at 7:30 to see how the early tables were going and to determine if they would be able to take another table. As we are always late diners this worked well for us.
The next time we are in Quebec City we will be back to try whatever delicious tastes Benoit is presenting and Vincent is serving!

1  Thank travelbug_6255

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I must say that I generally read/take Trip Advisor reviews with a grain of salt, but my wife and I tried iX Pour Bistro tonight as it was very highly rated and we were blown away. Vincent (host/charmer) and Benoit (chef/jokester) literally do everything for this place and are both wonderful at their jobs. This is one of those GEMS that makes traveling so great!

Vincent is a great guy that describes every dish in detail and really knows his stuff, and everything we had was fantastic. Appetizers were so unique and flavorful. Thinly sliced scallops in a wonderful Asian broth with scallions were great. Our entrees were unreal - my lamb loin with baked goat cheese topping was fantastic. It sounds like it might be too rich but it was a perfect balance of flavors - as were all dishes we had tonight. And Vincent's recommendations on dessert wines from Quebec were great, too. The wife had a good Quebec cider wine and my honey wine was fantastic.

This place is tiny and very unassuming, but you will not find a better meal or experience in Quebec City. Two massive thumbs up!!!

Barton
Denver, CO

1  Thank Bartond
Reviewed 4 July 2014

On a recent trip, this restaurant was recommended to us by friends who had been there a couple days before! Do NOT let the "rustic" exterior in need of sprucing you up turn you away! What awaits you inside is culinary nirvana! The two-man operation is part of what makes this dinner experience so wonderful! With one working the kitchen (and occasionally coming out!) and the other working the floor, you have come across two of the most passionate restauranteurs you ever will find! The menu is short (four choices for appetizers, four for the main course, etc), but apparently changes daily based on availability and the chef's whim and EVERY dish our party had was amazing! They have a very good wine list (rather than upgrade the exterior, they prefer to put their money into the list!!!!) of primarily European wines - was THRILLED when I found a wine from southwestern France called a Cabardes that I had loved in France but this was the first I found in North America since discovering it in France three years ago! You MUST make a reservation here, regardless of the evening you go there! Part of this is because they only have about 26 seats, but also because my impression was that they spread the reservations out by fifteen minute increments so that the server on the floor can spend ample time with them! Safe to say that we will be going here each and every time we are back in Quebec City - it was a pleasure dining in a place with such great food/wine and passionate restauranteurs!

1  Thank WineTraveller
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I were recently in Quebec City. Before I left I turned to Trip Advisor and chose iX Bistro based on their reviews and we were not disappointed. From the moment you enter this tiny restaurant you are greeted with warmth and enthusiasm. Clearly, these two young men have a passion for their craft. From appetizer to dessert everything was perfect. I highly recommend the pork with blue cheese and the lamb with goat cheese. And the signature foie gras dessert is to die for! This bistro is a can't miss experience just a short ride out of Old Town. One of the best meals we have experienced in a long time. I only regret we don't live close enough to return often.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is a charming very small restaurant owned, operated and almost fully manned by a wonderfully creative young man. The food is delicious - a creative blend of French and Asian. Benoit Lemieux is the creator of this cute place. It's a bit of a cab ride out of old Quebec City but worth the adventure. He has a great wine list and the menu changes regularly. Don't go if you are in a rush but if you can it is fun to take your time talking to Benoit. It's very small and he only takes as many tables as he can handle so be sure to call. A nice change from the hustle and bustle of packed great restaurants.