“fanastic food at a good value”
Review of iX pour Bistro

iX pour Bistro
Ranked #1 of 1,445 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$20 - US$29
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Newton
“fanastic food at a good value”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary visiting Quebec. We ate out at several places and, by far, this was the best place. We spent $230 which included a bottle of wine. Great flavor, fun and engaging owners, quaint location....wish they would open a restaurant in Boston.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Douglas K

• Korean first
Brampton, Canada
“Must try!!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We went here based on the reviews and were not disappointed. If you're looking for a place with 5 star food without being pretentious, this is for you. We can't say enough about the food to give it justice and the owners are very welcoming. It's a totally casual atmosphere and the food is so good that everyone in the place is talking to each other about it! Getting there from the old City will cost you about $15 one way, but it's worth it.

1 Thank CanTraveller777
massachusetts
“Don't miss this place.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have eaten in many high in restaurants in North America and Europe and the meal I had there this past Sunday ranks in my top five. This is a small, nine table restaurant that only takes reservations for one round of seating at the tables. You are not packed in and shipped out for the next turnover. The menu changes based on the availability of ingredients and the creative muses of the owners. There are normally four apps and four entrees and three desserts. The ingredient quality, the care of preparation and skill of presentation is on par with the French Laundry. The price is not. This restaurant is quite reasonably priced for the experience. The wine list is extensive and it was easy to find a bottle to fit any taste. I could go on but I would be repeating what has been said by many before me. Just a couple of quick notes. The place looks dive on the outside but is warm and wonderful inside. Don't let other reviews regarding the neighborhood scare you. This restaurant is located in a solid middle class area and you could walk around it at night with no problems. My wife and I drove over from Old Quebec and parked and walked with ease. Try the Foie Gras dessert. It is unlike anything you have ever had and sums up everything that is great about this place. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2014
Halifax, Canada
“The food speaks for itself here....Incredible!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This little out of the way bistro is a must try when visiting Quebec City!
The neighbourhood was not nearly as sketchy as we were led to believe by some of the reviews however the tiny building it was housed in was definitely run down, and the interior was rustic and osteria - like.......by the end of the night we were chatting with the other patrons!
While the ambience was no where near "fine dining", Hands down this was a fine dining experience and the best meal we had in Quebec City.
The two man show with Vincent out front interacting with the guests and Benoit dishing up wonderful food with a splash of humour led to an ambience that was so much more than fancy interior finishes could provide!
Vincent was charming and was very knowledgeable as far as both the food and wine went and had excellent wine pairing suggestions.
All of our dishes were excellent. The fresh scallop appetizer in a buttermilk sauce was incredible. My husbands selection of the sweet onion cream soup was also very flavourful. For mains we had the lamb loin with goat cheese and the bison hanger steak in a reduced au jus sauce. Both of these were beautifully presented, perfectly prepared and the flavours were sublime. My favourite was the lamb with goat cheese which was tender and flavourful without being overpowered by the goat cheese crust. For dessert I had the mango and kiwi pavlova which was a perfect "light as air" ending to a wonderful meal.
My one regret for the night is that I couldn't try everything on the menu!
This little 9 table gem of a restaurant with an impeccable wine list and staggered reservations with no table turnover usually requires advanced planning.
A weeks notice will secure your reservation but we were lucky enough to be able to be accommodated day of on a spur of the moment trip to Quebec City. Emailing Benoit solicited the suggestion of a call back at 7:30 to see how the early tables were going and to determine if they would be able to take another table. As we are always late diners this worked well for us.
The next time we are in Quebec City we will be back to try whatever delicious tastes Benoit is presenting and Vincent is serving!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank travelbug_6255
Denver, Colorado
“Absolutely Fantastic - True to Form”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I must say that I generally read/take Trip Advisor reviews with a grain of salt, but my wife and I tried iX Pour Bistro tonight as it was very highly rated and we were blown away. Vincent (host/charmer) and Benoit (chef/jokester) literally do everything for this place and are both wonderful at their jobs. This is one of those GEMS that makes traveling so great!

Vincent is a great guy that describes every dish in detail and really knows his stuff, and everything we had was fantastic. Appetizers were so unique and flavorful. Thinly sliced scallops in a wonderful Asian broth with scallions were great. Our entrees were unreal - my lamb loin with baked goat cheese topping was fantastic. It sounds like it might be too rich but it was a perfect balance of flavors - as were all dishes we had tonight. And Vincent's recommendations on dessert wines from Quebec were great, too. The wife had a good Quebec cider wine and my honey wine was fantastic.

This place is tiny and very unassuming, but you will not find a better meal or experience in Quebec City. Two massive thumbs up!!!

Barton