“Charming & Gorgeous...Tre Magnific!”

Auberge Place D'Armes
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Seattle, Washington
“Charming & Gorgeous...Tre Magnific!”
Reviewed 9 March 2009

I recently got back from a 7 day stay at Auberge Place D'armes and could not be more impressed. It is conveniently located in the middle of everything...across the street from the Chateau Frontenac and near shopping, sites and restaurants. The rooms are beautiful...designed in a French country style with lovely modern accents. There is plenty of storage, large beds, fantastic flat screen TVs, free wireless internet, ipod players and amazing spa quality bathrooms with a rain shower head, soaking tub and heated floors (my favorite). They were recently remodeled and are perfect. There is an older side to the hotel (it is made up of two joined buildings) but it is being remodeled now and should be done by May of 09 so the whole place will be gorgeous. The staff were more than accommodating with cheery attitudes, friendly service and great information about the area. The complimentary breakfast in the morning is much more than expected. Several full entrees are offered and were sooo good! Take a cab vs. drive as parking is tight anywhere in Quebec City and be prepared to walk stairs...because this is a historic building, an elevator is not allowed. I think it adds to the charm! I would definitely return and recommend the Auberge to anyone visiting Quebec City. Tre Magnific!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chelsea_Renee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 March 2009

I don't want to gush, but this place was perfect! It was charming, tasteful, cozy, the food was great, and the staff are the finest people who have ever graced our planet! Major, major kudos!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank CurtisTheTraveller
Ste Anne
Reviewed 31 January 2009

We went to Quebec with our two children and a couple of friends. Originally from Paris and now Guadeloupe, we wanted to discover a bit of Europe in America. Quebec city was a surprise, charming and friendly and safe (unlike some places home). Our hotel, Place d’Armes, reminded us of Europe, but with larger rooms and friendlier service. With our son and daughter, we occupied room 20, large enough for a very large bed, a large one and a comfortable sofa-bed which allowed our daughter to have her own bed(she appreciated!). Toilet and bath , were separated, like often back home, which was perfect for four persons. The room was clean, the people at the desk very friendly and helpful. There is even a restaurant on site and we tried on a snowy night. What a surprise, one of our best meal of the trip. The early winter climate was colder than what we usually face, but with the correct clothing, anybody can cope and it is a new experience. Walking around Quebec city is a joy and we also tried some excursions on Orleans island and some rural roads very close to town and we loved the ice hotel. We were very happy of our stay there, in good part, thank to the Auberge Place d’Armes.

• Liked — Staff qnd breakfast
  • Disliked — short stay
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank gwadagwado
st-francois, guadeloupe
Reviewed 20 January 2009

From Lille and now staying in Guadeloupe , we wanted winter, snow and good food! Reading the reviews on trip advisor we found Auberge Place d’Armes. Two couples, two kids, two rooms we had room 20 and 21 in the old part that was build in 1853 we where told. Location in front of the Chateau Frontenac super.
We where in room 21 remind me of Paris with that spectacular view, brick and fabric wall, small bathroom but nice washbowl and clean bath(great after a long walk in the snow!) The room was perfectly clean. The staff and service at the hotel are incredible you feel as a part of the family. They gave us directions for the ice hotel a must see in Quebec , booked tours and delightful restaurants suiting our needs and assure us they would come and get us if we where lost… The free breakfast is served in the restaurant and cook at order, eggs+bacon and homemade jam this week it was kiwi and strawberry for my husband or yogurt+ muslix and cereals bread for me and many other choices(Order also the frenchtoast… hummy!).
Really we enjoyed our trip in Quebec and our stay at this hotel

• Liked — the staff, the room, the food
  • Disliked — wish I will come back
  • Stayed January 2009
2 Thank lasouffriere
Atlanta
Reviewed 9 January 2009

We arrived late on Dec. 30 for a 2 night NYE stay. We had a little trouble finding the place, but we should have called for specific directions ahead of time. We had to park a block away and carry our luggage, no big deal since we are in good shape but this could be a pain for some people.

We stayed in room 21, which must have been in the "old" section of the hotel because we were dissapointed with what we saw, especially after reading the rave reviews on here. We had to walk up 2 flights of stairs, but again, we are in shape so it was doable. Our room was very clean, but we could not adjust the thermastat and spent both nights snuggling for warmth (not terrible, but not what we expected either)! We did have a nice view, which you can see in my pictures, but the room was just okay. I heard other couples at check out raving about their rooms, and I assume they must have been in the newer section. We certainly didn't have a working fireplace or spa tub in our room... and only one window which you can see in the pictures (the room with the balcony on the top left).

If you stay here just make sure you get a newer room!

• Liked — Great location near everything
  • Disliked — Small, cold, not what we expected based on TripAdvisor reviews
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AimeeTravels
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 January 2009

After living in L.A. for 3 years, I wanted to have a white Christmas this year. So I decided to go to Quebec City for the holidays with my girlfriend and her family.

Let me tell you, neither the city nor Auberge Place D'Armes disappointed in any way. It was absolutely amazing.

The woman who owns Auberge Place D'Armes, Michele, was unbelievably courteous and helpful. She told us about all the best sights to see, and being a food LOVER, all the best places to eat!

Her staff was, if possible, even more helpful and happy! Veronique, in particular, was so much fun to talk to and so great at recommending things to do that we ended up talking to her every time we came in and out of the hotel! (hopefully she didn't mind)

Oh, and Jean Francois is hilarious and awesome. Just don't mention being a fan of any American NHL teams and you'll get along with him fine! ;-)

As for the hotel itself, what can I say? It's classic. 400 year old bricks make up the walls in the quaint and cozy rooms, and while I could see how the Beverly Hills crowd might whine and complain about the space, it is after all a bed-and-breakfast in a four-century-old city, not the newest suite at the Hilton in Laguna Beach!

My girlfriend and I stayed in room 21, which is two flights up from reception and has a gorgeous view of Le Chateau Frontenac. It did get a bit chilly at night, but that's about it. You could simply feel the history and the personality standing in the room.

One room in particular that's also worth mentioning is the Marie Antoinette suite, which sits on the first floor in the more modern section of the hotel. This gorgeous suite has panels which are literally from Versailles, and it boasts the most unbelievable view of the Chateau from wide, open windows.

Michele, in her infinite generosity, actually moved my girlfriend's parents into this room (for free) after it had come up in casual conversation, just because!

Auberge Place D'Armes also boasts free wifi, and for those without laptops or iPhones, they also have a computer in the lobby that anyone can use, and the staff is more than willing to print anything out you may need (like boarding passes).

The restaurant in the hotel is also not-to-be-missed. There are tons of great restaurants nearby, but breakfast is free (and more than just coffee and toast), and the lunches and dinners boast a wide range of tasty dishes.

Of particular note are the desserts, which are decadent, and in the case of the ice cream trio, impossible-to-forget!

Needless to say, I had a great time, and I couldn't recommend this hotel more. I only hope I can find a reason to go back in the summer!

• Liked — The people - Michele, Veronique and everyone else truly made it an unforgettable experience.
  • Disliked — The room (21) did get a bit chilly at night. That's about it!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nschneble
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 January 2009

This b&b is definitely on of the coziest places I've stayed in my many years of traveling. My boyfriend and I were meeting my parents and brother for a Christmas getaway. Even though we were in another country it felt like a home-grown Christmas! Of course the city is amazing - snow, sledding, carolers... it was a fairytale. But the hotel was also a highlight of the trip. The location and views are to die for, and at a much better rate than the Chateau, and with less tourists.

Our room was small but cute, felt very Parisian (room 21). We could see the church & the Chateau outside our window, a picture perfect view! My family was in the suite next door (room 20), with 2 beds and plenty of seating to open presents up on Christmas morning. In a turn of events, we actually ended up spending Christmas morning in the Marie Antoinette room after Michelle moved my parents there when she discovered my brother's penchant for sleeping past noon. It was the best Christmas present we ever had! The room is gorgeous, has a perfect view of the Chateau and the Place d'Armes, and the paneling is ACTUALLY FROM VERSAILLES! Ask Michelle to tell you about it, you'll be glad you did. If the room isn't occupied she'll give you a tour I'm sure. And best of all my brother got to stay in the big suite all alone for the rest of the trip, and sleep in with no parental interruptions.

The staff is incredibly friendly and so helpful. I can't wait to go back sometime in summer and see them all again. If Veronique or Michelle gives you a recommendation for a restaurant or museum, take it! They never let us down, and are very honest about which attractions are worth it and which are not. They were helpful even before our stay when I emailed to ask for a recommendation for Christmas brunch (we were going to the Frontenac for Xmas dinner and didn't want to go twice in one day). They emailed us menus from tons of restaurants and inquired for us all over town. Veronique is a saint that way!

We ended up having Christmas brunch at Le Pain Beni, the restaurant in the hotel. We ate breakfast here every day (hot, cooked to order, and FREE!), as well as lunch and dinner once. Each meal was delicious!

All-in-all, a perfect stay. We could not have asked for anything more! (except maybe a couple more nights in the Auberge!)

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Kind of chilly in our room at night, other room was warm though, so it must be a fluke.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family