“Perfect little spot!”

Ranked #10 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Melbourne, Australia
“Perfect little spot!”
Reviewed 12 January 2010

Was here for 2 nights in early September, After a long day on the train travelling from Ottawa i took a taxi and immediately noticed the hotel was down a small alleyway (No cars!) surrounded by artists, a market etc, great environment to be in! The Reception is very small and shares space with the restaurant Pain Benini, The girl was very pleasant, issued me a key to Room 12 and then helped me carry my suitcase up the stairs (It is like a private home therefore no elevators) My room was very small but had a real modernised earthy kind of a feel and i had a Tiny bathroom with Aromae Tolietries and a small shower which was all i wanted and needed!

The bed was comfortable and i never heard any noise from the rooms next door, I overlooked the restaurant and i must admit that was a weird experience overlooking people dining away at the restaurant!

They also have a room set up for guests with free Internet Access

Directly opposite the hotel you'll see a big rotunda style area, if like me you have a city tour booked (Gray Line) that is where they pick up! it was just perfect!

The hotel is located right in the heart of Old Quebec, Most people seemed to spak english and no matter where you go there are plenty of restaurants, Shops etc around. The Post office is about half a block away (Turn left past the restaurant heading towards the rotunda/statue and you should see it)

My only dissapointment was the restaurant..... The staff at Le Pain benini were friendly....The food on the other hand......, Overpriced and very bland i found! Dissapointing when i think that the average meal was $40 AUD (Quite expensive)

I'd stay here again if ever back in Quebec City

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Harvsman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
toronto
Reviewed 19 December 2009

My husband and I flew to Quebec City for a 2 night getaway which was a very special occassion for us. We wanted this trip to be perfect and romantic in every way. This hotel fullfilled all our expectations and more. The room was spectacular with a full view of the Chateau and a beautiful little church. How romantic to look out the window and see the lit up chateau with all the christmas lights and the church stained glass windows lit from the inside. The room was spotless, very tastefully furnished and very very cozy. It's not often that you stay in a hotel and want to actually stay in the room because it's so inviting. The heated floor in the bathroom and european shower were such a delight as well. The bed was extremely comfortable and a nice light duvet which allowed you to layer the blankets if cold but not too hot.
The staff at the hotel were more than pleasant, always helping out, always smiling and really made you feel special. I must compliment their english spoken as well.
Really terrific too was the espresso machine that you could use at your leisure. Wow that came in handy when coming in from the cold.
To make our stay even more wonderful was the excellent breakfast which was served at the Cafe Buade, (until renos are done at the Pain a Beni). Excellent choices, just the right amount of food and very good service.
All around we had a wonderful stay in Quebec City, what a delightful, romantic and friendly city. I can't wait to go back and have already recommended this hotel to all of my friends and family!!! just as an extra tip, the restaurant, "Feu Sacre" which is a steak and seafood restaurant about a 5 minute walk away was outstanding!!! extremely reasonable for the excellent fine dining quality of the food!! a truly first class experience!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Testandtruth
Reviewed 19 December 2009

I stayed at the Auberge Place d'Armes back in May and it was the most memorable stay out of my entire trip around Eastern Canada.

The place just oozes charm. Yes, the rooms are small, but I knew that. The rooms were beautifully decorated in the French country feel which made the room feel very inviting. I had a room overlooking the Chateua Frontenac which was great. The room was exceptionally clean, a new LCD TV on the wall, and the bathroom clean and with quality toiletries. I truly can not fault anything about my stay.

On my way out sight seeing one day, the hotel staff stopped me an offered me an umbrella as the forecast was for showers later in the day. I took up the offer (kind of bemused) but I was certainly grateful later on! :) The staff were excellent, attentive and very friendly - it made me feel part of the family.

Breakfast was also a highlight. It was a menu-breakfast, rather than those gaudy and bland all-you-can nonsense. It was the best breakfast I had all trip. The breakfast room was cosy and inviting and the food was delicious. Again, very impressed.

The hotel is centrally located in Old Quebec to all the major sites (stones throw away from the Chateau) and is along a pedestrian mall so there is no traffic noise).

If you want a memorable stay for your time in Quebec, the Auberge Place d'Armes is perfect!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Dale R
kcampbell53@yahoo.com
Reviewed 8 December 2009

My husband, his mother and I were visiting our son in Quebec City. We spent 4 nights in Auberge Place DArmes during our visit. We had a wonderful experience! The hotel staff was polite and helpful. The hotel was well furnished and clean. Breakfasts were delicious! We will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We spent 4 nights at this auberge and were not disappointed . We were in room 3 which had a great view of Chateau Frontenac . Room as very clean, serviced beautifully every day, plenty of towels, soap, etc. Windows opened for fresh air. There was nothing shabby about this place. We especially appreciated the cotton duvet cover which looked freshly laundered. (not like those questionable bedspreads one sees in other hotels) The owners should be very proud of their "help", too. The 3 desk people we encountered, Andrew, Valerie and Paul were absolutely superb. They were helpful, polite, friendly and everything else you could want in front desk clerks. Kudos to all 3 of them. My only "complaint" is that the bed was pretty hard and we both had back aches every morning. Hopefully the owners will furnish the rooms that are now being renovated with softer, more comfortable mattresses. (half of the auberge is closed because of the fire at Pain Beni) Breakfast was at Cafe Buade and it, too, was excellent. Yes, as others have said, parking was a pain but we got over it since the room was so nice. Would I recommend this auberge?? Of course! ...we loved it!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crickerpicker
Ontario
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Booked this hotel on the strength of previous reviews here. Stayed only one night because we had a 'real $$ deal' at Le Chateau Frontenac and had to stay at this city icon. The auberge is a one minute walk across the square from the Chateau. Very convenient for touring both the upper and lower towns. The attached Pain Beni Restaurant had a fire in October so there are only 8 or 9 rooms available until sometime in January. The staff was exceptional. Friendly, helpful. This is one property I have no problem in recommending.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 October 2009

When I was researching where we might spend our vacation in Quebec City, this hotel continued to come to the surface. We flew to QC and took a taxi right to the hotel. Because it was located on a pedestrian mall, there was no traffic outside our window. Located close to the funicular, tour office, grocery store and all the great historical sites made it an ideal choice. If you couldn't walk, a free bus took you, within the city, to sites that were at a greater distance. And finally, the decor of this hotel is a mix of old and new giving you a warm, fuzzy feeling. If you want to get the feeling of Europe without spending the money, go to QC.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple