“Excellent service, great comfort and location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel 71

Hotel 71
Ranked #10 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent service, great comfort and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at that hotel last month and every staff member is really welcoming, friendly and helpful. The room are really comfortable. You can walk into the Old Quebec and enjoy the boutiques and restaurants.
Great place to stay. I recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear monique s,

All of us at Hôtel 71 would like to thank you for selecting our property on your recent visit to Québec City.

We appreciate your great comments and are looking forward to your potential return.

To the pleasure of welcoing you back,

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed 1 night at this hotel in the heart of the old town, after getting an excellent rate from a promotion. The hotel was of a very high standard. Although we had a standard room it was very large, as was the bathroom with an amazing walk in shower. The staff were all very helpful, welcoming and friendly and were able to give excellent recommendations for restaurants. Very comfortable bed!

1 Thank O S
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear O S,

Thank you for sharing your review of our property, it is greatly appreciated.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our overall services and amenities to be of a very high standard.

We are looking forward to your potential return to Hôtel 71, soon,

Chestertown, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We spent a long weekend seeking snow, and found a lovely hotel as well. Upon arrival, we were upgraded to a suite, with a beautiful view of the river. Our room had high ceilings, a bleached wood floor, granite counters in the BR with a rainfall shower & soaking tub. The decor was modern, chic & comfortable. There were 2 flat screen TVs (in the seating area & bedroom), and a "pod" espresso maker. The queen platform bed was dressed with a down comforter (European style) and 4 large pillows. The staff was helpful & always greeted us with a smile. We were within walking distance of the Petite Champlain (a charming block of shops & restaurants) and Parliament Hill. Our first night's sleep was interrupted by a malfunctioning fire alarm, but a personal note of apology and 1/2 bottle of wine went a long way to rectify the problem. Continental breakfast with cereal, dried fruit, nuts, cheese, ham, croissants, bread, fruit and boiled eggs was complimented with cappuccino, espresso or cafe au lait.
We'd hope to try the hotel restaurant, but were too late in making a reservation, but the charming gentleman at the desk recommended another, and made the reservation for us.
We found 3 cross-country ski areas within an hour's drive, so we never made it to the gym on the fifth floor.

3 Thank Lorraine S
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Lorraine S,

It was a pleasure to read your review of our property, thank you for taking the time to post it for everyone to see.

Again, we apologized for the fire alarm but happy that you enjoyed our follow-up. We did have a situation in our restaurant with no consequences but our system did take it as an emergency as it should.

It was great to read that you enjoyed our facility, its services and overall equipment as well as our location fit for a perfect winter getaway in Québec City.

To the pleasure of welcoming you back,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Had a fantastic stay at this hotel. Staff were brilliant, service was impeccable and the room was fantastic. I would definitely stay here again.

Pros (probably can't list them all)
-Proximity to everything (including some great local restaurants)
-Extremely helpful staff
-Free WiFi
-Included breakfast
-Nespresso machine in the room!
-Awesome room with very chic look to it, but nothing over the top
-Great valet service - in the winter it is worth it! He even turned on my heated seats for us when he brought it back. Very slick
-Cool rain shower if you wanted to use it

Cons (very few of them)
-Need a towel rack in the bathroom. You're encouraged to reuse your towels, a towel rack helps them dry faster (just a suggestion)
-At the end of the stay I was given a TripAdvisor card. This in no way influenced my review or my likelihood to write one as I'm already an avid TripAdvisorer...I just didn't think it was necessary to drop that hint.

Overall - Very highly recommend this hotel in Quebec City. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel at a 4 star price, this is the place to go. Chateau Frontenac looks awesome, but the best views of it are from the outside anyway!

PS: I also recommend that you hop on the ferry to Levis just for the experience. This hotel is in very close proximity to the dock.

Room Tip: All the upper room views are great. You either get the Chateau and the hill or out onto the river
2 Thank ttpluto
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear ttpluto,

The whole Hôtel 71 Team would like to thank you for posting such a great review of our property.

We greatly appreciate the time you took to share your impressions about your recent visit to Hôtel 71.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and find our staff to be helpful, our rooms to be chic and well-equipped as well as all of the other perks such as our location, our free WiFi and the inclusion of breakfast in your room rate.

We also well noted your suggestions and will be taking them into consideration.

Hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon for another great stay at Hôtel 71!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I am at this hotel right now as I type this from my room over looking the river. As recommended by the reviewers on here, I requested the river view and the hotel was able to oblige. That was a nice start to the first day of my vacation here.

First Impressions:
1) Location
Wow, wow, wow. The location of this hotel is truly beautiful. Situated just inland of the St.Lawrence River, it is on Rue Saint-Pierre, a beautiful street that reminds me of the European roads I walked along in London, England and Paris, France - it has that intimate feel due to the narrow roads and its beautifully maintained buildings. You can have a beautiful hotel, or you can have a beautiful hotel and make it more beautiful by having it close to water - in this case, the St. Lawrence. The location of this hotel is just perfect.

2) Staff
As soon I arrived, I was met at the door by a handsome, tall young man who assisted me with my luggage. He was well groomed and had a very sincere, friendly face. I am quite sensitive to nuances and vibes received from people in the service industry. This young man was genuinely nice. I felt like tipping him even though he didn't do anything - that's how nice he came across. I was led to the front desk where I checked in. The young, pretty girl there was all smiles and so friendly I was starting to feel awkward. Yes, awkward. I'm a hardened Torontonian who is use to the coldness of the big city where people - even those in the service industry - don't treat you this way. Generally, I'd have to go to a small township in Ontario to receive such smiles and attention. She catered to me in English without attitude and this made me feel less guarded. I really want to speak to her in French (attempted French) next time as I think French is a beautiful language, but I am so embarrassed at my poor English accent...I'll try tomorrow. Anyway, the staff interaction so far has been fantastic! This is only day one so let's see how things go tomorrow.

3) Room
The physical size of the room is quite small compared to other hotels I've been, but not small enough that you are disappointed. When you walk in, the room (Superior) is basically a square - this is where you have the platform bed + side tables; a single, red, velvet couch chair in the corner; a desk + flat screen television on top; and a small, low-rise table for your luggage. The beauty of this room does not lie in its dimensions. If that were the case, it would fail miserably since other hotels have larger suites. The "wow" factor of this room lies with it's decor. It is so well done that you are captivated and find yourself walking around like a kid touching everything; all with a big silly grin. The room is cool, chic, and fun - all rolled up in one! I hope I am making it absolutely clear that, although it's not the biggest standard room I've stayed in, this is definitely one of the most charming rooms I've ever stayed in. That's quite the compliment coming from me, a person who's been to New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, Havana, and Boston. I guess what really appeals to me is that when you walk in, you don't feel like you're in a hotel. Hotel 71 has created a room that doesn't have the standard generic hotel bed, and hotel furniture. It's feels more like staying at a rich friend's house who's parents are interior designers/decorators. Comfy, fun, and yes, I am smiling as I type this - oh, now I am looking out my window over night scene along the river and all the lights along it. Sigh...all I am missing is my single malt scotch and a beautiful young Quebecois woman year old massaging me - one at my shoulders and the other at my feet. Ha! Ok, the long drive here from Toronto is making me delusional. Time to wash up and sleep.

Summary:
A classy, elegant hotel that is welcoming, unpretentious while still being chic. The thought occured to me as I was roaming around the hall ways and checking out the amenities: this hotel is not just a place for accommodations, but a tourist attraction in its own right. Yes, it's that nice. Check it out for yourself.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Wandering-Philosophe
Dear Wandering-Philosophe,

It was a pleasure to read such an excellent and detailed review of our property; we thank you for making it available for all to see.

We do give a priority to our Team in making sure we get the best to serve of guests, we believe that is does make a difference!

Also, extreme care was put into the design of this property, thinking of local architects and designers using only local material. The result is as good as any upscale Scandinavian properties offering clever ideas in its design and a zen ambiance in its décor.

We certainly hope that the rest of your stay was as good as the beginning and definitely looking forward to a return visit on your behalf to Hôtel 71.

Au plaisir,

Sébastien
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I went to Hotel 71 as a late little Valentine's Day getaway.

The staff was extremely polite, courteous and helpful.

We stayed in room 320 (Superior Room).

The room is large open loft style with beautiful wood floors, high celings. The bathroom had wonderful rainfall shower and a decent sized bath tub.

The main room is divided into a small living room and bedroom divided by a half-wall housing a Widescreen LCD TV that can swivel between the two sections.

The Hotel also offered a complimentary continental breakfast buffet including pecans, walnuts, dried fruit, apples, fruit salad, cereal, croissants, mini muffins, bagels, bread, hard-boiled eggs, sliced ham, orange juice, grapefruit juice, coffee and tea.

My wife and I are vegan, so my only complaint was that the breakfast did not include any soy milk, which would have been nice for cereal and our coffees. Also the restaurant does not offer any vegan options for both in restaurant or room service dining. It would be nice if there menu offered at least one vegan meal.

I would highly recoomend this hotel and will definitely stay there next time I visit Quebec city.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Rpanetta
Dear Rpanetta,

It was a definite pleasure to read your review of our property, thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us.

Please note that room 320 is actually one of our open-concept suites. This open lay-out is enjoyed for its airy space and tons of natural light coming from its many large windows.

I am not sure but it seems like one of our great team member offered you a complimentary upgrade for this special occasion!

Your comments about alternative options during breakfast for vegan guests will definitely be taken into consideration. We are happy that you still did enjoy the continental breakfast included in your stay.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for another great stay at Hôtel 71!

Au plaisir,

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

This review is long overdue and I actually feel bad for not putting it up sooner – if ever a hotel deserved fantastic feedback, this is it. I spent a long weekend in Quebec City in October and actually proposed there, so the hotel needed to be perfect. I was hoping to get into the Chateau Frontenac, but they were completely booked. Thank goodness for that – really, skip the huge lines, tour bus/taxi congestion, and massive crowds of painfully dressed tourists, and head for real luxury at Hotel 71.

I’m worried this is not going to be taken seriously because I am too positive, it sounds like a commercial. One “negative” thing did happen – when I first got to the hotel, I hadn’t realized that the “do not disturb” option is an electronic switch that you have to push when you are in the room. I was changing, had not activated the “do not disturb” option, and so someone came in the room. It was a bit embarrassing. That was it.

When I went, I e-mailed them and asked if they had any suites – they have one, on the top floor. I have put pictures up here as well, because I haven’t seen any thus far. It is incredible. The view is magnificent, sweeping from the Chateau, to a wide panorama of Old Quebec, through to the river. We found ourselves wanting to stay in for sunsets just for the view. I won’t describe the room too much; you can look at the pictures for yourselves and see what I mean when I say incredible.

Maxime made our weekend there that much more pleasurable. Not only is he incredibly friendly, but has all the knowledge and right contacts to truly facilitate a special weekend. Really, overall, I cannot say enough. I travel a lot for work and I have been in my fair share of hotels – the room is extremely important, but it is the service and attention to detail that really distinguish one hotel from the crowd. Well, when we checked in, there was a hand-written note in our room, in perfect Italian, greeting us and making us aware that there was a whole team willing to help if we needed it.

Truly five stars – I hope to find the time to return soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer the best views. E-mail and ask about their suite, it wasn't on their websit...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wlfsbrg01
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Wlfsbrg01,

Regardless how long ago you stayed with us, it was a definite pleasure to read your wonderful comments about our property.

We thank you for submitting such a detailed review, it was greatly appreciated.

I do want to apologize for the interruption in your room. We agree with you that our modern “Do not disturb” system can be tricky for those operating it for the first time.

The suite you occupied definitely offer some of the best views in the city while offering its guests an amazing comfort level as well as all the latest technologies, really is the perfect unit for a special occasion!

As far as Maxime, one of our Clefs d’Or Concierges, we are extremely happy to have such a dedicated person on our team. We are also very proud of our entire team who takes such good care of all our guests like if it was family.

It was an honor to be the preferred location for your wedding proposal.

All of us at Hôtel 71 wish you both nothing but the very best,