“Lovely Hotel In Lower Town”
Review of Hotel 71

Hotel 71
Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 14 August 2012

My husband and I spent three mid-week nights at the hotel. It's location was ideal -- a quiet street across from the Musee de Civilisation, but a short walk to many lovely cafes and shoppes. The rooms are spacious and modern; ours had a spectacular view of the St. Lawrence. The staff was delightful and very helpful. We arrived late in the evening and they promptly helped us to find a restaurant still serving dinner and provided a map to get our weary-selves to the right place! Breakfast was continental and included tasty fresh bread and croissant, cereals, yogurt, fresh and dried fruit as well as sliced meats and cheeses. Hint: They'll ask if you want coffee or tea when you are seated, but ask for an expresso or latte and it will be cheerfully be delivered! Also, appreciated nice touches in-room: robes, dimming lights, reading lights, a cozy throw and boutique toiletries.

Room Tip: They will valet park your car, but the cost was $21 per day. I think with a little effort we could...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
vlemieux, Room Division Manager at Hotel 71, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

August 15th, 2012

Bonjour Rebekah5720,

Thank you for taking from your time to share your appreciation of your recent stay among us at Hotel 71.

We are glad to see that you've been able to enjoy all of our different services that we have to offer to our guests, always trying to be able to exceed their expectations.

To the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Hotel 71 for the second time this past weekend. I loved it so much the first time we stayed that we decided to return. To be honest it was our little paradise. We love the city, the restaurants, and the hotel. The first time we went we had a superior room and it was more than perfect. We went during off season in October so I guess that was the reason for the lower rate ($161 a night for a superior room) because we were a bit surprised of the higher prices to stay in August ($224 a night for a basic room). We asked the hotel if they could accomodate the same rate and they couldn't but because it was our tenth anniversary they gave us their cheapest in-season rate ($224) and upgraded us to a suite. It was just as perfect as the first time and so was the view. On arrival we had chocolates in our room and a note wishing us a happy anniversary. We loved the atmosphere at the hotel and outside the hotel, being right in Old Quebec in the midst of the history and the shops and restaurants.The bathrooms are amazing, the beds and bedding are comfortable, the rooms are very clean and very romantic and the views are unbelievable. We actually really enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel. It was right up our alley being on a healthy kick at this point in our lives. We could have used a fridge in the room as we had brought snacks and other items with us to keep cold but we had a cooler with us so we left that plugged in the entire time. The complimentary coffee in the lobby was perfect when coming back from our long day as the weather was cold and rainy. We knew from the last time we were there that there was a DVD player in the room so we brought movies with us but the cable was more than adequate so we didn't need to watch them and the Olympics were on the entire time anyway. The staff were also extremely friendly and helpful. Our stay included valet parking. Unfortunately for our trip this is where things went wrong. When we checked out we asked them to bring our car. We got in, got the GPS set for home and turned on the car. The car was shaking, we thought maybe it was a combination of the car sitting for a few days, the amount of rain that we had gotten and the cobblestone wobbly streets. After we drove a block we noticed the engine light was blinking and we pulled into the gas station. We immediately called the hotel and asked if anything had happened to our car. They told us that the valet had noticed the shaking but thought it was normal and decided not to say anything to us. We indicated it wasn't doing that when we originally dropped it off and so it was strange that this started happening out of the blue after we hadn't seen our car for 2 days (don't have any idea where cars get parked when valet takes them). We were obviously concerned something had happened to our car wherever it had been parked. BUT we are not blaming the hotel. Of course it was Sunday and we weren't sure if anything was open or could be done. We kept in contact with the hotel throughout the day. We asked if they'd be able to help us out with another room and they said they would and to call them when we knew more of our situation. To make a long story short we spent the entire day sitting at Canadian Tire (the only open garage) and they advised us they'd need to keep it overnight. We were tired and stressed and felt stranded in a city we knew nothing about. We called the hotel back and they advised us they had 31 rooms available and that they could give us a basic room for $40 off reg price ($179) including parking and breakfast. We didn't need parking!!! When we asked if they could lower it more because we didn't need parking, they refused. My husband said they also seemed annoyed that we were asking for a cheaper rate. We were really disappointed that after everything we'd been through that day in a city far from home, with a language we weren't entirely comfortable with, not knowing where we were half the time, not knowing what was wrong with our car or how much it would cost to fix it, that they couldn't of given us a much better price for a room Would it have been completely unreasonable to give us a room for $100 considering we were basically stranded? They had 31 vacant rooms...it was the difference between them getting money for one of them, and keeping a customer for life or letting it sit empty and unused. We ended up making a bunch of phone calls and finding a decent hotel closer to the Canadian Tire where we had spent the last several hours. I am not sure if I would go back to Hotel 71 after this. It was our little paradise, a place to go and get away, and now I no longer have that special feeling when I think about QC.

3  Thank Leslie R
vlemieux, Room Division Manager at Hotel 71, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

August 15th, 2012

Dear Leslie R,

What a pleasure it was to read your review regarding your last stay with us to celebrate your wedding anniversary...until the unfortunate issue you had experienced at the end of your stay with your vehicle.

Rest assured that our valet team is really honest and aim for a complete satisfaction from our guests and would have advised the management immediately if something would have occurred with your vehicle during your stay which is the hotel procedure to follow when an unusual situation like this one happens.

Concerning the request for a better room rate upon your last unexpected night in Québec City, we certainly understand your comment following the day you had. I am convinced that the agent made the best possible offer considering the limitations. Please understand that even if rooms are available, a minimum revenue is expected from our occupied rooms.

We are sorry that you feel like we did not meet your expectations as far as room rates offered which can vary quite a lot from seasons to seasons as well as from day to day depending on our actual occupancy.

If ever Quebec City is considered for another visit, do not hesitate to contact me personally so I can make proper arrangements for your stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed at hotel 71 over the august long weekend. It's located in the lower part of the city which I actually liked. I can see how most people may want to stay in a hotel located on the upper part of the city but for me this was perfect. I found the upper part to be TOO touristy and too congested with picture takers, pubs (? why) and such. The lower part of the city is still bustling but more chill and less congested with tourists. The streets are more narrow with many "no cars allowed" streets and alleyways filled with quebec's specialty shops and art galleries.
This hotel is located on a super pretty (and clean) street right across the street from the museum of civilation. It's also walking distance to the chateau and the more touristy part of the city.

I stayed on the 5th floor and the room was spotless, tastefully (trendy and modern) decorated with some really unique design choices (the bathroom and the exposed brick beams and industrial high ceiling with exposed pipes). It was a perfect example of a modern boutique hotel that isn't too intimidating for older people but still interesting and fresh for the younger patrons.

The ammenities were really great too. The bathrobes are super soft and so comfy (i ended up making a purchase from the lobby gift shop), the bath products are really and of course the cable TV beats the hell out of hotel information channel and pay per view commercials like in most other hotels.

The room was also equipped with a conair hair dryer (NO tiny little hotel room hair dryer that blows room temperature air with no force) along with an iron and a board- it's the little things.

The room lacked a mini fridge but had an espresso machine with all the stuff you need to make yourself a good cup of joe each morning.
There are no water bottles in the room but the 5th floor gym has a well stocked fridge with complimentary water bottles for guests- which i took advantage of.

the continental (complimentary breakfast) was ok. It didnt have any hot food selection. choices were yogurt, bread, baked goods, black forest ham, cheese, juices and jams, oh and hard boiled eggs. I would have liked to have seen more variety in terms of hot food options but whatever was provided were all delicious and of high quality, good ingredient food items.

The staff were pleasant and very accommodating- from check in to check out!

I would totally stay at this hotel again when I go back to old quebec. It was a good one.
(we travelled with another couple who also stayed at this hotel and they only have really nice things to say about this place!)

1  Thank Mardy J
vlemieux, Room Division Manager at Hotel 71, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

August 10th, 2012

Bonjour Julia J,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review of our property.

We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed all of our services and our great location!

Thank you for selecting us!

To the pleasure of welcoming you back!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We recently returned from a 5 night visit to Quebec City. I knew I wanted to stay in a mid-size hotel in the old section, but I didn't realize that this hotel (as well as a number of others I was considering) was outside of the QC walls. Although the location (old, lower city) was not what I intended when I booked, it was more than perfect. The old city has an upper and lower part, with different vibes. Although the upper city is beautiful and very french, with great restaurants, sites, and art galleries, it is on a larger scale than the old city beneath the wall (old fortification). In the lower city there are many great hotels, restaurants, galleries, shops, the St. Lawrence,the Place Royale, and the Museum of Civilization, in a "tight" older european style village. It was so much fun to be able to explore the whole area of 17th and 18th century architecture, narrow cobblestone streets, and occasionally walk or take the funicular right up to the Champlain plazza by the Hotel Fontennac. A two hour tour of the old upper section was a good overview and gave us an idea of where we wanted to return at our leisure in the upper city. Both upper and lower city had street entertainers. If you don't want a long excursion down the St. Lawrence, there is a ferry that inexpensively crosses the St. Lawrence to the town of Levi; it is well worth the view and the short ride there and back. The Hotel 71 was modern, clean and close to everything. We passed on the really expensive restaurants, although most of the restaurants around the tourist areas were not cheap. I enjoyed the Bistro Sous le Fort the best for food,wine, ambiance, and service-had the best salmon I've ever eaten; it was a great piece of fish but also cooked perfectly. QC was a terrific vacation spot, especially if you like a French/European atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the St. Lawrence. We had 621 (I think) which had an unobstructed view...
2  Thank C S
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear ItsOurTurn,

Thank you for sharing your review of our property following your recent stay with us at Hotel 71.

We were delighted to know that you enjoyed our property as well as our Old Port location.

We certainly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back again, soon.

Au plaisir,

Reviewed 5 August 2012

The room looked nice but the things we really needed did not work! Internet was so weak we couldn't use it, we couldn't figure out how to turn off the loud music that was playing in the room when we entered (a button on the dvd remote, who would know?), the phone did not work, so we couldn't even call reception, and had to go down to the front desk to try to solve every problem. Staff were unconcerned about phone and internet not working. Valet parking left my car out front half the night, although I had asked them to park it on arrival as it was full of suitcases and I wanted it to be in a safe place. First time I have seen a big tip jar right on the breakfast buffet - staff seem eager for approval without providing the service that generates it.

1  Thank charliebrown5

Dear charliebrown5,

What a disappointment it was to read your review following your recent stay at Hôtel 71.
Please accept our sincere apologies for not being up to par with our services according to your comments.

Rest assure that the issues you mentioned will be addressed with the proper managers for immediate actions.

We certainly aim for complete satisfaction from our guests and judging by other travelers' comments, we deliver.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed here mid-week. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is well-located in the lower part of the town, close to great restaurants and the waterfront. Our room had a great view of the St. Lawrence. The rooms are very spacious and modern. The only thing missing in the rooms is a luggage rack or two -- not sure why they don't have them, since they really protect the room. Also, there was no doorman or bellman to help with the bags. From the front of the hotel, you have to go up some pretty steep steps. If you're not up to dragging your luggage upstairs, it might be a small problem. Final note -- breakfast came with the room, but nothing to get excited about.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the St. Lawrence.
1  Thank SteveBazakas

Monsieur Bazakas,

Thank you for sharing your review of our property following your recent visit.

We appreciate your feedback and are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Please note that all of our rooms have a luggage rack in the closet, if ever it wasn’t there, we do apologize. As far as bellman, we are sorry that they weren’t available. Proper actions shall be taken if necessary.

Your comment about our complimentary breakfast will also be addressed.

To the pleasure of welcoming you back,

Reviewed 3 August 2012

For our 20th anniversery we got away to old Quebec city for a few days.

The location is ideally situated right in the heart of old lower Quebec. The room was spacious with quite tall ceilings (10 or 12 feet). Everything you could want was available. Our room was nicely appointed in a more modern fashion. The view was absolutely stunning. The windows in our suite overlooked the river and old Quebec.

The staff had a way of being that makes one feel like an honored guest. They are friendly, courteous, helpful and at the same time tastefully deferential.

There is a kind of a buffet breakfast that features cereal, cold cuts, boiled eggs, yogurt, and fresh fruit. The highpoint for me was the fresh baked muffins and croissants. Excellent coffee, etc.

An excellent hotel that I will definitely stay at again.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor higher up (5th floor up) the view is beautiful. Ours was a 6th floor corner suite.
1  Thank CaribooBC1270
scornellier, Director of Sales at Hotel 71, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Dear CaribooBC1270,

All of us at Hôtel 71 would like to thank for sharing your review of our property with everybody.

We appreciate your excellent feedback and are happy that you enjoyed all we have to offer.

As you mentioned our location, views, overall amenities and services are tough to beat!

Thank you for selecting us and to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Au plaisir,