“Le Drague Only gay bar in Quebec C.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Le Drague Only gay bar in Quebec C.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

What a commentary that being the only gay bar in a city of more than 500,000 there are only three prior reviews and one of those is from a straight couple complaining that there was no show. The fact is Quebec City has history, architecture, fab food, Le Citadelle & ramparts, but really NO GAY LIFE and Le Drague is located between a cemetary and a church (out of sight,maybe??). So one must conclude that gay activity is stifled. BTW, not every gay person is interested in drag at all. Has Quebec never heard of a piano bar where suited businessmen might relax after work or similar venues. My partner and I went there for a pre-dinner drink one nite and the place was quite empty about 7:00 pm and the lady behind the bar looked at me curiously when I asked for a red wine. She finally let some other patron open the bottle while laughing as if this was really a novelty. I did not have a + feeling when a bartender had no idea how t o open a bottle.

Visited July 2012
8 Thank cwtrade

Calgary
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Good sights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Located next to a church and old graveyard so it might creep you out if your queasy, other than that good atmosphere good drink, no food though so you will need to seek other location. Go to Grande Alle for terrace restaurants there is so much to choose from.

2 Thank thefoodsnob
Las Vegas, Nevada
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Kind of a Drag”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

A week before my wife and I went to Le Drague was the yearly gay pride festival in Quebec City, where a DJ and some performers from Le Drague performed in Place d'Youville, where we had a great time dancing for two hours in the square. That's why we were surprised that going to the club the next Saturday night just wasn't that fun. Their website said that drag shows happen on Saturdays, but when we arrived, we learned there was no show scheduled.

The club has one dance floor, and several bars, one next to the dance floor and the other in quieter rooms. I’d guess the mix that night was 50% gay, 45% lesbian, and 5% hetero. Everyone was dressed low-key, with none of the fabulousness one would associate with such a venue. Clearly, Quebec City is neither South Beach nor West Hollywood.

We liked the fog and the light show in the dance room, except when the room was lit up periodically for unknown reasons. Our main complaint was with the DJ. Maybe he just wasn't having a good day, but many of the music choices weren't great to dance to, and many of the transitions were rough. It was also a drag that workers often walked through the dance floor carrying things (boxes, bottles, a bucket, a mop) between a storage room and the other bars.

It would take little to improve the club, and we hope it’s better the next time we visit Quebec.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank DiscerningOnes
Saugus, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“It's all about the night...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2011

My friends and I went on a Monday night and a Tuesday night, and while those aren't normally the busiest time for drinking, I must say that Tuesday had plenty of patrons!

It (to my knowledge) is currently the only gay bar in Quebec City. While that's a shame, Le Drague certainly makes itself known with its tasteful decor and abundance of events.

I suggest ordering a pitcher of love...only fifteen dollars, and my friends and I milked them for quite some time!

Visited April 2011