“Hotel was a gem until it got re-rated by Starwood”

Four Points by Sheraton Quebec Resort
Ranked #56 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal
“Hotel was a gem until it got re-rated by Starwood”
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I used to stay at the Four Points for every trip to Quebec city. And my work requires a lot of them.

The hotel was clean, near both downtown Quebec (10 mins by car) and also near Lac Beauport.

The hotel was perfect for single or two night stays. Then it go up-rated by Starwood from a Category 2 to a Category 3. As such the prices skyrocketed as did the number of SPG points to stay there.

Now it's simply another hotel-on-a-golf-course. Obviously, I'm not a golfer. And the high price can't be justified any other way. The downtown Hilton, while boring, is far less expensive when pricing similar rooms.

It's sad because I genuinely liked this hotel, but when rooms go from $109 to $199 it makes a big difference. Business or not.

I can no longer recommend it, however if you can find a deal somewhere in the $100 range for single rooms and $150 for junior suites, it's worth it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Monkey_Brand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 11 July 2009

As it turned out, I had to stay one night at this hotel and one night at the Hilton downtown since I couldn't book both nights at either. While the Hilton is, of course, nicer, it's also more expensive, and I felt I got a good value for both. This place is quite a bit out of town, but is also very quiet, roomy, and comfortable. As SPG Gold members, we were offered upgrades to suites but declined as we wanted two beds. There's plenty of free parking. There's lots of room to spread out. The rooms are clean, modern, and well-insulated. The pool was closed in early June. The restaurant was a real surprise. Not only was the food quality excellent, but the price was reasonable for dinner as well. This is nice since the hotel isn't anywhere near anything else.
This was a solid 3* experience at a fair price.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lebelgo
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 May 2009

My wife and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Four Points and we were extremely pleased for the price. The shame of the matter is that with a few tweaks, this could be a full fledged Sheraton instead of a Four Points. The property and the rooms are really nice, but the location isn't ideal (but not horrible). This was our first trip to Quebec City and we absolutely fell in love with it. But, next time we won't be staying at the Four Points. In a few of the hotel's marketing materials, I even see that they are calling it a resort, but it doesn't come close. Yes, it's in a suburban location and has a golf course, but it's in horrible shape. The bright spot is that the restaurant serves excellent food, but the decor is somewhat shabby and generally uninspiring. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great for less than $100 a night, but they could work wonders with this place and demand a much higher price. But the rooms are clean and roomy and they even throw in free Wi-Fi, so I'm not complaining. I would definitely recommend it for a family vacation, but not for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank romadaro
Philadelphia
Reviewed 4 May 2009

My husband and I traveled to Quebec City for the New Year. We decided to stay at the Four Points because he had built up some Starwood points from traveling. It was a very cute hotel. The staff was very friendly and very willing to help us. Everyone spoke French and English. As we spoke no French this was helpful. They were able to give us directions to places and made recommendations.

The hotel was a great distance from the center of town. It was really easy to get to. We got ourselves a navigation unit for Christmas which helped since the signs were in French, but I think we could have done it on our own. There were lots of stores on the way into town as well. We stopped at Zellers (pretty much a Target) to buy a memory card for our camera.

The hotel rooms were very nice and everything was really clean. The parking lot was complete ice but so was every other parking lot in Quebec - just be careful stepping out of your car!

I would not recommend going to the hotel bar. My husband got a port which he loved. However, I asked for Baileys on the rocks and got a couple drops in my glass for some outrageous price. The next night we bought a bottle of wine at the local spirits store and had that in the hotel room instead.

There was a hot tub but I wasn't about to go outside in the negative degree weather in a bathing suit. There was also a snow mobile place right next to the hotel. We just never got around to trying it.

We had a great time walking around the shops in town and would recommend this hotel. Especially if you have Starwood points its a great value. We'd love to go back when the weather isn't so cold!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 4 November 2008

If you expect a good, clean 3 Star hotel, you will not be dissappointed with this solid Sheraton property. It is conveniently located right next to the highway but for some reason it doesn't show up in GPS systems, so make sure you call the hotel ahead for directions. Even though it says "Sheraton Quebec", it is really in Charlesborough, with downtown Quebec City a 25 minute drive away. There are enough cheap parking spaces in the upper town, so its not a problem if you use this hotel to explore Quebec City.

I booked this property using my Starwood points, and was upgraded to a junior suite. The room was big enough, but the configuration was a bit weird. Bathrom was clean and well stocked with Four Points toiletries. Carpeting was a bit tired.

The front desk was great in giving us delivery menus of nearby restaurants, and in translating them into English! There is a restaurant on property that we did not use, and parking was a little tight on a busy weekend.

If you are using Starwood points, or for some reason don't want to stay in the upper town (where hotel and B&B qualities can be crap shoot and prices exorbitant), I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank FrmNJ
Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 July 2008

The location is not the best if you want to be in the City but it's a short drive if you have a car. I would not recommend staying here if you don't have a car though. The staff were fine and we had no service problems. We stayed in a junior suite which was very spacious and included a large bathroom, living room, and bedroom. As it's a Four Points property, the accomodations were nice but not glamorous, which was fine by us. The wireless is free, which is how it should be everywhere. We arrived in the evening after a long drive and went to the restaurant for dinner, but realized it was way too over the top for our tastes (lots of overpriced meat!) We didn't have any language issues but I did witness issues another guest was having when we were checking out. The property looks nicer online than it did in person, the grounds right around the hotel are nice but there's a large construction area and the highway right nearby so the views were lame. Overall, I would recommend this hotel if you don't want to be right in the center of QC and want a good mid-priced hotel.

Stayed July 2008
Toronto. ON
Reviewed 20 July 2008

The staff were friendly and courteous. Our stay at the Sheraton was very comfortable and the rooms were well kept and clean. Great food and service. No complaints at all. I would definetly recommend the Sheraton Quebec.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)