“Good hotel, far from downtown”

Four Points by Sheraton Quebec Resort
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We stayed there while skiing at Stoneham, a ski hill about 20min away. The suite was spacious with a nice fireplace. The hot tub was fun. We had a good time there, but the hotel is too far from the city.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton Wed August 12-15 for our 25th anniversary. I did a great deal of searching on the internet before I committed to this hotel. While it was our 25th anniversary, I wanted to spend money IN Quebec, not necessary ON Quebec. I found an amazing deal on the Starwood website. It's the "pay your age" deal they are running all year until December. We paid $190 for our first night (the regular rate) and then nights 2 and 3 we only paid $51 each. You pay your year of birth (1951 for hubby). We could not have booked a better place. Very convenient to everything. It took us less than 10 minutes and we were in Vieux Quebec. It was actually nice to spend the day/evening in Old Quebec and then just a quick jaunt back to our beautiful, quiet room. We booked a junior suite which meant we had a separate queen bedroom with large closet, tv, highboy dresser and windows that OPEN! I love that. We had a livingroom with armoire, tv, double sofabed, chairs and coffee table. There was also another armoire with hanging closet space, ironing board, coffee/tea centre. The bathroom was 8 X 12 (I counted the floor tiles!) It was huge and beautiful. Granite countertop, very generous, nice lighting and curved shower curtain with great showerhead. I requested a golf course view, which we got. All windows opened which we liked. Great air conditioning. We stayed on the third floor.

The pool was really an oversized hot tub. It was more like a dipping pool with a ledge to sit on with jets all around. We did not use it but everyone who used it looked like they were enjoying themselves.

The hotel overlooks Le Faune golf course. Much to my husband's chagrine, he did not golf as this was OUR weekend. There is a very large second storey stone patio that overlooks the golf course. They have Muskoka chairs and tables out there. At night they stock the chimnea with firewood beside it so guests can sit out with a drink in the Muskoka chairs and enjoy the fire. We were always back too late to enjoy that, but it was a very nice touch. Especially since it's dark there, you can enjoy the stars too.

Check-in was great. No problems whatsoever with snotty personnel like a poster below said. We speak almost non-existant French and they were extremely welcoming and helpful. The lobby area has a gas fireplace with comfy chairs to sit and enjoy. There is a restaurant onsite which we grabbed our first cup of java from.

There is a Cora's Restaurant about 6 minutes away which we ate breakfast at. Reception gave us the directions. We tried Normands for one breakfast, not impressed. We went back to Cora's the next day.

Mont Morency Falls are close. We bought tickets online before our trip to see the Grande Finale of the International Fireworks Competition on the Wednesday night. Amazing!! The front desk gave us directions to punch into our GPS to the shuttle park and we took the shuttle to the falls. Great time and moneysaver.

Speaking of GPS, our GPS would not pick up the address or name of this hotel. When we left from Muskoka on our 10 hr trip to the hotel, we just picked something near Quebec City and followed that. Fortunately, I had printed off a map on Google maps with directions too, so we had to follow that. As for our trips around Quebec City, front desk gave us an alternate address for our GPS and that worked fine.

We also spent a day driving the old highway to Sainte Anne du Beaupre which was narrow and very cool, like you were in France. We also did Canyon St Anne and I did the zipline there. The Falls are beautiful there and it's only $11 to get in. Beautiful scenery. We saw the free Cirque Du Soleil show one night and the Image Mill another night. We were busy. Loads of walking! We came home each night pleasantly exhausted and very content.

Thanks, Four Points by Sheraton! It was a trip of a lifetime for us. A 25th Anniversary that could not have been better and we will never forget you.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank luckytimer
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This strangely-designed, "motel", squeezed in a rectangular building between the highway and a golf course is definitely no resort. If you've come to see Quebec City, be aware that it's a ten-minute drive IF it's not rush hour, and then you have to park. If you've come to park beside the highway and play golf, you are probably in the right place.
For some reason, the rooms, though modern, were designed without closets. Half of a small armoire is all we got. The view is of the parking lot unless you upgrade to a suite. No refrigerator and a somewhat pathetic in-room coffee maker. Very comfortable beds with an over-the-top pillow assortment did not compensate for the lack of any other amenities. We are re-locating to QC.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Goodness.... one thing I would say is if you are coloured or you are not French speaking, stay away from this hotel.... We booked this hotel with cash & point through starwoods(with a SPG Platinum Card) for a day...When we arrived at the hotel at 5.00 pm (on a weekend after 5 hours drive from Ottawa), the reception told us that they waited for us till 3.30 PM and since we have not reached the hotel by 3.00 pm, they allotted our two rooms to other guests. Alas, the chek in time is 3.00 pm and they had our phone numbers and SPG information in their system. The reception indicated that by reading our names, they thought that we will not be coming to the hotel. They did not even offered an appology for the mishaps... No substitute placements.. no suggestions...since we are unable to converse in French; they appeared to be ignoring us in so many subtle ways... My friend and I travelled to a lot of places, but never exprerienced such an insult.. To add to our insult, on our way out from the hotel, one staff followed us and said she can arrange a house with two rooms for $600 for a night! With a lot of disappointment, we drove back to Ottawa with one simple decision - We will never go back to that hotel....

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
7  Thank TravellingMallu
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I used to stay at the Four Points for every trip to Quebec city. And my work requires a lot of them.

The hotel was clean, near both downtown Quebec (10 mins by car) and also near Lac Beauport.

The hotel was perfect for single or two night stays. Then it go up-rated by Starwood from a Category 2 to a Category 3. As such the prices skyrocketed as did the number of SPG points to stay there.

Now it's simply another hotel-on-a-golf-course. Obviously, I'm not a golfer. And the high price can't be justified any other way. The downtown Hilton, while boring, is far less expensive when pricing similar rooms.

It's sad because I genuinely liked this hotel, but when rooms go from $109 to $199 it makes a big difference. Business or not.

I can no longer recommend it, however if you can find a deal somewhere in the $100 range for single rooms and $150 for junior suites, it's worth it.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Monkey_Brand
Reviewed 11 July 2009

As it turned out, I had to stay one night at this hotel and one night at the Hilton downtown since I couldn't book both nights at either. While the Hilton is, of course, nicer, it's also more expensive, and I felt I got a good value for both. This place is quite a bit out of town, but is also very quiet, roomy, and comfortable. As SPG Gold members, we were offered upgrades to suites but declined as we wanted two beds. There's plenty of free parking. There's lots of room to spread out. The rooms are clean, modern, and well-insulated. The pool was closed in early June. The restaurant was a real surprise. Not only was the food quality excellent, but the price was reasonable for dinner as well. This is nice since the hotel isn't anywhere near anything else.
This was a solid 3* experience at a fair price.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lebelgo
Reviewed 23 May 2009

My wife and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Four Points and we were extremely pleased for the price. The shame of the matter is that with a few tweaks, this could be a full fledged Sheraton instead of a Four Points. The property and the rooms are really nice, but the location isn't ideal (but not horrible). This was our first trip to Quebec City and we absolutely fell in love with it. But, next time we won't be staying at the Four Points. In a few of the hotel's marketing materials, I even see that they are calling it a resort, but it doesn't come close. Yes, it's in a suburban location and has a golf course, but it's in horrible shape. The bright spot is that the restaurant serves excellent food, but the decor is somewhat shabby and generally uninspiring. Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great for less than $100 a night, but they could work wonders with this place and demand a much higher price. But the rooms are clean and roomy and they even throw in free Wi-Fi, so I'm not complaining. I would definitely recommend it for a family vacation, but not for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple