“A Pleasant Quebec City Abode”

Auberge Aux Deux Lions
Ranked #5 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Pleasant Quebec City Abode”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Aux Deux Lions is nestled right in the middle of tourists and locals, offering the perfect balance. A few minutes walk on one side is Old Quebec and its cobbled streets and beautiful gates. On the other side is Avenue Cartier, a row of fabulous restaurants and bars to explore. The hotel staff is so genuinely friendly and knowledgeable about the area, and even with the language barrier their service shines. They even offer discounts to several restaurants and sights like the museum and observatory. Breakfast is offered at a fixed price each morning and there is parking on site as well. We stayed in the Cartier room and it was immaculate. The shared bathroom was no issue and a communal kitchen and outdoor balcony offers a chance to get to know the other guests. With such comfort to go home to each evening, we were able to enjoy the city to the fullest each day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angiebees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Since we drove to Quebec City we needed a place with parking. Auberge Aux Deux Lions was a great location with parking in the back. The hosts were all extremely pleasant and helpful. Old Town is walkable and the Performing Arts Center is just a couple of blocks away. Two blocks the other way is a great street with several restaurants and a market. We passed on the hotel breakfast and ate at some good local establishments. Highlight of Old Town was a visit to the Catholic church/school and museum run by the nuns. Their founder had just been canonized (which is a big deal if you happen to be Catholic). Be sure to take a trip to the spectacular waterfall across the river. Also, take the ferry over and back for a wonderful view of the city from the water. Quebec City is all people say it is!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zack H
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here last week. My first visit to Quebec City and it was wonderful. Everyone at deux Lions were wonderful. Sandie, Eliane, Jose and Philippe. Every one of them. Made me extremely welcome and helped at every opportunity. I stayed in the Quebec room. It was a lovely room and I haven't slept that well in a long time. Comfortable with everything you would need. I never used the shared kitchen or sitting area. I was quite comfortable in my own room and enjoying the delicacies of the numerous eateries around deux Lions and in Old Quebec. It is about a 10 minute walk to Old Quebec and I do advise to be aware of the many hills. I found leg muscles I didn't know existed. I will go back to Quebec City and most definitely deux Lions in a heartbeat. I can't wait to see everyone there again.

Room Tip: I was in the Quebec room solo but would also be wonderful for a couple.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had a very nice stay in Auberge Aux Deux Lions. I really appreciated the hospitality. The lady at the reception gave helpful information about the city. Very kind owners.

Spacious room with a great bed. We slept wonderful ;-).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SamSam216
Toyama, Japan
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed this hotel with two friends. I was very very satisfied with warmth and kindness of staffs. Thanks to them,our trip became something pleasant to look back on. I'll never forget them. And I would like to visit them at this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2014
4 Thank sayaka m
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful stay at Auberge Aux Deux Lions last weekend. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. As soon as we checked in they pulled out a map of the area and showed us the best places to eat (and some places to avoid as well) which was quite helpful. The room we stayed in was a bit small but it worked for two people. The room was very clean. The hotel was a good walking distance to downtown. Overall, we had a very positive experience at this bed and breakfast and would recommend it to others. We will likely be back in the future!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Melanie H
Lasagnejoe
Reviewed 22 February 2014

On the down side, Parking is extra ($14/night) and the size of the bathroom sinks remind one of the wash basin on a schooner (tiny).

On the plus side, the staff is very accomodating. There is no elevator (lift) but staff (actually, the owners) had our luggage up to the room before we had even completed the check in process with Sandie, the english-speaking receptionist. Staff were very much customer oriented and acted like private concierges, making reservations and calling taxis (which usually arrived within minutes). On a side note, the sidewalks were still slippery in spots and we called a cab to take us a short walk away, which we would have done with no problem with clean sidewalks). The cab driver arrived, then refused to take us there as he did not want to charge us $5 for such a short trip. As we were about to arrive at our destination, the cab driver pulls up, honks his horn, rolls down his window ans says, "see, I told you it was not far away". I found it humorous; one of our party who has had a double knee replacement found it less humorous. But, I digress. Back to the staff...Sandie provided a wealth of information about local attractions.
A continental breakfast is offered at the hotel for $8.50. If you desire a hot breakfast, there is a restaurant (with the unlikely name Tutti-Frutti) a few doors down that offers a full line of traditional hot breakfasts. There is also a Tim Hortons (think a combination Dunkin donuts and sandwich shop) across the street in the same block.

The Auberge also has a package deal with Graffit Restaurant, a short distance away. A four course meal with a half bottle of wine including tip and taxes for $59. There are limited menu choices but they are not skimpy. I had a first course of salad with grilled sea scallops done with a sauce of curry and maple syrup. An excellent creamed vegetable soup came before the principle plate of Bison Medallions with Bordelaise and seasonal vegetables. A choice of excellent desserts and coffee topped off the meal. I would definitely do this again!

Our room was in the original building and faced the driveway, so there was no street noise to speak of. Although the outside temperatures were frigid, we were quite comfortable inside.

I am thinking of a possible future trip back ther in the summer.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a little sitting area which is nice if you have friends in another room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family