“Charming Boutique hotel in Old Quebec”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Champlain Hotel

Le Champlain Hotel
Ranked #14 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Charming Boutique hotel in Old Quebec”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We booked a room with a fireplace and 2 queen beds, there was a curtain that you can pull across the room for additional privacy, that was the 1st time I've seen that in a hotel. Our room was clean, including the bathroom. The only thing I didnt like was the wallpaper, stare at it long enough and I felt like I was in a circus tent. However the decor didn't take away from the quality of the hotel.

Same comments with other TA reviewers about breakfast and a great coffee machine in the lobby. The breakfast room is small, however everyone seemed to find a spot. Customer service was very helpful, they assisted us with making reservations, answered all our questions about getting around and places to visit.

The lobby is very narrow, so is the hotel desk, the sitting room, the elevator and the hall corridors. Most of the streets are narrow in Old Quebec with several hills. It's a great walking city with many winding streets so wear comfortable shoes....you can walk for hours and miles and not be aware of the time..a lot like Europe. THere's a park across the street from the hotel, it's a bit steep to maneouver. The hotel is off the main road, you do have to walk for a few minutes to get to the main shopping area and restaurants.

Tiny parking lot - there may be 15-20 parking spots, if even. And it's very tight if you have an SUV like we did.

We had time to explore and we enjoyed discovering Old Quebec. We found it to be less commercialized than the old port at Montreal. Overall, a wonderful little hotel, excellent value and since we like to walk alot, the location was great for us.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Maggie C
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to let us your impressions about our property... This is really important for us!

I'm glad to read that you liked the hotel... This is great! OK, I know you didn't like the wallpaper in the room... But it's always very hard to please everybody in terms of decor... This is a question of taste!

The most important thing for most people is the comfort, the amenities, the service and the cleanliness of the room. which was right during your stay, isn't it?

Regarding parking, our places are limited, it's why is always very important to reserve it in advance. It's always better as well to specify that you have a large vehicule. We will reserve the perfect spot for the type of vehicule you have.

Thanks again,

Marc-André

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is a great little hotel in Old Quebec that I would definitely recommend. The room was clean, smelt reaally nice, the bed was a little hard but not that bad, and the location was great - near everything in Old Quebec but a little out of the way so it wasn't noisy at all. The breakfast was fantastic (loved the cretons to eat with my bagel) the 24hr coffee was excellent and the service was great. I would definitely stay here for a leisure visit. I was only in town for one night for work and when looking for accomodations I didn't want to stay in a chain hotel and so after reading reviews on this website went for it. Do not regret. The only regret I have is that I was only there for one night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank pinkdork
Bonjour,

I enjoyed your review very much when I read it... What could I say more when the guest is telling us that its only regret was to be with us for only 1 night? For me, it's wonderful news... This means to me that you will come back and stay longer next time! What to expect more?

We definitively keep the cretons for you on the menu! Don't hesitate to ask for more next time! Bagel and cretons in the morning with a café latté from our machine is just perfect to start your day!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed in the standard room. It was perfect. The 24hrs coffee machine in the lobby came in handy, (espresso, cappucino, all kids of tea's). The staff were very friendly. The complimentary breakfast was just right. I would absolutley stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Bonjour,

Thank you for this really nice review. This is very much appreciated! Next time, do not hesitate to give us a rating of 5 on 5... If we don't deserve it, please tell us why, our aim is to improve constantly ourselves!

You stayed in standard room, which is very affordable for the quality. Next time, you should reserve instead a superior room... For around $20 more per night, you may get an upgraded room with a superb view of the Old-Town.

Looking forward to be your host again,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

We have been to the Champlain twice now and it will be the hotel we come back to everytime we visit the great city of Quebec. The staff are friendly and helpful, the coffee and breakfast are delicious and the room we have had is really special. Please note that we have had the same great room (#46) both times as we request it when making our reservation.

Things to remember:
-If you want a room with a view, ask for one. Some rooms do not have a view.
-If you are driving, reserve parking. It is limited and there is not much room for oversized cars.
-The location is fantastic so once you park the car....Leave it there! The walking is great and the staff will help you with directions and things to see.
-At the time I am writing this, the ratings for this hotel are 302 very good or excellent to 14 poor or terrible. That means that only 1 in ~23 people did not like their stay (or they are just grouchy!). We feel that this ratio speaks for itself. This is a great hotel, at a great value and we will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rickwint3
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Bonjour!

Thank you for your loyalty... As I may see, you are now a frequent traveler to our property! It's always nice to see people coming back to the Champlain Hotel, this is a sign of good customer service and a nice appreciation of our product... Thanks again!

I agree with all the tips you are giving to the other travelers in your review. We have standard rooms, which are usually less expensive, but they don't have any view overlooking the city... For around $20 more, people can easily upgrade their reservation to a superior room (or any bigger room) to get a magnificent view of the Old Town.

The city is easily walkable, the car can stay in the parking lot for all your stay! You recommend to the other travelers to reserve a parking place, which the best way to guarantee a spot for your vehicule and to put away all the trouble to find parking within the walls which is never obvious, especially during high season.

I think now we should rename suite 46 by your name! Are you going to ask the same room again for your next stay? It will be a pleasure to offer you the same!

Lakefield, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for four days on our first trip to Old Quebec. The room was European style (small, clean, and quaint) with a nice view of the street. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast and the availability of hot beverages in the lobby at all times. We were within walking distance of all of the amenities of Old Quebec. Overall, it was a great stay. One thing I would recommend is purchasing the 19 dollar a day parking pass from the hotel as there is no available parking otherwise.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Marc-André D, General Manager at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Bonjour,

Thank you very much for this excellent rating of 5!! This is a perfect score, we cannot ask for more!

You are totally right, everything from the hotel is walkable... There is no need to use your car! As you did yourself, I recommend to everybody to reserve a parking spot before checking in to the hotel. Parking spaces are limited, but very in demand by our guests. It's always better to have a spot reserved to get your mind free!

Parking is $16,50 prior to taxes, which is $19 taxes included.

Thanks again,

Lunenburg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great location for walking around Quebec city. Whole family had a good experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bonjour,

Thank you much for choosing the Champlain during your last stay to Quebec City. I'm pleased you received a good service from our staff, this is really important for us!

We are a family hotel, this is nice that everybody from your family enjoyed their stay among us!

Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Previous reviews here helped me choose this hotel for my recent trip to Old Quebec with my niece and nephew (cousins) who are both 8th graders. I wanted them to have a feel for international travel without needed to fly across the pond to Europe. Old Quebec fit the bill and the Champlain Hotel gave us just the right atmosphere so that it felt like I was back in England or France during our stay. From the friendly greeting at arrival to the leather door and artistic light fixture hanging outside our room things got off to a wonderful start. As advised here, I reserved the onsite parking (and extra, but well worth it added fee) and once parked I didn't more the car until we left four days later. Old Quebec is definitely a walking city, lots of hills but nothing too strenuous if one paces oneself, even when lead by some active young teens. The location of the Champlain Hotel made us central to all we wanted to see and easy for us to get to reasonably priced restaurants at night. The safe feeling we had walking after dark made it magical to stroll back from dinner each evening viewing all the buildings decorated with twinkly lights and swags of various kinds. We also got to see the ice sculptures that remained from the just past Winter Carnival. The timing meant that things were not crowed which we very much appreciated. The breakfast room and variety was wonderful - for two kids that don't really eat much for breakfast at home they found plenty to eat (and filled up) all three mornings. We all appreciated the variety as well as the familiar items any given morning. Extremely friendly and helpful people worked the breakfast room each day - nothing seemed to phase them including the full glass of water which spilled the first morning. Our room, a Jr. suite, was plenty big and comfortable for the three of us with its king bed for my niece and me and the sofa bed for my nephew. The in room jetted tub was a huge hit - two of us enjoyed two nights. Our room's location - 5th floor on the street - gave us fabulous views above roof-tops to the twinkly lights of the city all around. Also, the location, at the top of a set of stairs that lead down to Rue St. Jean made it easy to get to various parts of the city and lent it that old European feel. The one glitch in our stay was the early AM (6:30) overflow of our toilet. Because the kids were still sleeping I chose to go down to see if I could get a mop and clean it up myself - very helpful and friendly night staff gave me what I needed and I was able to get the water up without too much trouble. It was one of the kid's fault that it happened, but everything turned out fine in the end. They both wanted me to write that they really like the breakfasts, the coffee/hot chocolate machine in the lobby and the very friendly people who work a the Champlain Hotel. Thanks for making this first trip with their Auntie such a wonderful experience. Merci!! (Most everyone spoke English but also appreciated our attempts to a least try some French.)

Room Tip: If you like a view of the city get up on the 5th (highest) floor with a street side room. #51 was g...