Le Champlain Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$141
US$136
  • Bar/Lounge
US$186
US$157
  • Pool
Auberge Place D'Armes(Quebec City)
US$133
US$129
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Chateau Bellevue(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$191
US$138
US$134
  • Restaurant
Best Western Plus City Centre/Centre-Ville(Quebec City)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$95
Hilton Quebec(Quebec City)
US$218
US$201
US$292
US$266
2,260 results
All reviewsold quebecespresso machinegreat locationbread puddingwithin walking distanceon site parkingquiet streetfree coffeecroissantsstay there againelectric fireplacebrick wallbreakfast roomjunior suitewine barhard boiled eggssitting area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Rue St Anne is in a great location for exploring old Quebec town, just a short hill from shopping and restaurants, a small walk to the Citadel and a decent stroll to the old port (tip - take the cable car down to the old port for $2.25)

The hotel itself is very European; they have done a lot with the size, and it doesn't feel too cramped. I've seen some of the reviews on here about the hotel being old and dirty. To clarify - old does not mean dirty! (have you ever been to Rome, Paris etc.?) old, yes - dirty, no... Travellers need to realise that if you want to stay in the old parts of an old city, then the buildings are going to be - voila - old! If you want to stay at the new hotels - then go downtown.

The staff were very friendly, in both French and English so no worries if you don't speak French. Breakfast can be a bit hectic as the room is small and gets very busy, and there is no restaurant in the evening (but being so close to lots of restaurants, why would you eat in the hotel?)

The rooms themselves were very nice and clean, with plenty of space. You could sometimes hear some noise from outside, but we were staying in the heart of the old town during festival week and besides - it was never an issue.

One issue is limited parking, so book your parking when you book your stay. We booked on Hotels.com and it didn't give us the option, so call ahead and book it otherwise you will need to park in a parkade, about 10 min walk away.

In summary - we really liked the hotel and would stay again (with booked parking!)

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be about the same, but if you need parking book it in advance!
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Fesh made breakfast foods including crepes and fresh local cheese. Walking distance for anywhere! We were there during Festival (10 stages, 300 acts including Bruno Mars, Rush, etc) with thousands and thousands of tourists. The hotel is about a block from the main street but there are no stores or restaurants next to it. In other words, it was quiet despite being less than a few minutes walking distance from where all the action was. The rooms are large, clean, and well kept and the service excellent. I see some reviews that the hotel was dirty etc? No clue when those people stayed as nothing could be further from the truth. Sitting area was bright and modern. Exterior was "historic" and not "dirty". If you want to be just a number in a room in a 10 storey hotel do not come. If you want "class" and warmth .... and always be greeted by friendly staff then reserve now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Louis K
Reviewed 9 July 2013

This is a very nice hotel, recently renovated and modern on the inside. The staff are very friendly and helpful. However, our h-twire rate room looks onto a wall, and directly into someone's apartment (probably to be expected at that rate?). Location is excellent, and parking is available if you phone ahead -- we didn't and the valet service was a quite reasonably-priced alternative. I would have given it 4 stars, but the beds are below what you would expect at that level -- ours was lumpy and you could feel the springs of the mattress. No really big deal, and I would return, but it is something they could work on. All in all, though grateful we did not repeat last years' Quebec City experience (see my 2012 Quebec hotel review!)

2  Thank bilzebub
Alexandre B, Responsable relations clients at Le Champlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Bonjour,

I want to thank you for your great comments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your experience at the Champlain hotel and I am happy that our hotel gives you a better experience in Quebec City. We strive to give the best experience as we can to our guests. Our staff team is always pleased to welcome guests and assist them.

I read that you reserved with Hotwire. It is important to remember that with the Hotwire last minute deal, the rooms provided are run of the house. When you reserved, we had only standard rooms available, which they do not have any view. If you want particular room types, we suggest to reserve directly with the hotel.

I am really sorry that the mattress was not comfortable. Presently we are making some change in our mattress and pillows top bed. I can guarantee you that for your next trip it will be better.

Again, I want to thank you for your review. We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We selected this hotel based on other Trip Advisor reviews. We were VERY disappointed. Hotel exterior is horrible and dirty - I hated to walk on the "Welcome" mat. Lobby and sitting area were also old and dirty. Carpets and upholstered furniture were were horrible... and dirty. Such a shame - there are so many beautiful hotels in Quebec.

Bonjour,

First, I would like to express our sincere apologies for the bad experience you had in our hotel.

At the Champlain hotel we strive to offer the best experience to our guests. Unfortunately, when I read your comments, I understood that from your point of view, it was not the case.

We talked with the housekeeping team to make a double effort to make sure that the lobby is correctly clean. In summer time the lobby is done twice a day and at night. However when the doors are open and construction undergoing nearby it is very difficult to keep out the dirt. We consider strongly the comments of our guests and we do everything to make sure that the bad situations will not happen again.

I would really like that you contact me at abtremblay@hotelsduvieuxquebec.com to know exactly why you founded the furniture horrible. Maybe with your suggestions, we will find a way to make it better.

Otherwise, you can be sure that we do everything to keep the rooms updated and comfortable. We want to give the best service and we learn about the bad experience to make sure that it will not happen again.

Again, I am really sorry for the bad experience you had and as I said, feel free to contact me; we really want to arrange the situation.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We enjoyed our 3-night stay at Le Champlain. It is in the heart of the Veiux-Quebec area, within walking distance of the sights and of the newer part of the city as well. The rooms are spacious and well furnished. Toiletries are from a dispenser in the shower, which is a bit of a drawback.

Breakfast is nice and varies during the week. Coffee & Espresso is from a machine and there can be a bit of a line at times.

Staff is friendly and knows the city well and can offer good recommendations.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert P

Bonjour,

I want to thank you for your great comments, it is truly appreciated.

I am glad to see that you enjoyed your long stay with us. At the Champlain hotel we strive to offer quality, comfort, cleanliness and service. Our staff team is always pleased to welcome guests and assist them.

The Old Quebec City is an amazing place to visit and our hotel is a great choice because we are located in the heart of the old upper part. Everything is near and you can walk everywhere.

Even if we are in the old part of Quebec, we have a recent building; for why we were able to have spacious and soundproof rooms. We try to have modern and ecological rooms. In every room, we have flat screen television, DVD player and free Wi-Fi. For the ecological part, we decided to place shower gel, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower and a soap dispenser next to the sink.

For us, your comments are important. If you want you can contact me abtremblay@hotelsduvieuxquebec.com to let me know why you founded the dispenser drawback. Like this we will probably find a way to make it more convenient.

Again, I want to thank you for your great review. We will be pleased to welcome you back.