“Friendly staff and a safe place to lay your head, but....”
Review of Hotel du Nord

Hotel du Nord
Ranked #75 of 100 Hotels in Quebec City
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Generally, I prefer to spend less on airfare and hotels and more on gifts, attractions, food, and things to do. I chose Hotel du Nord for many reasons, one of them including its cost. The rooms are clean and very fairly priced. The staff are mostly bilingual and very willing to help out.

The rooms are clean, but a tad bit smaller than more Queen sized bed rooms in the USA. The bathrooms and shower are small, also, but not so small as to cramp your ability to shower; I would not suggest taking a bath, though, unless you are a child. As you probably know, it can get very cold in Quebec City, Canada and when I was here it was around 4 degree FARENHEIT and the contrast between the warmth in my room and the coldness of outside would cause condensation to form on the windows and make big puddles on the windowsills.

Public transportation to downtown or "Old Quebec" is easy and very cheap; you literally just walk across the street to the bus and take it all the way down. That being said, it is time consuming and unless you have a car or money to burn on taxis I would stay closer to Old Quebec. If you have a car, feel free to stay here because parking is free and parking in Old Quebec is not that expensive.

The continental breakfast is more than adequate, with lots of coffee, orange juice, and milk. There are also waffles, various toasts, with caramel and maple syrups, and yoghurt. There's not much in the way of protein, but it tastes good.

One of the things I REALLY liked about this place was the sleep quality I could get. There were ample pillows and the hallways were quiet at night and in the morning. There were no honking horns in the middle of the night or noisy people walking the street, it was perfect for sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JamisonH

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a budget, b&b, in good conditions and a confortable room. Everything seems right but the breakfast room could be better. Someone could be in charge in place or more written signs would be welcome and useful. I recomend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EONIO
Reviewed 2 October 2012

It was difficult to get a true impression of this hotel from reading reviews, and I was not sure what to expect when we got to the hotel. Overall, I must say that despite a few disappointments, we ended up having a pretty pleasant stay.

Quebec City is a major tourist attraction, and there is a number of very respectable-looking, high-end hotels around the Old City, which would probably save us from paying a $22.50 per day in parking fees. However, these hotels seemed to be substantially more expensive than Hotel Du Nord, and thankfully, its room rate includes parking.

The hotel is a low-slung 3-story building, which, while does not have a "historic" look, probably dates quite a few years back - the building DOES NOT have elevators. Coming from the US, we were completely surprised by it, as I do not recall ever seeing a public building without barrier-free access, yet this was a recurring theme during this trip, a fact more noticeable to us since one of our traveling companions had a sore knee, and walking the stairs was a major undertaking for him.

The building's architecture is peculiar in a number of other ways. The rooms are oddly shaped, with strange corners, and proverbial nooks and crannies. Then there is a hallway, which in addition to being rather narrow (seems like only 3 feet wide, though I had not measured it), feels even narrower, as it follows a rather strange path - to get to our room, we had to make 10 turns.

We had a regular room, which was decorated rather plainly. It had two armchairs a coffee table, two ottomans, a queen-sized bed, and a night-table. There is no closet or a cupboard - the clothes rack was bolted on wall inside the room - no hiding your possessions from visitors, unless you keep them in the suitcase. There is a flat-screen TV on the wall, seems like 32" in size, which shows mostly French channels, but also some English ones, both from Canada and the US. The room has a window AC unit, which turned out to be rather noisy, but did not keep us from sleeping.

The bed was pretty comfortable, and quite clean. The bathroom was clean as well. To say that it was plainly decorated would be an exaggeration - it was mostly empty. There was shampoo and body wash in travel-size containers, both of which quite pleasant. The towels were thin, and showed their age, but clean. The toilet is a small round kind. The shower worked well, and had good water pressure; the water warmed up quickly.

We made a reservation through LateRooms.com, for two rooms,one for us, the other one for our companions. Although both of us had paid the same price, our companions were given a suite. The suite was large, with a separate bedroom, and a living room large enough to allow for a kitchenette with a fridge, small stove, and a sink, a table with 6 chairs, and an unfolding couch. In front of the couch there was a 40" TV, but the vinyl upholstery on the couch had a large rip in a very obvious spot. The bedroom did not have a TV, and there was only one AC unit - in the window of the big room. I can't imagine it adequately cooling the bedroom. In the colder months it would not be a concern, but as we were there at the end of August with the outside temperatures in the 90's (that's close to 30 C, if you think metric), a good AC unit is essential.

The hotel is easily accessed from the freeway, though it is in a rather sedate neighborhood. It took us about 10 minutes to drive to a public garage at the edge of the Upper Old Town. As I mentioned before, parking there is quite expensive, and although according to Google Maps we could have walked there in about an hour, we decided not to brave the heat and the sore knees, and drive instead. A note on the prices - we ended up paying about $140/night at the hotel, which was at least 40% cheaper than any of the large hotels close to the old town. When I was making a reservation, it appeared that almost all the hotels had very limited availability for the days we needed. However, walking around the Upper Old Town, we saw numerous signs of boutique hotels in converted Old Town buildings, advertising rooms for less than $90, I am curious why these did not show up in my searches - staying in Old Town would be a much preferred option, as it is withing a short walk to all the attractions, as well as some very nice restaurants in the area. I did find, however, that many hotels in the province of Quebec do not include things that I take for granted, like having private bathrooms - some room rates offer a "shared bathroom", so perhaps that was the reason.

The hotel include a "continental" breakfast - bagels with cream cheese, cereals, coffee, fruits. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even if some were not fluent in English. So all in all, this was a decent value for our trip. I noticed that a large number of hotel guests were French-speaking families, probably from elsewhere in the province. Some of them were no doubt drawn by the historical sites of Quebec, while others by the swimming pool in the basement of the hotel - while I did not see it, judging by the sounds I heard passing by, it had gotten quite a lot of use.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if going up the stairs is a problem, ask for a room on the main floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PickyBizTraveler
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We live in Washington DC and did a family road-trip through Canada this summer. Upon arriving in Quebec, we found the hotel, and I hopped out to check in. As I entered the lobby I though, "Hm, it sure is dark in here. Maybe that's the ambiance, but really, it's a bit much."
The front desk attendant greeted me and said the power was out due to a storm that passed through. She said we could cancel with no penalty, but when we went to look for other hotels nearby they were all much more expensive.

I had reserved the Hotel du Nord in park because of the parking, internet, and breakfast which were all included (and which add up for a family).
We discussed and decided to check in. When we went back the attendant recommended we not check in and said power was not expected to return until 8am, but she let my husband see our room, and confirmed that we would have water. We just wanted to sleep, so we unpacked and started showers. [Luckily, my handy husband and son had 3 flashlights between them, plus we all had our cell phones.] As soon as we all got cleaned up and ready for bed, the power came back on.

From there on, the hotel shone. Reception was very kind and helpful. Breakfast was standard breakfast buffet, but good. They even have an indoor pool. Which was chilly, but a nice evening break. The room was spacious enough for our family and clean (we were on the lower level).
Really though, the best draw for us was the value - parking, breakfast and internet included.
Plus, I actually liked the neighborhood St Vallier Ouest, not in the tourist center, but close enough, more of a real regular neighborhood in Quebec City. In the morning the horse drawn carriages that are heading into Old Quebec pass by while you are eating breakfast.

Room Tip: No elevator, so stay on the lower level if you don't like stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank djinna
Reviewed 14 September 2012

When we first arrived at the hotel, we weren't really very happy! It seemed to be far away from everything and not in the best part of town. However, our room was quite cozy and the bed was extremely comfortable. Our room was very small but we knew that upon arriving. It was a busy weekend in the city! The room had a flat screen tv and the wifi worked great! We didn't get to enjoy the free breakfast or the pool but both are there if needed. Overall, our stay ended up being quite lovely. We did decide to drive to the main area and walk from there but other than the location, everything at this hotel was good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This place is very basic with a kitchen. Decor is old, bathrooms are not up to date or anything. Worst of all, there is no elevator and we had to carry a lot of luggage (no bell boy, no trolley nothing) to the third floor at 1 am! Once we got there, the place feels literally like a maze! We had booked 2 rooms and they were far apart. Going from one to the other, we had to keep turning and turning weird angled corridor! It definitely had the feel of a maze. The sofa and leather chair had seen better days. On top of this, the front desk lady wanted me to pay extra $10 for my son to stay in the same room as us (even though there were two queen beds and we were only three in our room)! I love Quebec city but the hotels are a rip off in this place and this was the best I could find for paying $120 plus 14% tax per night!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed 1 night while traveling with a group visiting Quebec City, Canada. Front desk provided good service and were very helpful. If you are told this hotel is within walking distance to the old city...prepare for a long walk. Its about a 10 to 12 dollar cab ride to the old city, just in front of the wall. Rooms are small but clean. Bathroom is small as well, however it was clean. Small window ac unit, did a fairly good job at keeping room comfortable. There is a pool, however did not use this amenity. Continental breakfast the norm, pastry, muffins, toast, bagel, cereal and fruit. There are some restaurants in walking distance. While its a little pricey, this is the busy season, so that expected. Overall, nice hotel in Quebec City, Canada.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends