“Convenient and affordable”

Ranked #70 of 101 Hotels in Quebec City
Ottawa, Canada
“Convenient and affordable”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Old and rustic yet clean and comfortable. Our three rooms on main floor were large and quiet. One room had table with four chairs and one room had fridge. Free parking and small indoor pool appreciated. Breakfast was included, self serve, and basic. Stores close by, on bus route to old city, close to river. We liked the location. Would recommend for a budget hotel, though upstairs rooms can be smaller and there is no elevator.

Room Tip: No elevator. Ground floor rooms were spacious compared to some rooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Muriel B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I prefer to spend my money on food and sites; this was fine as an economy hotel. The hotel was clean, safe and the room was larger than I expected for the price. The staff were bilingual, helpful and very friendly. The breakfast was what you would expect in a budget hotel - but it got me going in the morning and I could seek out the perfect croissant later in the day. The neighborhood is "up and coming" and had some great little restaurants that the staff helped us find. It was an easy walk into "Old Quebec" (I was there in the summer - it may not be an easy walk in the winter) and several of the sites that I wanted to see were en route between the hotel and Old Quebec. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lizzy802
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This hotel was ok.. but I would never stay there again. We got placed in one of the basement rooms and it felt like a dungeon. Our power outlets wouldn't work so when we informed staff of it they said it was our fault. They were rude and disrespectful. The layout of the entire hotel is somewhat like a maze... just really didn't enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Taylor1990
Vanessa B, Gérant at Hotel du Nord, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Valued Client,
We apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. The rooms
in our Lower level are generally very comfortable. To that end we are up grading these
rooms with higher end furniture an more amenities,
As for your outlet problems ,all was resolved on the day of your complaint.
We pride ourselves on great service , friendly staff , clean rooms at a great rate next to the
old city.

Thank you hope you visit with us again.

Vanessa Begeron, Manager

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Québec
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Staff was friendly and helpful and bi-lingual was greatly appreciated. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only complaint is the lack of ventilation. It was incredibly muggy and uncomfortable in the room just from a shower.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Generally, I prefer to spend less on airfare and hotels and more on gifts, attractions, food, and things to do. I chose Hotel du Nord for many reasons, one of them including its cost. The rooms are clean and very fairly priced. The staff are mostly bilingual and very willing to help out.

The rooms are clean, but a tad bit smaller than more Queen sized bed rooms in the USA. The bathrooms and shower are small, also, but not so small as to cramp your ability to shower; I would not suggest taking a bath, though, unless you are a child. As you probably know, it can get very cold in Quebec City, Canada and when I was here it was around 4 degree FARENHEIT and the contrast between the warmth in my room and the coldness of outside would cause condensation to form on the windows and make big puddles on the windowsills.

Public transportation to downtown or "Old Quebec" is easy and very cheap; you literally just walk across the street to the bus and take it all the way down. That being said, it is time consuming and unless you have a car or money to burn on taxis I would stay closer to Old Quebec. If you have a car, feel free to stay here because parking is free and parking in Old Quebec is not that expensive.

The continental breakfast is more than adequate, with lots of coffee, orange juice, and milk. There are also waffles, various toasts, with caramel and maple syrups, and yoghurt. There's not much in the way of protein, but it tastes good.

One of the things I REALLY liked about this place was the sleep quality I could get. There were ample pillows and the hallways were quiet at night and in the morning. There were no honking horns in the middle of the night or noisy people walking the street, it was perfect for sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JamisonH
Belo Horizonte, MG
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This is a budget, b&b, in good conditions and a confortable room. Everything seems right but the breakfast room could be better. Someone could be in charge in place or more written signs would be welcome and useful. I recomend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EONIO
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 2 October 2012

It was difficult to get a true impression of this hotel from reading reviews, and I was not sure what to expect when we got to the hotel. Overall, I must say that despite a few disappointments, we ended up having a pretty pleasant stay.

Quebec City is a major tourist attraction, and there is a number of very respectable-looking, high-end hotels around the Old City, which would probably save us from paying a $22.50 per day in parking fees. However, these hotels seemed to be substantially more expensive than Hotel Du Nord, and thankfully, its room rate includes parking.

The hotel is a low-slung 3-story building, which, while does not have a "historic" look, probably dates quite a few years back - the building DOES NOT have elevators. Coming from the US, we were completely surprised by it, as I do not recall ever seeing a public building without barrier-free access, yet this was a recurring theme during this trip, a fact more noticeable to us since one of our traveling companions had a sore knee, and walking the stairs was a major undertaking for him.

The building's architecture is peculiar in a number of other ways. The rooms are oddly shaped, with strange corners, and proverbial nooks and crannies. Then there is a hallway, which in addition to being rather narrow (seems like only 3 feet wide, though I had not measured it), feels even narrower, as it follows a rather strange path - to get to our room, we had to make 10 turns.

We had a regular room, which was decorated rather plainly. It had two armchairs a coffee table, two ottomans, a queen-sized bed, and a night-table. There is no closet or a cupboard - the clothes rack was bolted on wall inside the room - no hiding your possessions from visitors, unless you keep them in the suitcase. There is a flat-screen TV on the wall, seems like 32" in size, which shows mostly French channels, but also some English ones, both from Canada and the US. The room has a window AC unit, which turned out to be rather noisy, but did not keep us from sleeping.

The bed was pretty comfortable, and quite clean. The bathroom was clean as well. To say that it was plainly decorated would be an exaggeration - it was mostly empty. There was shampoo and body wash in travel-size containers, both of which quite pleasant. The towels were thin, and showed their age, but clean. The toilet is a small round kind. The shower worked well, and had good water pressure; the water warmed up quickly.

We made a reservation through LateRooms.com, for two rooms,one for us, the other one for our companions. Although both of us had paid the same price, our companions were given a suite. The suite was large, with a separate bedroom, and a living room large enough to allow for a kitchenette with a fridge, small stove, and a sink, a table with 6 chairs, and an unfolding couch. In front of the couch there was a 40" TV, but the vinyl upholstery on the couch had a large rip in a very obvious spot. The bedroom did not have a TV, and there was only one AC unit - in the window of the big room. I can't imagine it adequately cooling the bedroom. In the colder months it would not be a concern, but as we were there at the end of August with the outside temperatures in the 90's (that's close to 30 C, if you think metric), a good AC unit is essential.

The hotel is easily accessed from the freeway, though it is in a rather sedate neighborhood. It took us about 10 minutes to drive to a public garage at the edge of the Upper Old Town. As I mentioned before, parking there is quite expensive, and although according to Google Maps we could have walked there in about an hour, we decided not to brave the heat and the sore knees, and drive instead. A note on the prices - we ended up paying about $140/night at the hotel, which was at least 40% cheaper than any of the large hotels close to the old town. When I was making a reservation, it appeared that almost all the hotels had very limited availability for the days we needed. However, walking around the Upper Old Town, we saw numerous signs of boutique hotels in converted Old Town buildings, advertising rooms for less than $90, I am curious why these did not show up in my searches - staying in Old Town would be a much preferred option, as it is withing a short walk to all the attractions, as well as some very nice restaurants in the area. I did find, however, that many hotels in the province of Quebec do not include things that I take for granted, like having private bathrooms - some room rates offer a "shared bathroom", so perhaps that was the reason.

The hotel include a "continental" breakfast - bagels with cream cheese, cereals, coffee, fruits. The staff were very friendly and helpful, even if some were not fluent in English. So all in all, this was a decent value for our trip. I noticed that a large number of hotel guests were French-speaking families, probably from elsewhere in the province. Some of them were no doubt drawn by the historical sites of Quebec, while others by the swimming pool in the basement of the hotel - while I did not see it, judging by the sounds I heard passing by, it had gotten quite a lot of use.

Room Tip: No elevator, so if going up the stairs is a problem, ask for a room on the main floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple