“charming, quiet, spacious, historic”
Review of A l'Augustine

A l'Augustine
Ranked #28 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I expected the noise and crowds since this was in Old Quebec and a short walk outside the wall. But it was a beautiful little oasis away from the crowds. The garden in the back was peaceful, the room was spacious and beautiful, and we had our own microwave and frig. Breakfast was great and i enjoyed meeting people from France, Switzerland, and New York City! a wonderful experience....thank you to the hostess!!

Room Tip: we had the lower level back side...nice!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank girlfromGeorgia

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Is it me, or is it difficult to find good, solid information about lodging (especially B&Bs) in QC? After spending several hours, sending a dozen emails and making a bunch of phone calls, I finally secured a room (full disclosure, it was a last minute reservation) at l'Augustine. Even after reviewing this site, several other websites, and the B&B's website (it is a TERRIBLE website! Do not base your decision on their website, look here on TA for accurate information), I had no idea what I was getting myself into. That said, I was pleasantly surprised. The building is a beautiful old stone structure decorated in a quaint, french style. Our small room was adequately equipped, clean, with a comfortable bed and a window looking out on the street. We had no issues sharing a bathroom with the other room on our floor. Caroline is a lovely hostess and her breakfasts are delicious. The location could not be better. I had a lot of hesitation booking outside of the walls, but in hindsight I'm EXTREMELY pleased that I did. It was right around the corner from a supermarket, cafes, bars, shopping, and is truly less than 5 minute walk to the gates of the Old City. We didn't have a car, didn't take the bus or rent bikes, and we didn't miss anything. If you are reasonably fit (for the sometimes steep hills), and you are okay with walking, you can cover the whole area of town on foot. The section of the Old City within the walls has a slight Disneyland feel to it, and I was relieved to not be staying in a hotel in that area. All of this said, there are some things you need to be aware of:
-this is a B&B, not a hotel. if you require constant attention, you need to find a full-service hotel.
-there is no air-conditioning in the rooms. This was fine for us as the nights were cool when we visited, but if the forecast indicates that nightly lows will be 70 degrees (F) or higher, you might consider looking for a place with AC. They do not advertise AC in the rooms, so don't go in the middle of July and then get angry if it's too warm to sleep.
-It is a lovely, charming, beautiful old home that has been well cared for. The floorboards squeak occasionally. It's not a big deal, but if you are ridiculously picky, you should not stay in a 200 year old home.
-there seems to be a lot of Quebecois and French people who stay here and if you only speak English, you might be the only people in the house with English as a first language. We found lovely native French and German speaking people who were happy to try out their English with us over breakfast, but remember, Quebec is French speaking, if you don't speak the language, don't expect to be included on all the conversation.
-Our room faced the street and on Monday morning (the only weeknight we were there) the street cleaners were out early (7:30am) and they were noisy. If you sleep late, I would recommend getting to bed early on Sunday night. It wasn't an issue on Friday or Saturday nights.

Thus, this B&B delivers on all points exactly as advertised, thus, 5 stars. For approximately $90 a night, this was a great, properly priced value for us.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a room that does not face the street if it's possible and if you sleep i...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bbFlys1
Reviewed 24 May 2012

A l'Augustine offered great value compared to other hotels in Old Town Quebec. It was a hard to find by car because of all of the small one way streets in the area. We were able to park for free on the Sunday we stayed and paid Caroline the hostess for the other day. It was a 5-10 minute walk to Old Quebec. A 'Augustine was decorated beautifully. The other reviewers are correct, the steps are quite steep. My husband and I had a queen room with a sliding wood door as well as one bathroom we shared with another couple.

One complaint was that it was extremely hot during our stay (highs in the 90s) and there was only air conditioning in the common areas in A l'Augustine so it was very hot in our room at night and difficult to sleep. The second night we ended up sleeping with our sliding door half open. We noticed the couple in the room next to us did the same.
Also, since the building is so old the floors did creak a lot and could be noisy when people were going up and down the stairs or talking.

The breakfast was delicious. Yogurt with dried fruit, crepes with maple syrup. We enjoyed the charm, location and breakfast of the B&B but we would probably stay at a hotel next time.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Monamacduff
Reviewed 21 December 2011

I stayed in early October. My room was on a floor with no other bedrooms and the bathroom was up a few stairs. Most of the building(s) were a series of compartments. on my 2nd room floor there was a full kitchen, table and chairs for reading...2 bedrooms upstairs from me. People were relaxed here; most of the clients appeared to be German and they took advantage of being able to take a break from restaurant meals and prices by putting their own supper together. There is a nearby grocery for stocking up.
I paid for parking and left my car to walk for the duration of my stay. Hint..when arriving, 1st park at the mini-lot on the corner before the b and b and make contact first...so you can arrange to have cars juggled if necessary. The parking cost goes to one of Caroline's causes helping needy in Morocco. The B and B is in the old town but outside the gates...I think the best way to go to the historic area is go up a couple of blocks to St Jean - this is a funky street for restaurants on both sides of the wall and while I was there in the early week, there was more happening close to the b and b than near the Frontenac. There is a bar (plus) there --just a few blocks uphill on St Jean ---where there are all kinds of music jams, etc with micro brews on tap..you get a taste of the youth culture here. When you cross the main drag to the walled city gate you go through an area called d'Youville...just beyond that square, there is a gorgeous art deco theatre and i was able to purchase tickets for the symphony from their office. The symphony hall was also in walking distance from the b and b and is a wonderful modern venue.
The most fun I had was just cruising up and down the alleys and streets. The cathedrals are well worth touring and if you're lucky you'll hear the organ or bell ringers. The fortress and the plains are a nice sojourn and near the end is the art gallery which also is worthwhile. The lower town near the water was elbow to elbow with cruise ship tourists and most of the shops were targeting them; I preferred the upper town.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank fisher_eye_lens
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We (2 couples) spent 2 nights with Caroline at A l'Augustine and found it to be an ideal location at a very good price.

PROS: Nice hostess who made you feel welcome; access to a covered patio area behind the house for afternoon wine/cheese; on-site parking (which we didn't need to use because Caroline helped us find on-street parking on our Saturday arrival); very good breakfasts; opportunity to escape the tourists and enjoy the 'neighborhood' feel

CON: Noise if your room is on the street side of the B&B

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Our room (back of house) was great. Our friends had a room over the street and found it to be noise...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I guess my head line says it all. We stayed here 2 nights last year and loved it so are planing another trip to Quebec city, and decided to return.

I really liked the fact that we had access to a kitchen with a market 2 streets up we stayed in one night and cooked a great meal and had wine before we walked to the old city to see it at night, so beautiful.
I would recomend this B&B to all who visit Quebe City.
We visited the shops near bye, walked every where, took a harbour cruise, you can walk to the harbour front and take a elevator type thing back up the hill for like 2.00 great to do instead of walking back up.
love this place, we are going back again in late Sept and staying here again.
lots of stairs though.

thanks Sue

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NovaScotiaShh
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Finding reasonably priced accommodation in Quebec city was really challenging, and i eventually decided on this B&B.

The location is great, as it's just outside the old walls near St Jean street, so lots of more local restaurants and cafes to eat at, rather than the very charming, but very touristy places, directly in the old city.

Though this B&B was good value for money in comparison to other options for Quebec, it was hard not to think of the money i was spending for just a room. (with all the taxes included, it came to almost $100 a night)

The bathrooms were shared, and i guess it's just luck who you end up having to share your bathrooms with, but the couple i had were in there for 2 hours straight, and one night they went to the bathroom every 5 mins until 2 am, as my room was directly next to the bathroom i simply couldn't go to sleep until they finished (showering, shaving, toileting, packing, god knows what they were doing and why at 2 am!!!!)

The house itself is a beautiful old restored house, and furnished to that style. It was immaculately cleaned everyday. The bed was very comfortable. There was no ceiling light in my room, all i had was a little bedside table light for the whole room, so i couldn't read at night time as the room was too dark.

The floor boards are very creaky, and the walls very thin, so i was kept awake a lot from the people on my floor.

There were no locks on the rooms, and the host Caroline just said everyone is very relaxed in her house and no need for locks, but it felt a bit akward knowing that none of my stuff was secure.

People were very relaxed... almost everyone left their bedroom doors wide open as they walked around getting ready for the day etc, all their personal stuff on show in the room.

This was my first B&B experience, so it took me a while to relax into the concept, it was all quite personal!

The breakfasts were fantastic, but apart from 1 other person, everyone spoke French only, so breakfasts were spent in uncomfortable silence most of the time, the other guests didn't even talk to each other.

The air conditioning units are not in the bedrooms, only in the communal hallways, and the host rarely turned them on. So with the heat wave and bedroom doors shut at night, it was uncomfortably stuffy.

A note to less able guests, the stairs are quite steep, and there's a lot of them, i really struggled to get my suitcase to the top floor where i was staying.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo