“Don't stay at the La Ripaille”
Review of La Ripaille

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quebec City
La Ripaille
Ranked #92 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
singapore
“Don't stay at the La Ripaille”
Reviewed 7 June 2008

don't stay at this hotel, we'd paid C$189 per night for the suites, which were less than one star quality, no check in desk, no restaurant, no lifts, crap service. eg. we'd wanted to leave one bag after check-out and was told there was no place to leave the bag, we persisted and they eventually relented and showed us an room for storage, we also asked to use a washroom and was told there was none and was directed to the tourist information centres toilet.

Stayed June 2008

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ottawa
Reviewed 20 February 2008

Do not ever book this hotel! My son and I had a reservation for Sat Feb 16th. The reservation was guaranteed for late arrival. When we arrived Saturday evening, the hotel was all locked up with the lights off - no one was there to receive us. The telephone numbers posted on the front door (local # & toll-free#) were both routed to a cell phone and the cell phone was turned off!! We were left completely stranded. Hard to imagine that a hotel merchant, with winter carnival underway at a peak tourism time in QC, would treat their customers in this most unacceptable fashion. We headed up to the Clarendon Hotel (this hotel I would highly recommend) and the night clerk, shocked at the way we were just treated, made every effort to find us alternate accommodations. With it being the last weekend of winter carnival in QC, everything was fully-booked. We had no choice but to return to the Quebec City train station so the hotel clerk at the Clarendon called us a taxi, determined that the next train departing QC was 7am the next morning so with my son in tow back we went to the train station and spent the night there! Thankfully the security guard at the train station took pity on us and allowed us to spend the night. Can you imagine my fear as a parent given this situation? Before boarding the train (6:55am), I called the Auberge La Ripaille and remarkably the cell phone was answered. The merchant basically told me it was my fault that things didn't work out and that I should have called the numbers posted on the door. When I told her everyone in QC tried calling the numbers but the cell phone was turned off, she hung up on me. Haggard and weary, we returned home at 7am on Sunday morning and on the following Tuesday I was again shocked to discover that the Auberge La Ripaille actually charged my credit card one night's stay as if we were a no-show! In light of the above, my credit card company is disputing the charge and letters of complaint have been sent to the Auberge, Quebec Tourism and the Quebec BBB in the hopes that this does not happen again to future travelers. Needless to say, our first trip to Quebec City to take in winter carnival was a disaster. Take heed and do not book here!

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Delta_Dawn_45

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

canada
Reviewed 18 February 2008

NEVER go to this cheap 2 star student-like rooms in the heart of Quebec City. Overpriced at 140$ on the carnaval w-end. Owners are rude and not flexible. The rooms are nothing like frenchy old quebec city vibe. Beds are uncomfortable, rooms are not soundproof.
RATHER GO to Hotel Clarendon 124$ to 164$ 4 stars where they have the oldest restaurant in Canada.

• Liked — the location but there are plenty others that are well located !!!
  • Disliked — everything else, horrible quality/price ratio, owners
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
NYC
Reviewed 9 July 2006

I recently stayed at La Ripaille in Quebec City and it was a nightmare. When making my reservations, I was told that if I came after 8pm, I'd have to deactivate the alarm by using a code. To avoid any potential problems, I made special efforts to come early at 6pm. Unfortunately, no one was there. The code worked, thankfully, but there was no one to welcome us and no one to help us with parking (there is no parking available in front of the inn). We were happy enough to have gotten in the building, but when we entered our rooms, we had further disappointments. We were given the two rooms on the 4th floor (no elevator), which was strange because there was apparently no one else in the building, except for the person who seems to live in “hotel room” #5. The rooms were cramped and without style. The air conditioning did not work and, when we wanted to leave, we spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to lock the doors (again, something the receptionist would have been able to help us with had she been there). All that waited us in the room was a letter to come to the receptionist at 11am to sign in. The boutique that is attached to the inn opens at 11, not earlier, so she effectively gave us an “appointment” to keep on our vacation. When asked about the strange schedule they seem to work by, the manager replied “Well, if you work over 100 hours per week, you need some rest for yourself!” On La Ripaille's website, it is stated that “You will be treated with a hastened, cordial service in a warm and relaxed atmosphere,” something which is a flat-out lie.

• Stayed July 2006