“A nice weekend stay :)”

Ranked #36 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“A nice weekend stay :)”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Please, take this review with a grain of salt - it was my girlfriend and my first trip of this sort, so we have nothing to compare against. Wanted to give it 4.5/5 but that wasn't an option, so I rounded up.

Spent three nights in Au Petit Roi near the start of September. When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by Khalid, one of the two owners (we never did meet his wife). He took some time and explained areas of Quebec City to us and gave us a walking map. He was impressed that we had walked all the way from the train station. He then took us up to our room and helped carry our luggage. So, points for hospitality.

Location was excellent. It was on a nice, quiet street (except sometimes kids yelling outside, but no big deal). Was a short walk to anywhere. My girlfriend and I love walking (although I must admit, Quebec City was able to tire us out by the end of the weekend!) so it was perfect for us. I cannot imagine driving around there though, but that goes for the whole city - not just the inn. Now, for those reviews I've seen complaining that the rooms are up a lot of stairs: I may be biased (my apartment at home is on a third floor with only stairs as access)... but really, if you don't like stairs, then don't go to Quebec City. The whole city is stairs and steep uphills. Seriously. Even the last uphill road TO the inn is worse than the stairs in the inn. They are the least of your concern.

The room (we stayed in the "Royal Suite") was beautiful and clean. The shower and bathroom were lovely. (note: bring your own shampoo, soap, etc.) Bed was comfy even when we were sore from walking all day. The air conditioner had a remote control and was essential the first night we were there (the temperature dropped like 15 degrees the next day!) My only complaints were (and this is why I wanted to give only 4.5 stars): 1) One of the panes on the windows didn't stay closed, so the apartment was freezing when we got home on the second day. I ended up propping it closed with my backpack. 2) The bathroom door made an awful loud sound when you opened it, wasn't a huge deal but would be irritating if you were using the bathroom overnight. 3) The wireless signal barely, if at all, reached the floor our room was on. This would be easily rectified by installing a rangebooster router in the common room.

Breakfast was phenomenal. I guess if you require meat for breakfast, you wouldn't like. I love meat but barely ever have it for breakfast, so I was happy. Breakfast is served from 8-10:30. Khalid started us off with a delicious yogurt bowl and fruit juice every day, then gave a second dish (one day it was french toast with chocolate, another it was a boiled egg and fresh croissant.) mmmm. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but the coffee was the best I've ever had. I put no milk or sugar in it and it was nice and smooth. It was fun eating with the other residents, but most of them spoke only French, so it was a little awkward. Khalid tried to help though, he would come and talk in both languages (he says his English is horrible, but we found it great!) A previous review said he would just sit on his computer during breakfast; yes, he was working often on his laptop, but he was also completely social for us, and chatted when we approached him. On our last day, we had to leave at 7am to catch a train - Khalid left us juice, yogurt and a muffin in the common room fridge so we'd have something to eat before we left! I thought that was a very nice touch.

Overall, would definitely stay there again, and recommend it to others looking for a quieter place to stay. Sorry if my review was too wordy - have never written one before! I would be happy to answer any questions if they were sent my way :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BanjoCam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
delta bc canada
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were disappointed in this accommodations after having had great experiences in Ottawa and Montreal.
This is on the edge of old Quebec City. Walkable to most of the tourist sites. Laundry about a 15 minute walk away.
The building was an old row house that the owner operates with another family member. He was always rushed and when serving breakfast spent his time at the computer not engaging with guests.
the room we had was upstairs and it was okay with a sink in it. The bed made a clunking sound whenever my husband rolled over. We were not sure it was going to hold up.
The washroom was deplorable! I made sure to wear my fllip flops in the shower.
Food was okay but the operator was not able to accommodate a lactose free diet.

Room Tip: There are two suites in the bed and breakfast that have their own bathrooms. These appeared to be in...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gen3van
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We could not have chosen a better place to spend our time in Quebec. Not only were we very close to everything that we wanted to go to, but the food was delicious, room was excellent, and hospitality was outstanding. The common area was wonderful, and we were able to make our lunch/dinner in a lovely spot every day. The guest were all incredibly nice and we met the most generous people. We are so grateful to have stayed at the best place in the city. We have only nice things to say about our experience here and we hope to visit again!
Thank you to Khalid and Karima for everything!

Room Tip: Every room that I saw was beautiful and had a great location. The second floor has the common area w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This is a beautiful B&B with lots of great furniture and decorations from Morocco. We were so inspired that we ended up going to Morocco. We did definitely have a taste of Moroco at this place. The rooms were comfortable except when we went, the air conditioner was not working so we were piping hot as our rooms were also located at the very top. The breakfast was wonderful too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 8achan
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Wonderful welcome from the big boss (Owner) of this B&B. Extremely helpful and always present if you need him so just close your eyes and everything will run smoothly in this B&B. Really nice stay in the room, everything is present. Excellent wifi connection and believe me it is really important.
For the car park, the owner is here to park it for you so what else as said Georges Clooney? One advise, keep some cash money to pay your room during the checking out and do not forget these funny taxes in Quebec (TPS and TVQ) ;-) the only province in Canada where we have to pay taxes on taxes, incredible ;-)

Room Tip: Just book the suite 2nd floor, wonderful room with a huge bathroom made for a soccer team ;-)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank mbaufir78
new vineyard maine
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I would recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone who would like a comfortable, safe, clean place to stay in Quebec City. The owner was polite and helpful, the room was clean and attractive, and the breakfast was excellent. We very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank paula s
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 7 October 2011

We just returned from two nights at the charming Au Petit Roi, and were very happy with our experience. We stayed in the Royal Suite, which was comfortable and full of character. It was exactly as pictured in the photos on their website. The en suite bathroom was spacious and clean (as was the entire suite) and the bed was firm yet comfortable.

The B&B is perfectly located, just a short walk from Vieux Quebec. Close enough to walk anywhere you want to go within a few minutes, yet far enough away to be a peaceful respite after a day of walking and touring. There are tons of restaurants and interesting shops just a block away on Rue St. Jean.

The breakfasts were probably our least favorite part of our stay. No crepes or french toast while we were there, just very simple eggs with breads. The yogurt, fruit, and juice were delicious, though.

In all, a great value in a wonderful location!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple