“Comfortable, clean, and a great location.”
Review of B&B Au Petit Roi

B&B Au Petit Roi
Ranked #34 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Comfortable, clean, and a great location.”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Our host made every effort to ensure we had a wonderful stay. Parking is a bit tight, but he was there to direct me. We got some great suggestions for some free things to do and some local restaurants - the one we tried from his list was a hit. Our room was spacious and comfortable, We had the main floor suite where the only down-side is hearing people coming and going through the front door and at breakfast. It is a reasonable walk to the centre of Old Quebec. We are very happy with our stay and don't hesitate in recommending this B&B to others.

The breakfast is a fixed meal that differs from day to day. A yogurt and fruit plate starts the meal. The second course was the part that differed: eggs one day crepes the next. there was lots of bread, bagels, and jam for those with a bigger appetite. Top marks for providing a good strong coffee!

A couple of words of warning: if you bring your car, you'll need to leave your keys so the host can move cars as guests come and go. Our host had our car on the street & ready to go when we checked out. Also, bring cash or debit to pay your bill.

To get the 5/5 it would have been nice to have free parking, a slightly better value, Still, this is a highly recommended B&B.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank iav8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I am evelyn from New York, I spent one of the best 3 days in my life in Quebec City and ESPECIALLY in the B&B AU PETIT ROI which I recommend to everyone who wants a beautiful and cozy and peacefull and CLEAN place to stay with family or in a couple.
our host khalid was very friendly and very helpful with tips where to go and where to eat. the breakfasts were soooooooooooooooo DELICIOUS and the location of this B&B is just great.....

I am looking forward to my next visit .....

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank evelyn b
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 November 2012

The B&B Au Petit Roi is located on a narrow little one-way street a few blocks from Rue St-Jean. While I was initially looking for a place inside the walls, which I thought would be more convenient to the things I wanted to see, I was glad I ended up where I did -- this little street looked like a place where locals actually lived, as opposed to the old city which, while lovely, seemed to me like a tourist set piece. Rue St-Jean is a short walk away and had lots of great restaurants and shops, and the old city was only about a 10-minute walk. (I loved the vegetarian cafeteria, Le Commensal, on St-Jean.)

The host was friendly and offered a map with some restaurant suggestions before leading me upstairs to my room, #1. This is a historic house and the room was charming -- wood floors, an old-fashioned radiator, wallpaper with yellow roses and a four-poster bed. (One note: Old houses tend to have thin walls and creaky floors, so I did hear my neighbors on occasion.) There's a sink in the room, but the large shared bath is across the hall. I never had any problem getting into the bathroom when I wanted to use it. Next to that is a common room with a TV, coffee/tea, window seats, tables/chairs, etc. Right outside the room is a fridge for guest goodies.

I very much enjoyed my stay overall, but I rate this place a 4 instead of a 5 for two reasons: the breakfasts were just okay (not up to the standard of other B&B's I've stayed in), and they only accept cash. Otherwise I thought it was great value and a good location if you want to be a little outside the touristy part of the city.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank soliteyah
tokyo
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Yuku from Japan, sorry for my poor english but my experience at the B&B AU PETIT ROI was rich and great, the host was so helpful with a warm smile, and an excepetionnel and delicious breakfast never had along our trip in canada.The room, bathroom were cozy, very clean and a nice decoration.Realy, it was a great chance to get a room in this B&B and met , Khalid, a very kind host and we enjoyed our conversation with him...specialy about martial art, he used to practice Karaté for a long years.....be cool with him..hihihi.
We recommeneded this B&B to everybody looking to enjoy his stay in Old-Quebec

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2012

It was a spur of the moment decision and we couldn't have done better! Very accommodating considering the limited parking space (the owner offered to move our car), friendly, and welcoming! Wonderful uniquely styled rooms that really bring a touch of care, personality (North African decor) and beauty. Not only was the owner friendly and talkative right off the bat but he also gave us convenient (and delicious!) recommendations for dinner options just minutes away from the B&B. Other qualities worth mentioning: spacious rooms, great breakfast choice, central location and nice guests for breakfast chit-chat.

We had a lovely time and only wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sacha C
Ottawa
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Please, take this review with a grain of salt - it was my girlfriend and my first trip of this sort, so we have nothing to compare against. Wanted to give it 4.5/5 but that wasn't an option, so I rounded up.

Spent three nights in Au Petit Roi near the start of September. When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by Khalid, one of the two owners (we never did meet his wife). He took some time and explained areas of Quebec City to us and gave us a walking map. He was impressed that we had walked all the way from the train station. He then took us up to our room and helped carry our luggage. So, points for hospitality.

Location was excellent. It was on a nice, quiet street (except sometimes kids yelling outside, but no big deal). Was a short walk to anywhere. My girlfriend and I love walking (although I must admit, Quebec City was able to tire us out by the end of the weekend!) so it was perfect for us. I cannot imagine driving around there though, but that goes for the whole city - not just the inn. Now, for those reviews I've seen complaining that the rooms are up a lot of stairs: I may be biased (my apartment at home is on a third floor with only stairs as access)... but really, if you don't like stairs, then don't go to Quebec City. The whole city is stairs and steep uphills. Seriously. Even the last uphill road TO the inn is worse than the stairs in the inn. They are the least of your concern.

The room (we stayed in the "Royal Suite") was beautiful and clean. The shower and bathroom were lovely. (note: bring your own shampoo, soap, etc.) Bed was comfy even when we were sore from walking all day. The air conditioner had a remote control and was essential the first night we were there (the temperature dropped like 15 degrees the next day!) My only complaints were (and this is why I wanted to give only 4.5 stars): 1) One of the panes on the windows didn't stay closed, so the apartment was freezing when we got home on the second day. I ended up propping it closed with my backpack. 2) The bathroom door made an awful loud sound when you opened it, wasn't a huge deal but would be irritating if you were using the bathroom overnight. 3) The wireless signal barely, if at all, reached the floor our room was on. This would be easily rectified by installing a rangebooster router in the common room.

Breakfast was phenomenal. I guess if you require meat for breakfast, you wouldn't like. I love meat but barely ever have it for breakfast, so I was happy. Breakfast is served from 8-10:30. Khalid started us off with a delicious yogurt bowl and fruit juice every day, then gave a second dish (one day it was french toast with chocolate, another it was a boiled egg and fresh croissant.) mmmm. I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but the coffee was the best I've ever had. I put no milk or sugar in it and it was nice and smooth. It was fun eating with the other residents, but most of them spoke only French, so it was a little awkward. Khalid tried to help though, he would come and talk in both languages (he says his English is horrible, but we found it great!) A previous review said he would just sit on his computer during breakfast; yes, he was working often on his laptop, but he was also completely social for us, and chatted when we approached him. On our last day, we had to leave at 7am to catch a train - Khalid left us juice, yogurt and a muffin in the common room fridge so we'd have something to eat before we left! I thought that was a very nice touch.

Overall, would definitely stay there again, and recommend it to others looking for a quieter place to stay. Sorry if my review was too wordy - have never written one before! I would be happy to answer any questions if they were sent my way :)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BanjoCam
delta bc canada
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were disappointed in this accommodations after having had great experiences in Ottawa and Montreal.
This is on the edge of old Quebec City. Walkable to most of the tourist sites. Laundry about a 15 minute walk away.
The building was an old row house that the owner operates with another family member. He was always rushed and when serving breakfast spent his time at the computer not engaging with guests.
the room we had was upstairs and it was okay with a sink in it. The bed made a clunking sound whenever my husband rolled over. We were not sure it was going to hold up.
The washroom was deplorable! I made sure to wear my fllip flops in the shower.
Food was okay but the operator was not able to accommodate a lactose free diet.

Room Tip: There are two suites in the bed and breakfast that have their own bathrooms. These appeared to be in...