“Great location but insects in rooms?”

and 1 more site!
Residence de la Cite
Ranked #109 of 119 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great location but insects in rooms?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2011

We rented a room for 5 nights in December 2010 because of the great location of the Residence de la Cite. The room itself and the service was ok. Nothing great but nothing to really complain about.

The thing is, both me and my wife were bitten on our arms and legs by some kind of insects while we were asleep on the fifth night. We both had terrible red marks on our skin when we woke up. We discussed the situation with the person that was at the reception when we checked out. She gave us a small discount.

We didn't want to escalate the situation any more because we had a relatively good stay for 4 of our 5 nights. But I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay there if they don't want the same thing to happen to them.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

Just got back from Quebec and needed a value for money room for 2 nights mainly because we were leaving at 4am to catch a flight home so did'nt want to spend on an expensive hotel room we were not going to get the benefit of using. Hence this place came up on hotels.com and the price was to say the least cheap.

We read all the reviews and took a view that if you ignore the worst then this place may be worth a risk for the money. Its certainly seems to have divided opinion so thought our findings may be helpful to others attracted by the price.

We arrived by train mid morning and left our bags at the station and did some sight seeing before trying our luck to see if the room was available about 1.30pm. Train station about 1km from hotel about 15 mins walk. The first impressions were good and an excellent location in the new town literally a stones throw from Hotel Pue, Best Western and the Royal King William. It is in a little side street accessed from Rue Saint-Joseph with shops, cafes and restaurants all around. Its a bit grundgy with lots of students but felt safe and even when we left at 4am it was fairly quiet. Our room was at the front and yet we slept ok both nights after a good meal. The old town is about 10 minutes walk up the hill which is not a problem for us but if you do not like walking then Quebec may not be for you anyway as the place is one big hill this area is just right at the bottom rather than half way up where the Marriott and Hilton are situated within the old town. Plenty of cafes for breakfast we find Coras around the corner opposite Starbucks which was fine.

When we arrived the front door was open and we walked into the foyer but the office was all locked up. We had read that the keys were sometimes left in the mailboxes in the front hallway - we took some photos to help others but within box 100 were envelopes with our key. I assume the management take this security risk and its worth bearing in mind that the building is unattended during parts of the day but is open however we had no problems. Its locked after 6pm I think.

We took the lift to the 1st floor, held our breath and entered the room. We found a small studio apartment, wooden floor, tiny kitchenette, small tv, standard double bed, cupboard, table and chairs and separate small bathroom with shower. See photos. It was clean, not 5 star obviously but for somewhere to sleep for a short stay it was fine. In the photo of the front door we have taken its actually the window above so is fairly open to the street but has blinds to block most of the view for the passers by. This worried us a bit but again we had no problems. Free wi-fi network available within the hotel and was fast.

Apartment had heating controls and an aircon unit set into the window. Thats about all there is to it - no service and we did speak to one person in the office to ask about taxis and they spoke very little English but with our very little french we got by. There was a manager sitting in the office in the afternoon we spotted couple of times but we actually did not need anything and that is the story here it is a cheap value for money well located studio apartment with only basic service at limited times. That was actually fine for us but maybe not everyones cup of tea but for the money we paid it is hard to be too critical.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We booked the hotel for 1 month stay in Quebec City, based on price (reasonable) and location. The initial emails and phone calls were answered professionally by the manager Mr. Grenon.

When we arrived, he asked to pay in cash although he has asked for my AMEX # when I book to secure the reservation. We checked into the unit ourselves and the unit was very dusty. The bathroom and toilet was not cleaned. Because we have been driving for 8 hours, we took a shower and slept.

The next morning, my husband noticed a bug on the chair. It turns out to be a BED BUG with fresh blood. We did not experience any rashes but found more bed bugs with fresh blood on the sheet. When we looked around, there are more under the bed and the bed side cabinet. We called the manager right away and he showed up at 8 pm. In the meanwhile, we packed our suitcases and brought them to the car. We tried to call the number posted in front of the office but the person who answered the phone said that "this is not an emergency and unless the building is on fire, do not call this number".

The manager offered us a bigger unit. We went in and it looked much cleaner than the first so we took it.

On the 6th day, I was bitten badly by bed bugs. Apparently, depends on your immune system, the bites may not 'attack' you right away. I guess I was tired after one week sightseeing and the Bed Bugs got me.

You may never know how miserable it is unless you have been bitten so beware. We called the manager again and said we need to check out. He never responded until I called him the next morning. We did not sleep the whole night.

He said he left an envelope in the office and the maid will give us our money. When I opened the envelope, it was $200 short. The maid saw it and we called him from the office. He said he will mail the rest of the money.

One month has passed and the check did not arrived When I called he made up all this excuses about the owner is on vacation etc. He also told us the the monthly parking will cost $100 but it costs $150. This is also the money that we cannot get back.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. If you don't believe me, walk in and you can smell the bed bug. Bed bug infestation is a serious matter and it can get into your clothes and your luggage and you can bring them home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LondonTravelerON

Travellers are raving about these Quebec City hotels

Devon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

Touring Canada. Pre-booked this hotel on the internet.
No reception when we arrived - we had to phone a number and it took 15-20 minutes for someone to come.
They had no record of our booking but did find a room for us. (It was more like a spare room in a block of flats than a hotel)
Unfortunately the beds had not been changed - we eventually found some linen and changed them ourselves as the "reception" person had already left.
All in all not a good experience
There was no one to complain to at the "reception office" at any time during our 2 days stay

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

We needed a place to stay for a month, after we were relocated to QC, until we found an apartment to live in, so we picked this place. After a 12 hour drive (with 2 cats!) to get there, and calling ahead to tell them when we'd arrive, no one was there to let us in. She arrived fairly soon though. We searched and searched for somewhere to park, and in the end, had to wake up every morning at 6am to pre-pay for the days parking at a lot at the end of a block. $12 a day! The guy told me there were lots of places to park nearby. Yuh-huh.

The room was small. Would be fine for someone/or a couple staying up to a week, but 2 people + 2cats for a month!? NOooo. It was one 'large' room, with a bed, tv on a coffee table, small 2 person table and chairs (we moved this and turned it into a desk for our computers), and an armoire. There's a small kitchen with a fridge and stove.

Don't expect to get there and be able to call someone, or have people call you. There's no phones in the suites, and they're not available. There's a jack for internet though, and sometimes you can find a wireless connection to leech off of for a little bit.

The bathroom was SO cramped. The bathtub faucet would sloooowly rotate back to COLD while you're having a shower, so you're constantly adjusting it.

Lots of noise in the hallways when people are coming and going, but otherwise, not bad.

I believe there's only one laundry room (coin-op), on the top floor. But no one was ever using it, so I never had to wait.

No one ever came to clean (not sure if they were supposed to or not). We threw our dirty towels and sheets in a bag left in the hall some days, and took new ones from the cart also left in the hall. The cart also was equipped with a stock of soaps, cleaners, toilet paper, garbage bags, etc. I assumed that these were just there to help yourself to if you needed to, so I did.

There's a Metro grocery store a few blocks away, and an Inter-Marche even closer, but more expensive and less selection.

I thought the location was pretty good. According to my RCMP friend, it was a BAD area, but I never really saw anything bad, other than a couple crazys on the sidewalk and a drunk guy passed out in a doorway.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank getmeouttaAB
italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

So I wrote to the Residence manager from Italy, asking if he had a room, and I got really fast an Answer, really friendly, and with the answers to all my questions.
So, I booked this Room.
I arrived in Québec, at the Bus Station, and I had printed the map from the Residence de la cité's homepage, so I started walking, and I have to say, that it is really easy to find.
As I arrived, the manager, was waiting for me, really friendly, he consigned me the room key, and was there for any problem.
The room, was really clean, warm and friendly, I think it's been renowed a few months ago.
The room is more a Studio, with a own kitchen, bathroom, tv, sofa, table, chairs, and anything what you need.
Laundry is easy to do, because every floor has got a own laundry room.
Almost everyday, ther's a woman who works here, she's really friendly, and she's there for any wish.
This Residence, is near to the city centre, near to it you can find a market, a library, pharmacie, restaurants shop's ect.
The most important busses in QC, are at 1 Min from the residences front door.
The nice thing here, is you can feel indipendent, but with almost all hotel comforts.
I can just say, It's the best solution, if you want to have youre one appartment in the heart of Québec.
I think this residence is perfect for long or short permanences.

Really good!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

There was some initial confusion when we arrived early (2 hrs before check-in) and the place seemed like an apartment building—no front desk, no one around. But we called the manager and he arrived within 30 minutes with our room key.

It is a small, owner-run place but like having your own little studio apartment in the city. Outside the walls and in what seems to be a hip, up-and-coming neighborhood. Very clean, with a kitchenette, and bright all-Ikea decor.

Pros: Nice location away from touristy craziness but within walking distance of many restaurants and bars, plus everything inside the walls and of St-Jean Baptiste. Great price. Quiet.

Cons: fresh paint smell a bit overwhelming, towel rack in the bathroom wasn't attached (lying on the floor), no a/c, no view.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple