“Great Québécois food!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
“Great Québécois food!!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The food is really traditional québécois. I tried the meat pie with freshly made fruit sauce and poutine for appetizers; Traditional Quebec stew and the Three Tenderloin (bison, deer, wapiti) for main; and the Taster for desert.

Definitely worth going if you would like some traditional Quebec food and especially recommended if it's your first time in Quebec City. I had no problem ordering in English. Although the service is a bit slow due to the limited number of bilingual servers.

Recommended dish:
Appetizer: Meat pie
Main: The Three Tenderloin (deer, bison, wapiti)
Dessert: Maple syrup pie with unsweetened whipped cream

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
“Delicious but a bit spotty”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The atmosphere of this restaurant is lovely and casual -- it's one of the oldest restaurants in Quebec City, and has an extremely varied menu for meat-lovers.

I'm pescatarian so I went with the salmon, which was good, but my favorite dish was the escargot, which were outstanding. I hated escargot the first time I tried them, so Aux Anciens Canadiens redeemed them for me. Not slimy at all, but flavorful and substantial with a delicious sauce. The pea soup was kind of blah, and a turkey dish that my dad ordered was just okay, but my mom loved the meat pie.

Service was great and it was an all-around good meal. Just for atmospheric reasons, I'd love to eat here when it's cold and snowing outside.

Visited July 2014
Medicine Hat, Canada
“Marvellous Lunch and very Reasonable!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Mark this place down for an extraordinary québécois lunch. For $19.95 you will enjoy wine/beer, homemade vegetable or pea soup, chef special ( our day was pork medallions in a creamy mustard sauce, creamy mashed potatoes, turnip, broccoli) or tourtière with roasted potatoes, fruit chutney, turnip and broccoli. To conclude you can enjoy one of three dessert choices. We choice maple syrup pie. It was served warm with whipped cream. What a wonderful meal! Everything was so flavourful! The evening choices are substantially more expensive. The service was excellent. Lots of customers were choosing lots of other options and enjoying their meals as well. Parfait!

1 Thank RalphandVal
Kitchener, Canada
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This quaint 18th century cottage is the real deal. We went for supper and had the St. Jean meat pie (5 meats - deer, elk, caribou, beef and pork if I recall correctly). One price of $21.99 included the soup (french split pea) and a glass of beer or wine and fresh bread basket. A great deal and the meal was superb. The meat pie was served with turnip and crisp baby green beans and a delicious fruit chutney. The service was top of the line - helpful, attentive and friendly. My mate had the chefs special of salmon with lobster sauce and said it was perfect. For dessert we shared the maple sugar pie and it was the perfect ending to a wonderful meal. Im so glad we had this experience. We didnt have reservations but it was a Monday night so we were lucky. Make reservations so you wont be disappointed. Viva le Quebec!

• Visited July 2014
Tucson
“As great as I hoped it would be!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Pre-5:30 is the time to go. It is quite affordable and the portions are more than filling. Service wonderful. Everything we had to eat was to notch. Caribou and boar rillettes... If it is available, get it. Absolutely wonderful. Look forward to a return visit!

1 Thank Scott E