“Really good value for money!”
Review of Cafe St-Malo

Cafe St-Malo
Ranked #59 of 1,528 Restaurants in Quebec City
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We chose this restaurant after initially going into another restaurant, viewing the menu and deciding against it. So we headed to St. Malo instead. Glad we did! Inside the restaurant feels like a small resturant off the beaten track you would find in Paris. The service itself was attentive and friendly as well. Looking at the menu we both got the table d'hote. Soup and a main it included. I chose the Deer Ravoli and my mum chose the Duck Salad. The soup to start was nice and light, refreshing and fresh. The mains themselves were very good value for money. Great sized portions, full of flavour, presented beautifully for a lunch menu. I have to say I tasted a bit of the Duck salad and it was even more delicious then my dish. It came with a whole duck leg as well. As I say, very good value for money ($13 for soup and the dish). My dish was delicious as well, but a tad bit to much sauce personally speaking, for many it would be fine however. This restaurant has definite repeatability.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I really enjoyed this restaurant when I've been there last week with an incredible promotion. The fish broth was stunning and the soup was correct. My girlfriend had a duck confit which was great for the price. The only negative aspect is the sides included in the main course, which were not delicate enough for a dish of this quality. Fries and a simple salad are not right to fit a duck confit in my opinion. I personally had the black boudin with apples, which was excellent. The sides were disappointing, but eatable. For dessert we had a sugar pie which was great and an apple pie which was disappointing, cold and made with no particular attention.The ambiance of the restaurant was great, I would recommend this place for the ambiance, the service and the food, which was great at the price we've paid. It's a good try for any tourists who are searching for a place that is not a tourist trap and that is close to the main old Quebec hotels.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited St Malo in mid-March, 2014, Saturday night dinner. We had reservations, and that was good, as many others were turned away at the door.

We've visited Quebec yearly or more often for the past 15 years, always eating at a good restaurant at least once during our visit. We've hit many of the top ones, Saint-Amour, Le Patriarche, Conti Caffe... but this is our new favorite. Many of the the other high-end options are noveau cusine, much emphasis on the 'art as food' aspect, but this is not... this is old-school great French cuisine.

I won't belabor this, as many other have critiqued the rabbit and oso buco dishes (our entres), which were wonderful. But I did want to mention the 'warm goat cheese salad', a ridiculous understatement for what was easily the best salad I've ever eaten. My wife and I split it, and we could have shared it with guests... it was huge, but also incredible. Just try it, you won't regret it.

Finally, as others have stated... this was an almost 3-hour evening. Don't be in a hurry, and enjoy! 4 people are working there... 2 on the dining floor, 1 cook, 1 dishwasher guy. How one guy can cook all this food astounds me. But our next visit to QC, we're going back to this one.

Almost forgot - we drank the house red wine (very good, and very nicely priced), and our total bill was about 2/3 the bill of any other 'nice restaurant' in the area that we've been to. That made it even nicer! As I said earlier, this is our new favorite.

1  Thank mainester
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We chose Cafe St-Malo for our first dinner in Old Quebec. The atmosphere was very relaxed, comfortable. Our server worked the dining room on his own and was completely in control. Service was seamless, the food, which was traditional French, was excellent. A great experience for the start of our vacation.

Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We had just arrived in Quebec and stumbled upon this place on a Sunday night. Open fire, good menu and friendly staff encouraged us to stay. Our food was amazing! Great portions of well cooked, quality food. They made simple leeks taste great, and the house special of blood sausage can be recommended. The staff were helpful from the front if house to the chef (who came into the restaurant). It was casual, quality dinning and the best meal we had in Canada