“Sublime artistry in the Quebec countryside”
Review of Restaurant La Taniere - CLOSED

Restaurant La Taniere
Price range: US$77 - US$138
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rang St-Denis
Description: C'est une cuisine ou se rencontrent le savoir-faire traditionnel et l'innovation contemporaine. On fait appel a tous vos sens afin que l'experience gastronomique soit des plus surprenante et memorable. Le respect et l'inspiration des produits locaux quebecois de qualite permettent de decouvrir une cuisine originale de terroir qui innove tout en introduisant les produits exceptionnels que le monde peut nous offrir. Les toutes nouvelles techniques culinaires s'immiscent au ceour des plats de gibiers qui ont fait notre reputation, mais egalement au sein des plats de la mer et des bouchees gourmandes de la fin. Tout en se soucient de l'impact ecologique des choix de produits offerts, on a developpe differentes formules de menu degustation a multiples services ou vos papilles en auront plein la bouche. Passe maitre dans l'art du souci du detail, une equipe accueillante et professionnelle vous fera vibrer a l'unisson avec le terme gastronomie.
Wayland, Massachusetts, United States
“Sublime artistry in the Quebec countryside”
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Drop all expectations at the door and enter paradise. We dined with the La Taniere staff on a rainy Thursday evening and were led on a culinary journey like no other. Clearly the brainchild of a mad genius chef with an exceptional staff and an uncanny attention to detail. The water bottle was never out of place and the label always returned to the exact location facing forward every time. With attention like that to water bottles you can not even begin to imagine the detail paid to the food. We were led to the countryside by direction from our concierge printed out and slightly convoluted the trip there was fun and interesting through residential neighborhoods and farm country. The setting is remote and elegant at the same time. Let me just say that if you have ever wanted to leave the humdrum existence of five star restaurants far in your rear view take the plunge to a culinary adventure and a feast of the senses, go to this place and experience your food like never before. The staff, the wine, food, and certainly not least the presentation are remarkable. In this time of fast dining and get them in and out mentality the four hours we spent with the amazing staff was both a pleasure and we felt, a privilege. Something we will never forget.

We ordered the revolution, the 20 course option, with wine pairings, it was a big job for me and probably a bit of a stretch for my companion. She probably should have gone with the 15 course option. And truthfully that would have been enough for me also, but we splurged an I do not regret 1 bite. An exceptional adventure reminiscent of special occasions gone by and a memory for the books. I applaud the wonderfully creative chef and his outstanding staff! I cannot recommend this establishment enough, but do not be fooled this place is very pricey but worth every penny, and minute spent there. Enjoy an be awakened!

• Visited July 2013

Bergerac, France
“Outstanding.”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We have been to maybe a dozen "top" restaurants in the three large cities of the Eastern seaboard and this one is by far and away the best.

About 25km outside Quebec City centre (about $40 by taxi) in an unassuming single story wooden building in an ordinary area. Inside is comfortable, cosy and relatively simple. The atmosphere is alm and comfy - definitely not a stuffy or over formal environment. There is plenty of space around the tables. Service was friendly, efficient, attentive and helpful- it created a really nice atmosphere. The waiting staff really seemed to know their jobs well and made you feel very much at home. There were three fixe menus to choose from - 10, 15 or 20 courses. We went for the 15 which was plenty! Am not sure that I could have managed the 20. We had the wine parings with the menu.

Every dish was delightful - full of surprises, wonderful colours, tastes and textures with interesting and often quite different ingredients. It was a real culinary journey... there wasn't a single dish rom the 16 (we got an extra or two) that I would have change or replace. The wines to go with the food were also excellent and apart from 1 very sweet wine with the dessert at the end again, I wouldn't have changed anything.

If Michelin were here, this would be a two star restaurant. We had a wonderful evening.

We are travelling in Canada for 4 months. I doubt that we will find better than this...

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank AJCG
City Gal
“Out of the way, but worth the trip”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

This restaurant is located about a $50 cab ride away from Old Quebec, where we were staying. I had read really good reviews, and we are foodies, so we decided it was worth the effort to go out there.

First, I made reservations off of Opentable. Keep in mind that they will phone you a few days later to secure your reservation with a credit card.

We went on a Wednesday and there were only three other tables besides ours. This adds a really romantic feel (great restaurant for special occasions). The service was beyond perfection. Even when I just called (from the hotel room) to ask a question, somehow the server knew who I was. When we entered the dining room, he knew who I was. This added a personal feel that extended all the way to the end, when he asked us if we'd like him to email us the menu in English (as it's provided in French) -- and he did, the very next day!

We had the 15 course meal, and I don't want to spoil the surprises and amazement by giving any details, but I will say it was all delicious, went together amazingly, and truly highlighted regional cuisine. I have not a single complaint about this place.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank foodiefromupnorth
Montreal, Canada
“One of best dinning experiences in Canada”
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Now here's a place well worth the drive. It's about 20 minutes out of quebec city. You have a choice of a 7,12, or 20 course meal. Splurge and go for the full 20 with wine pairings, it's truly out of this world.
You will presented with textures and tastes that soulfully rock your world.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Nicq
Quebec City, Canada
“excellent”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Discover wild game with mouth watering taste and the ambiance was perfect. A good place to enjoy with good friends and wine

Visited October 2012