“Great atmosphere, good food”
Review of Le Lapin Saute

Le Lapin Saute
Ranked #22 of 1,476 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Description: The magic of the Petit-Champlain district adds to the charm of the Lapin Sauté. By day, this pedestrian street comes alive with the sounds of chatter. By night, the lighting makes shadows dance on the walls of the street's historic houses. Dining at the Lapin Sauté is akin to walking into a warm, quaint and cozy inns from the early 20th century. There is nothing better than sitting in the comfort of this small, friendly 32-seat restaurant where you're always welcomed with open arms. During the summer, the Lapin expands to 52 seats with its outdoor terrace and patrons flock here under the warm sun. In the winter, a fire warms your heart and soul as you discover local country products made and served like nowhere else.
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We sat outside and you can't beat a patio, especially when it's not on the side of a roadway. My brother and I had the rabbit and duck for two and everything was delicious. Good food and reasonably priced.

1  Thank Senior_V
There are newer reviews for Le Lapin Saute

Reviewed 2 August 2011

My wife and I had dinner here in early July on a warm day in Quebec City. We had reservations and were willing to wait a few extra minutes for an outside table on the terrace. Some musicians were playing fiddles in the small park next to the terrace and provided good entertainment. We also struck up lively conversations with several patrons at adjoining tables and had a wonderful evening. Our dinner began with escargot followed by the duck and rabbit for two platter, which took aver an hour to consume. Really a lot of food. We thought the duck and rabbit were very tasty but a little on the dry side; the escargot was pretty good. Overall, we enjoyed the experience and would return because of the location and atmosphere. I think I would order something else though. Cost with drinks after tax and gratuity was $135.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Great food, great find...Saw the reviews on trip advisor and thought we would give it a try. It was a perfect day and we didn't have to wait very long. It was the first restaurant we went to in Quebec City.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I went to Lapin Saute last evening since it was our first night in Quebec City and we hadn't made reservations anywhere (which of course meant everything was booked). We were seated after 30 minutes which is what the girl at the front told us it would be (they don't take reservations for outside and it is a waiting list). The great part was we were able to go next door and have a drink while we waited.

It actually ended up being 30 minutes to be seated inside which was fine since at that point we were very hungry. The waitress was very accommodating even willing to bear with my subpar French or speak to us in English without any attitude.

I ordered the Filet since I was a little hesitant to order the Rabbit while my BF ordered the Rabbit with two sauces. We also ordered the Escargots as an appetizer. While all of it was good, none of it was amazing. The filet was a bit dry even though I ordered it Medium-Rare but it was still edible. The rabbit which I did end up trying was ok as well although BF said it was good (better than the filet). My favorite part was actually the dessert. I had the Strawberry Shortcake with Lavender which was really nice and BF had the Maple Syrup Creme Brulee. I felt compelled to write this review because based on reviews I had read on Tripadvisor, I expected this meal to be outstanding.

Based on prices I have seen at other recommended restaurants, I would say that Lapin Saute is definitely less expensive but that's not saying a whole lot considering we spent $100 Canadian dollars (unfortunately more than $100 US thanks to the exchange rate) for one app, two entrees, two drinks, and two desserts. I think that part of the problem is the major taxes imposed on all the food and drink in Quebec City so I won't fault the restaurant for that.

The atmosphere was great with fun little rabbits everywhere and the service was very friendly although a bit slower than the US but that's pretty typical. I would definitely go to the restaurant again, I just wouldn't go with such high expectations and then maybe my review would rank it higher. I suggest going but not assuming that this meal will completely amaze you.

1  Thank babsnmk
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Rabbit cassoulet was very tasty. French onion soup was excellent.