“Entertaining Waitstaff”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and enjoyed an odd meal at Mistral while visiting Quebec City. The exterior sports a very Provencal type atmosphere, cute, lavender, yellow tablecloths with olives, hanging herbs, but the interior is more diner-ish. The chair seats were absolutely filthy, but once you are seated, well, you can forget about it. It took ten minutes for the wait staff to attend us after being seated, during which time we pondered fleeing as there were only three other occupied tables, but we stayed and the food was decent. Most other restaurants were full at that point. Our food was fine, served hot and tasting good, not excellent. I's asked to have my lamb served medium and it was clearly still alive so it had to be sent back. By the time it returned my husbands food was cold. The best part of the meal, however, was really the wait staff. The two who were in charge that evening were truly entertaining, although they by no means were trying to be. There was, apparently, some sort of issue in the kitchen with the cook and this was causing a spillover of frustration into the dining room. My husband and I were simply enjoying the wine, the meal and the activity. Head somewhere else if great food is important to you :)

2  Thank Elizabeth C

Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Mistral Gagnant is a little out of the way on Rue St. Paul but well worth a visit, which we do on every trip to Quebec City. The food, service and wine list are all good to very good. This time I had bouillabaisse and my wife steak. I didn't have any problem with the bouillabaisse, unlike another customer. The steak was perfectly done to my wife's taste, more well done that the French prefer, but without the frown that often follows a "medium-well" request ! The prices are not cheap and the restaurant has a country look that could be improved. Tablecloths add so much to a restaurant. But I will be back when we next visit Quebec City.
Robert Ontario

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We discovered this restaurant by wandering. It was much quieter than other places although it was a late lunch. Had the lunch menu which included an appetizer. The gazpacho soup was delicious. Also had a nice omelet which came with mashed potatoes and carrots. For dessert, the creme brulet was also delicious. Nice find during a busy festival in the lower town.

1  Thank alsyeki
Reviewed 31 July 2013

and family owned and operated ( according to out hotel concierge). We tried it on their recommendation and are glad we did. Service was professional and the atmosphere quite authentic, right down to the quirky little hankies over the light fixtures. The presentation was lovely but un- fussy. We started with escargot in a light pastry, good but not unusually so. The Boulliabaisse had at least three kinds of fish as well as shrimp, scallop and mussels in a light tomato based soup. Very good! My husband's duck was perfectly cooked ( pink in the center) with a very good orange sauce. Desserts were excellent: a nicely tart lemon pie and a nicely sweet sugar pie ( a Quebec specialty). A lovely bottle of rose' which the waiter suggested complemented the entire meal. A very pleasant dining experience for couples or small groups. Leave the kiddies home.

2  Thank Altina V
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The appetizer was delicious and the venue was tastefully done but everything else was a horrible disappointment.
I ordered bouillabaise, which at $40 is one of the most expensive items on the menu. It had been recommended in a tour book, but the best that can be said for it is that it was full of protein. Flavour was almost totally lacking and all but one of the different types of seafood that are part of the classic recipe were absent.
The restaurant opened late for the evening meal and though I assured the waiter? owner? that it wasn't a problem, all his charm evaporated at the first words of English that issued from my mouth.
Service was minimal and perfunctory. At least for me. Other patrons were treated better.
The most disappointing meal of my entire trip came to close to $47 once taxes were added on.

1  Thank Cherylyn S