“What they said...”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown Quebec City
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Great location. Nice place. Easy menu. Good food. (My husband remembers this as his favorite steak frites.) Stiff drinks. (I ordered a great martini made with cidre de feu.) The bartender was wonderful, but the rest of the staff, especially the hosts, gave us an icy reception. Based on other reviews, I'm glad to see it wasn't just us! Have an extra martini or glass of wine, and you probably won't even notice the less than friendly service.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

You have to have a reservation unless you don't mind waiting in line. It's very busy, typical noisy French bistro but you will never want for anything. There service is exceptional and the entrees were perfect. Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My wife and I had a good lunch at L'Echaude yesterday. I jumped out as a more authentic-looking restaurant than many of the others that we had walked by, which were aimed at tourists. L'Echaude has striking modern design and, based on one meal, a good mixture of traditional bistro and international fare. My bavetter et frites was great, by wife loved the wild mushrooms that came with her risotto, but the risotto was watery and bland. The restaurant could/should have done better with that.

We were struck, though that the servers seemed to know many of the diners and there warm welcomes and farewells. Somehow a meal always seems better if you can tell that there are regulars who value the spot. I'd go back and try it for dinner the next time I am in Quebec City.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a delicious lunch here today, although portion sizes were inconsistent. I had the special of the day, a wild mushroom risotto that was excellent but half the size of my friends ocean perch (Sebastes spp.) plate. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and a very good rep. Service was okay. Prices were quite reasonable. Worth trying, perhaps I'm being overly critical.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Lively and delicious. The brioche French toast certainly satisfied the children. Coffee was superb as was the attentive, friendly service. I had the smoked salmon eggs Benedict. Yum.