“Lovely long stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Quebec City
Le Chateau du Faubourg
Ranked #26 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 September 2013

I had a 5 day conference at the Quebec Convention Centre and I chose Le Chateau du Faubourg because it was a convenient 5 minute walk away. This BnB is on Rue St Jean so the walk was very pleasant.
I found the BnB in general and my room in particular to be very clean and tidy. My bed and pillows were very comfortable and I woke rested. The breakfasts were good - croissants, assorted cheeses including brie, deli meats, fruit, and eggs and toast on request.
I found Phillip to be very cordial and helpful. He gave me an early breakfast when I needed to be at an early lecture, he helped me locate restaurants and arranged my taxis.
All in all it was a very pleasurable experience. I would return with my family given the opportunity especially because of the lovely location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
andrewII, Owner at Le Chateau du Faubourg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Thanks for your review.

We appreciate your positive comments about our B&B.

Hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

If I could I would have given this place 2.5 stars out of five, 2 stars seems a tad too low but on consideration I just could not give it 3 out of five.
This B and B has a lot going for it and a lot not going for it. Let me start with some positives. It is an excellent location - on Rue Saint Jean it is a few minutes by foot to the old city and only seconds to great bars and restaurants. The bones of the building are equally as good - it is a structure built about 1850 and it shows all the elegance of that period - lots of wood floors, original crown mouldings, stunning staircase and cool windows. The staff keep the place spotless - it is perhaps the cleanest B and B I have ever visited. The breakfast is full and complete and on a self serve basis starts with a variety of yogurt, cheeses, breads and one meat offered on a side table. The host, Philippe, will make eggs and toast on request. His egg and toast plates are very good. He did thoughtfully remember that I like water with breakfast and after the first day I did not have to ask for water. The linens and towels in the room are fresh, and new. The pillows are flat and way too soft - are they old or were they made that way - I do not know. Daily room maintenance is good. There are patio tables in the front and a super garden with tables in the back. Philippe, the employee, did help us get a better room one day earlier than we had booked - he was very helpful in that regards.
The owner despite stating on the web site a dedication to restoring the place to the original elegance of the first owners have opted to fill the home with some antiques and a whole lot of things that are at best described as faux: prints by famous artists (fine by me, btw), some furniture and fixtures from stores such as the Bombay Company and/or similar shops, and an endless supply of second rate goods from sets of used technical books in the library room to a cheap mirrors hung on the back of a door - it goes on and on with the faux decor. There is to me what appears to be an attempt to present as stained glass windows scenes in some interior windows using coloured paints. One of which - showing books and a boy scholar is not at all bad, the rest not so much. There are paintings all on the ceiling and in frames that could be described at best as naive school of art. Some of the furniture is worn and old and one couch had holes in it which were covered by a loose piece of fabric - lift the fabric and see an old, ripped seat - why not just fix it right? The place to me is just not as authentic as I understood it to be from the web site.
We asked speificaly if someone would be on site when we arrived as we already had a late arrival planned and in the event of anything happening (and it did - very high winds in Toronto area delayed planes). As it turned out we arrived 1.5 hours late due to the airline delay. For the record the plane was on the tarmac for the delay and we could not telephone. From 11:15 PM to midnight we stood on the doorstep of the B and B and telephoned the B and B, rang the doorbell, knocked and then pounded on the door to no avail - finally with a last telephone call we woke the employee on site, Philippe, who in an upset state came to the door and let us in. He complained that he just goes to bed when people do not arrive on time as "you never know when they will come". He answered our questions curtly, and made it clear on numerous occasions as I have here, he is NOT the owner and only is an employee. How welcoming - not.
One of the other guest made the mistake of taking from the kitchen a couple of plates to eat some deli meats and cheeses which they had bought at a nearby deli. Philippe saw them eating from those plates on one of the patio tables and as they told it to us, Philippe told them in no uncertain terms that "this is not your house!" - apparently, his reaction was a way over the top response to a small liberty taken. The morning before our departure and after all of the guests had their breakfast I asked Philippe if we could clear our bill as we had an early departure and I wanted to make sure all was in good order. He told me to see him later - he was busy cleaning and had groceries to buy - I could get him by ringing the doorbell. Remembering that the bell did not work so well summoning him late at night I asked if it worked? He looked at me like I was stupid and said with no shortage of attitude that it rings in the kitchen and he would hear it. Later that day we did just that. We could not hear the bell and rang it numerous times (perhaps six times). Philippe came from the kitchen and in a loud, obnoxious voice said ( by my actually count) four times " it is necessary to only ring the bell once not five or six times"! Apparently, it is okay to yell something to a paying guest four times but not to ring a bell six times. We apologized three times and he had no reply so I guess it is also okay to not accept an honest and sincere apology. How classy - not.
One day we were getting ready to leave the room and the door lock would not unlock - from the interior. This made no sense - we did everything but the door lock would not let us leave the room. Philippe heard the commotion and yelled with a tone of irritation " I'll go get a key" , he returned and from the outside of our room unlocked the door. We asked what the heck was going on and he replied nonchalantly that sometimes that lock does not work so well and we must be careful how we close and lock the door from the inside. How nice that he tells us after we are locked in our own room. God forbid it happened during an emergency. It was just by chance he heard us trying to get out. No apology from him after all it is the lock's fault or our fault for not lining up the key just right for the lock that "sometimes doesn't work right". Clearly this has happened before and unless fixed will happen again. Here's an idea: try telling the owner to get it fixed.
In our first room we kept hearing a low vibrating bass sound which we initially thought came from music played at a nearby bar. We traced the music though to the stereo in one of the salons. As no one was there we turned it down and yes, the vibrating bass disappeared. We mentioned it to Philippe and he loudly exclaimed that it was NOT that stereo that gave the vibrating bass sound and he is in charge of the stereo and he turns it off each night at nine. Even after being told this we came back to the property after 9 and found the music playing so we would just turn it down as the excess bass is a pain all the time. But when it comes to Philippe please do not contradict or argue - he is right. How friendly - not.
One afternoon we tried to have a nap but could not due to a barking dog. We could hear a human imitating a dog bark egging on the barking dog. We do not know who it was egging the dog on to bark more. This went on for about 7 or 10 minutes. When we went to raise the matter later that afternoon with Philippe at the first mentioned of "dog" and before we said anything about barking Philippe said "I have two dogs and one of them is a "barker". It was clear he did not want to discuss his dogs. How accommodating - not.
One morning I asked him about "antique row" a well known place in Quebec City and specifically if he knew any shops in antique row that may specialize in silver and/or candlesticks. I thought he might know as he may have had a hand in decorating the B and B and among the many silver plate items there may have been some sterling silver. His reply was and I quote "I always get mine at Costco". How witty - not.
We talked with Philippe about our early departure and how we would need a cab at about 7:15. He was all smiles and helpfullness and said he is up each day at 5:30. Just come downstairs when we want and all will be in good order. With him standing there, we briefly discussed our schedule, getting up, having something to eat, and time needed to get to the station. We then told him the time we would come downstairs. When we arrived on the first day Philippe clearly said breakfast was from 8:30 to 10:30. However, in light of the conversation mentioned we were left with the impression that the times were not set in stone and that they would offer us a breakfast on our departure day. That morning when we started to pull the chair out to sit down he trumpeted " I do NOT serve breakfast at this hour. I asked for a coffee and he said yes; immediately though I changed my mind and said "on second thought no coffee please". A coffee had not even been offered and to have to have ask was, in quick reflection, just not worth it. I would sooner pay for a coffee at the train station. He did call us the taxi as promised. Such memorably service oriented events!... for all the wrong reasons.
So there you have it - some good points for this B and B and some not so good points. I can not recommend this B and B and at the same time can not say do not go there. Le Chateau du Faubourg was "just okay" and the client service was all too often "no way". You decide. Me? I shall not return.

Room Tip: Be sure to check out their cancellation policy before you book.
6  Thank Travellingtheworld1
andrewII, Owner at Le Chateau du Faubourg, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Clients,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased that you have noticed some very positive points about our B&B: the great location, the elegance of our building, that we are one of the cleanest B&B you visited and more.

I would like to comment on some of the other negative points that you express.

We are rated 4 stars, closer to the 4.5 stars then the 3 stars as you commented. We are working very hard to make sure our clients enjoy the time they stay with us. That is reflected in our reviews since 85% of those are very good to excellent.

The furniture style in the house is mostly Louis XV, Second Empire, Louis XVI and some English furniture such as East lake and some from the XIX and XX century. The room you booked was the master bedroom suite, it is furnished with Louis XVI, Louis XV style. There is two English style end tables from the begining of the XX century. We are very surpised that you compare this style of furniture to the one we can find at Bombay. The East Lake sofa in this room was damaged not a long time ago by a client pet and we are looking for the right artisant to do the proper restauration.

The painted glass was, a century ago, a method used to faux fini stained glass. If you travel in Europe you will notice that the faux finishes were used in most of the chateaux and hotel particulier since marble and other material were not available like they are today. Most of our art frames are original oïl painting, gravures and other medium. We have some prints on canevas because we like the original art work. We do not pretend to be a museum and do not have Monet, Manet or other grand mastrers paintings.

We are very sorry to read that your exchanges with Philippe were not cordiale and to your expectations. Most of the comments that Philippe received from our guests are very positive and many of our clients come back to stay with us because of him.

We will discuss the matter together and understand what happen exactly that you have this kind of feelings towards his services.

We hope these comments will be helpful and be assured that we take your review in consideration.

André

You commented about our pillows being flat. We offer to our clients ticker pillows up on request.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

This inn offered everything we needed for our six night stay in Quebec City. It is a short walk to the walls of the Old City. Parking is included. Breakfasts were delicious. The Belanger Suite was clean and spacious. The host was welcoming and helpful. We would definitely recommend this inn.

Room Tip: The Belanger Suite was located on the second floor-no elevators. It was very spacious, and even thou...
1  Thank Patricia M

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Your comments are very appreciated and will be mentioned to our staff.

Thanks again!

André

Reviewed 4 July 2013

About a 7 minute walk from the Old Town and 10 minutes from the Plain of Abraham this Chateau is well located for access to attractions. If you don't want to be right in the center of tourist activity yet close to it, Le Chateau du Faubourg is a great setting. Located in a quaint neighborhood there are more locals than tourists on the streets. Le Chateau du Faubourg has been nicely restored with a French feel from another period and has a complement of accommodations which are more like suites than standard hotel rooms. Breakfasts offered a good choice of options to enjoy while meeting people from other places. We spent a lot of time in Old Town during the day and Le Chateau was a welcoming and very comfortable site to return to after a long day. Wireless internet was included and on-line service was fast. Le Chateau du Faubourg was very clean and well-maintained. A pleasure to stay at.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Belanger Suite. It was one floor up without an elevator but our hosts were very he...
2  Thank JoshuasGPa
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This place has to be seen to be believed, it is a beautifully restored château in the French-style.
The room we stayed in was very spacious and felt luxurious and was excellent value for money.

The host is also welcoming and helpful.

The location is excellent, you are little away from the core tourist area, but closer to the 'locals' and some great restaurants (and yes, even a great poutine place!)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 2AussieTravellers104
Reviewed 25 October 2012

The rooms are all done in period decor-18th century,in fact the entire house is as well. You really feel you are Louis xiv or Marie Antoinette. Try to get the two room suite with the view on the St. Babtist church. Close to downtown. Very quiet and we appreciated the cleanly ness and great breakfast.Great value.

Room Tip: the one that faces the church-2nd floor. It's a suite-boudoir with fireplace and cyrtal chandele...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Roxanne F
Reviewed 29 September 2012 via mobile

Just a short walk to Old Quebec and Citadel, yet it is in a very quaint neighborhood....more locals than tourists, unlike Old Quebec where there are much much more tourists than locals. Architecture, furnishings, decorations, and landscape of the premise are amazing...puts you in the home of Louis XIV time. Breakfast choices that would fill you til dinner, if not exercise control....great coffee and lots of it. We stayed 3 nights...just enough time to explore Old Quebec and get away from all tourists off the cruise ships. Highly recommend this auberg. Diep and John, Seattle

• Stayed: September 2012