“Not good at all - avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Campagne

La Campagne
Ranked #349 of 1,432 Restaurants in Quebec City
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Not good at all - avoid”
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

The food is not even close to Vietnamese. To be honest I am not sure what to call it - had better food from a tin. Do not waste your time.

2 Thank Nata0

Montreal
“Very, very disappointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I know most people will read this and based on the other reviews, think I'm just whining. I have eaten at dozens of authentic Vietnamese restaurants and this was the worst meal I have ever had. I have given it 3* based on the meal my husband had and my appetizer. However, if I were to rate it based solely on my main dish, it would be a 1*.

We chose this place based on other TA reviews, it's location plus it's a BYOW establishment. I had trouble deciding so the waitress recommended #22 which was a Thai chicken curry (maybe that was my problem, ordering Thai in a Vietnamese place). When it arrived at the table, the odour was overwhelming. It smelled horrible and tasted even worse. I couldn't eat it and unfortunately the service was a little slow as the restaurant was packed. It was 8pm on Saturday night of the long weekend so I didn't have the chance to ask for something else. When the waitress came to clear the table, I told her how disappointed I was so they took $5 off the bill.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Erika949
Montréal, Qc
“Good place! Great food, great service, good value and great location”
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I was looking for a BYOW near the Capitole theatre and this one came up. I looked it up and the reviews were good so we decided to try it. At first it's a bit awkward: you enter by a narrow hallway and you're wondering if you're entering a restaurant or a private residence. Your first encounter is with the restrooms and you have to walk half-way into the restaurant to get to a place where the waiter can see you. After that moment, everything was fine. The server made good suggestions and was very professionnal. The items seem a bit expensive at first but that's because the prices include the table d'hôte by default (soup, spring rolls and dessert). If you wish, you can substract 6$ for the meal alone. Taking that into account, prices are very reasonable, especially for the location. My girlfriend ordered the fish and I got the curried chicken. The fish was excellent but I found the chicken could have been more spicy. The fried banana was up to par with my expectation, crispy and savory. Overall a very good place, well located and with a very good value.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Antoine D
Montreal, Canada
“The Real Thing!”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We are Quebec City residents who enjoy eating out at local ethnic restaurants. For visitors with similar tastes, La Campagne is perfect; it's a bring your own wine establishment on rue Saint Jean, one of our coolest streets. Tourists will not be fleeced here: the food is tasty, copious and served with warmth and aplomb. The owner and manager is a seasoned veteran of the Quebec City scene, and he and his family will welcome you with open arms. The restaurant is very popular among neighbourhood residents; this should be your first clue that you've come to the right place.In fact, you'll need a reservation on weekends.Get a window seat;it's much prettier. Try the peanut chicken, the salmon or the trout, and order the fixed price, four-course menu.This is a guaranteed-treat place that's easy on the pocket book. Enjoy!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Robert M
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great inexpensive Vietnamese food”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The food was not very greasy and tasted fresh. We eat a lot of Asian food and this was quite authentic. Service was a little slow but it was Friday and the restaurant was full. The neighborhood is not the greatest so would plan on an early dinner.

• Visited July 2012