“Wonderful experience.”

and 1 more site!
Maison Historique James Thompson
Ranked #7 of 120 Quebec City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife, daughter and I just got back from a winter vacation in Quebec city. What a beautiful place. We stayed at the James Thompson house for three days and had a fantastic experience. It's located in the upper part of the old city and is within walking distance of all of the sites. The rooms are clean and spacious, but what made it fun was Guitta, the owner. What a great person! She and her daughters made us feel like family. Breakfast was a treat, chatting with Guitta and the other guest at a communal table. She told us about some great/inexpensive restaurants that are frequented by the locals. I can't say enough about how happy we are. Thank you Guitta, Heidi and Brigitte for an unforgettable stay:)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
guittatimtim, Owner at Maison Historique James Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Ode de Joy family,

Thank you for your kind review. I also had a wonderful time hosting and meeting your family. The music is sealed on the wall of this house forever in memory of your young daughter playing the piano filling this house with joys. Thank you.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 4 nights in June, 2013. It was a great experience! Quebec became one of our most wonderful places we've ever visited and surely a part of this experience was due to the place where we stayed. Besides not meeting Greg, Guitta was very friendly and helpful everyday we stayed there. We get to this B&B in the evening (after a long trip by bus) and she was waiting for us. She gave us very helpful information about the B&B and the city, she served us fresh breakfast everyday (she made some pancakes) and she also gave us a lift to the train station.
The house is well decorated with great furniture. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was good (however our bathroom had "glass walls" and a curtain). The bed was very large and comfortable. The only downside was the wood floor. When our "neighbours" were about to leave or when they got up ealier than us, we could listen to every step they made in the room above (but we've not heard any noise else).
This cozy B&B lies in a very good area in old Quebec in a very quiet street and it is not far to restaurants, the city walls and the main attractions - or Frontenac and Saint Laurent river, I mean = )

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zibordi
guittatimtim, Owner at Maison Historique James Thompson, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for taking your time to write a review and for your kind thoughts. I share your observation about the creaking of the 200 years old house. I cringe every time I hear the floor's noises. I am going to buy many bottles of baby powder and spread them over those floors tomorrow, I heard that it diminishes the creaking noises.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

You can walk to the Plains of Abraham or along Rue Saint-Jean to find the only 'Timmies' in the old City amongst the restaurants and shops. At this location there is no need for a car and you will get an excellent workout walking up and down the hills!!! The house is clean and well kept.

Room Tip: First floor, you don't have to carry your lugage up or down the stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We read the trip advisor reviews on this one and almost didn't stay here but are so glad we did! If you are looking for modern and swanky this isn't it! But it is the perfect location for seeing Quebec City - we were able to walk to everything. And it is an historic property, lovingly maintained - charming and interesting. We loved the crepes and breakfast in general, Guitta was super kind and helpful to us, other guests friendly and interesting. One fellow guest even drove us to the airport at the end of our stay! It's that kind of place - full of interesting stories and much kindness.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and observations. Yes, the greatest gifts of all is the encountering and exchanging with our fellow humans. Most people are beautiful and many times I cry with tear of happiness because I witness the generosities of my fellow guests. At time when it is difficult Gods always send beautiful souls to lift me up again.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

The first time I visited James Thompson House was nine years ago and I have stayed there during all seasons. Guita is a warm, sincere, considerate and generous host who was raised in old Quebec and who takes great care to know each guest. Her home is located inside the walls of the old city beside the gates to the Ecole des Ursulines, founded in 1639. She serves a great breakfast at a large table where you exchange stories from people from around the world. The rooms are huge, spotless, and elegant. This is the great place to stay if you are there for the summer festivals, fall colours or la neige . Be sure to ask Guita, if you want to visit the places where the locals eat and shop. A great place in an incredible city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank george r

Thank you for coming back. it is not always easy to remember past guest that was here 9 years earlier, but I did remember you.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed in the red room up one flight of stairs and it had 2 queen beds. As others have noted, one bed is very firm and the other soft. There is no television in this room. It has a private bathroom with a bath and a hand-held shower. The artwork of Guitta’s that is displayed everywhere is overwhelming and not to our tastes.

When we arrived and found a 5c piece on the floor, we then realised that cleaning may not be to the highest standard! We were correct. Our daily room service consisted of pulling up the sheets and emptying our rubbish bin. The pillows I had propped myself up in bed to read, were still in the same position, the wet towels still hanging on the bathroom door (no rails or hooks to hang them on) and the damp bath mats still on the floor of the bathroom. Considering it was a wet and rainy day in Quebec, it would have been nice to have them removed and replaced.

The hairdryer and shampoo hang from a basked above the toilet. Make sure the toilet lid is down before attempting to open this bag or the shampoo may fall into the toilet (like it did with us).

There is no air conditioning – it would be a very hot room in the summer months.

As a previous reviewer noted, there is a coffee machine, but no cups to drink from or tea or coffee supplied. However, upon mentioning this to Guitta, she did give us cups and said we could use the tea and coffee from the breakfast area. The cups etc. however should already be in the room and you shouldn’t have to go asking for them.

The main problem in this room is the lighting. It is very poor and the room is dim. There is a lamp above the desk that has room for 4 light bulbs but only has one. We had to use a torch to use this desk at night. The bathroom window only has a lace curtain, so you cannot use the bathroom at night with the light on or the neighbors opposite can look straight in. We had to shower and change in the dark in the bathroom. There is also a trick to turning off the tap in the bath/shower to stop it dripping water all night. Once again, we only found this out when phoning Guitta (she was nowhere to be found downstairs) to tell her of the dripping tap and that we couldn’t sleep with the constant water dripping. We were given one small cake of soap for our 3 day stay which slowly disintegrated and was never renewed.

The wardrobe in the corner of the room is almost falling apart and is in desperate need of replacement. In the bottom of this wardrobe is a fridge – although you are not told this. We only found out what it was when we asked to be able to put something in the kitchen fridge. It is, however, an effective fridge.

The shower rail is only just hanging very loosely and we were concerned that it would fall down given any pressure/weight.

There are no blankets on the beds – just a heavy red brocade type of quilt (more like a curtain) which wasn’t as warm. This probably doesn’t bother some, but I found it too heavy and would have preferred a blanket for warmth.

For $160 a night, I would have expected a box of tissues to be supplied, but there was none.
Other reviewers have mentioned how helpful Greg was with information supplied and showing them around. We never met Greg and there was no sign of him. It appears that he doesn’t live here anymore, so we didn’t receive any of that information.

On the plus side, everything everyone has said about Guitta’s breakfasts is true. They are wonderful and plentiful. The location is very central to everything however it should be noted that there is a long slog up the hill after a day out – some people may find this to be a problem. Parking is available, however you may find yourself parked in by others so if you need to use your car that day, you will have to arrange to swap cars around.

Would I recommend – no.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiR46

I apology for not being able to meet your required expectation during your stay with us this past September. I wrote an earlier response but I made the mistake of hitting the wrong box, below your review, explaining my views.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Maison Historique James Thompson, it was very central, excellent breakfast, and a nice hot shower. The room was disappointing in that the TV only showed DVD's and the coffee machine was there but no cups, coffee etc.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Raewyn R

Thank you for taking your time to write us your review. I am sad to learn that you did not have a great experience staying at our house. As your hostess, I tried hard to accommodate your needs, like doing your laundry two times for free and driving you out of town to have your feet massage by a foot specialist because I could not make an appointment for you to a closer location at a short time notice.

We leave a small album with informations about the small fridge and the tv and all other commodities on the table inside each room. I apology for not taking my time to inform you of all the things, my thoughts were that guests would see and I might annoy them more than inform them.

Our air conditioning is central, when it is 15 degree or lower at night, it is not on because most guests preferred to have their windows opened, to which I pleaded orally and in writing to all to open the window at night. It is ecological.

I apology for writing too long. Sometimes a bad experience will make one appreciate better encounters. We cannot always be happy all the time.