“There is a Reason this place is Legendary”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hatchet Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saskatchewan
Hatchet Lake Lodge
Calgary, Canada
“There is a Reason this place is Legendary”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My first trip to Hatchet Lake Lodge came, of all things, as a gift from my father, whose clients had been frequenting here some 20 years in the past. I'm the fisherman in the family, and even as a solo guest and visitor, I was simply blown away by the quality of the lodge/resort experience. More interesting than anything was that the other 16 guests attending at the same time as myself were ALL repeat customers of this fine fishing camp - from as little as 7 repeat years to one father /son team who had been coming for 14 years! These were all people who had experienced other top notch fishing lodges across north America/Canada, and yet still chose to come back to Hatchet Lake for one reason only - because it was the best. Harvey and Wendy were our proprietors and hosts, and they made you feel welcome from the minute you arrived, and the staff made sure the remainder of your trip was attended to in every way, no matter your needs. Every guest had their own guide for all four days of fishing, so that you could concentrate on any/all species that you might be trying to catch in your quest for the Grand Slam of Fishing. From new fires in your cabin's stove that were stoked before you even woke up, to the fresh coffee awaiting you on your table, to the custom or featured breakfasts every morning, you awoke in paradise, and then FISHED in paradise throughout the day. When you completed your day, which included a shore lunch crafted by your guide, your dinner awaited you every evening in plenty of time to have gotten relaxed and cleaned up after a day of top flight fishing on either Hatchet Lake, or one of the many adjoining lakes available to fish on daily fly-outs. Drinks and cocktails, as well as good company and conversation, were yours to pursue every evening after dinner until you were ready to turn in and do it all over again the next day. While this is the place to happily know you won't even get a cell phone signal for 4 days, internet access is still available for those that want to stay connected, should you so desire. This place is the Cadillac of fish camps, and I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: this isn't your local 4 or 5 star hotel, but your rustic cabin will be served so well by the att...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This was my tenth visit to Hatchet and it is still one of the top fishing lodges in North America. The camp now accommodates a maximum 19 guests vs. 50 in the past. The smaller size allows the staff to focus on the details. The cabins get daily housekeeping and a warm fire on those cool mornings and evenings. Fly outs are a must if you want to catch a trophy. Bring your Pink #5 Mepps spinner and some good rain gear and your set. Hatchet has top gear, new outboard motors each year and Satalite phones for the fly outs. First Class all the way. If you want to start a tradition for your family this is the place to do it. Fish On!!!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Eric H
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 15 September 2004

How to compress such a wonderful experience into a few words? I had known about Hatchet Lake by virtue of being included on their mailing lists for many years. Finally, an opportunity presented in 2003 to come to the Lodge, and it was such fun that I returned in 2004 with my son, son-in-law, and grandson. The weather was excellent and one could not have asked for better fishing. The thing that sticks with me though, is that there is no way that such a fine property could have been created in such a remote location. And yet, there it is. I am in awe of what George Fleming has accomplished. Friendly seamless service by every employee anticipates the visitors' every need. I'm sure there must be other places offering such a great experience, but why go to the trouble to find them when you already have Hatchet Lake?

3 Thank Wizeoldowl
Reviewed 21 August 2004

I've fished many other places. In Canada & the US. There is nothing that compares to the Hatchet Lake experience. Great people, George, Harvey, Wendy and staff. The fishing is second to none other and the guides are the best. I hope to get back for my 5th time.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 August 2004

My fourth great trip in the past five years. I've had better weather & better fishing, but the total Hatchet experience can't be beat & I'll be back next year. Your staff is just the best, but that starts at the top with a management team that truly cares about their guests. Great food, fishing, scenery & accomodations coupled with your staff puts Hatchet Lake way above other lodges I've been to in the past. See you next year!!

Lady Lake, Florida
Reviewed 12 August 2004

I had the pleasure of bringing my 3 grown children ,Amy 38,Steven 41, and Lisa 42 to experience what real fishing is all about.They were in awe at what they caught.Amy's first day was a 43 1/2 inch Pike..along with a huge lake Trout while with Emily. My 3rd day on the fly-out ,I caught 24 fish on the same mepps5 lure. I caught a 39" pike on my last day.My daughter Lisa finished the day with a 40" pike.Steven didn't fair as well but caught tons of good sized pike.All in all a super trip.The staff very helpful from beginning to end.A 10++..My only complaint.I wish I could do this 2 or 3 times a year..

Reviewed 29 April 2004

Had a great time at Hatchet lake. I went with the owner and managers of the company I work for. I had nothing but good reviews from all that went.Had a great time fishing. My thanks to George, Harvey and the whole crew for the good time we had. The food and guides made the trip worth while. A welcome time off from the hustle of The workaday world.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member