“Don't stay here if you want to be able to access the internet. Otherwise OK”

Holiday Inn Express Regina South
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Alberta
“Don't stay here if you want to be able to access the internet. Otherwise OK”
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Unable to use the internet at this hotel. The wired connection didn't work in the 2 rooms I tried, and the wireless signal was very weak, and the bandwidth was terrible. As soon as the hotel had a few guests present, it became nearly impossible to keep a connection. Our room at the end of the hall would not get enough signal to try to connect unless we stood close to the door. Staff tried having the router rebooted, but that did not solve the problem. Back to the same issues as soon as devices reconnect to the system and the bandwidth collapsed again. Staff will try to tell you the wireless is as fast as the wired connection, which would be very unusual in my experiences.

The internet is supported by an outside firm, so the in house staff can not resolve any issues.

Room was clean and the hotel furnishing are in good condition. The sheet seem a bit rougher than normal for a Holiday Inn Express, but they may just need a few more trips through the wash. Hotel is set back from Albert Street, so that helps with the noise in the room. Usual HI breakfast, and as usually only Splenda sweeten yogurt available. Had the internet worked I would give it a better rating.

The stairwell don't seem to be vacuumed every day

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Excellent service, great access to Regina through ring road. Always stay here when in Regina.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I checked in to real loud lobby where they have the music so loud you can't hear the lady at the counter. The place was crawling with RCMP, not sure what thats all about. The internet has a usage meter on it per romm, so if you want to send pictures or down load a song, it will stall on you half way through. In about an hour or so you can do some more work then it stalls again...I don't know about you, but when I pay $149.95 for bed and a shower I would like to be able to keep in touch with my family and this place won't let you. I resorced to an air card I keep...Rooms are nice and clean...not sure about breakfast yet, it's 03:00 am and I am trying to sleep on this board they call a matress.

Room Tip: For a quick stay and you have lots of money for an average room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 505_Blazer
Prince Albert, SK
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A group of us from work were coming to Regina for Agribition, staying for one night. We had 7 rooms reserved and asked for one room to be ready for early check-in so we could put our bags in. This request was met no problem! Room was very nice and spacious, same with the bathroom. View looked out into someone's backyard but not like I spent my time looking out the window. Good location right on Albert Street with Tim Hortons and The Keg right nearby. Breakfast was good, nothing fancy but it's free and lots to choose from. Didn't get to use the pool facilities as didn't have time, unfortunately. Rooms were a bit overpiced at $190/night but this was likely due to Agribition as I know Calgary does the same thing during the Stampede. Only complaint really is one co-worker's room key wouldn't work and she said the front desk guy was pretty rude to her about it. Overall nice, new hotel - I'm always pretty impressed with the HI Express brand!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Spent 5 nights recently at the hotel and everything was generally very good. The breakfast is excellent, always lots of food, and starts at a reasonable time of 6:30. My preference when traveling from the east would be to have breakfast served earlier, but I think I am in the minority. The breakfast area is virtually empty until 07:00. While waiting for the breakfast area to open, I walk across the parking lot for a Tim Horton’s coffee.

The rooms are clean, well maintained, the free wi-fi has a strong signal in the rooms and breakfast area. Free Globe and Mail, even Saturday dropped at all rooms before 05:00!

There isn't much recognition for a Priority Club member; a bottle of water at check-in is quite weak. It was very dry in the hotel; a bottle of water a day in the room would have been much more appreciated.

Regina had a recent snowfall and the temperature stayed below the freezing point a good part of the day and overnight. I don't understand why the hotel wouldn't put a little salt in the parking lot to melt the ice? It was very slippery. The overnight low was -9 or -10, and salt works fine at that temperature. Why risk injury to patrons by leaving a layer of ice throughout the parking lot? Is it because everyone else does?

Room Tip: I was near the end of the hall on the second floor. It was quiet and had easy access to stairs which...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gord999
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2011

There hotel is over priced for what you get. Seemed very hot in the hotel. Beds were very comfortable. But you can get similar or better rooms for $50 cheaper per night.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kris A
United States
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This is the third time I've been at this hotel. The first time was great but the second time was not very good (thought I had posted a review about it but can't find it). Anyway, the room we had smell like vomit. So much that we moved rooms. They also didn't give us any welcome goodies eventhough we are priority club members.

I was reluctant to book at this hotel again but I'm glad I gave them another chance because the room we have is great with no smell of vomit and even got the welcome goodies. The rooom
AND hotel is very clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple