“Wonderful Experience!”

Holiday Inn Express Regina South
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Regina
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed here New Year's Eve of 2011. We wanted to get away for one night for a mini vacation with our toddler after the business of the Holiday season. After checking out the Science Center, we checked in to the hotel at 4 p.m.

Upon walking into the room, we were very impressed. The room was in immaculate condition. Beds were made nicely, art was tasteful, bathrooms were sparlking, furniture was new and there were no room odours. The only thing is that the fridge seemed warm (even though it was on), and after my husband (who is an electrician) checked it out couldn't get it working, we just let the front desk know. When we left for supper,they either replaced it, or got it working, but either way it worked.

My 2 year old son and I went to the pool around 7p.m. and to my surprise the pool was very warm (most hotel pools I find freezing), and the hot tub was perfect. There were only 2 other people in the pool which was a nice treat. The pool area was very well taken care of and clean. It is a simple pool and hot tub, with no waterslide, etc. It was also too deep for my son to stand on his own (3 feet on one end, and 5 on the other), but that was not a big deal.

A few random things I noticed:
-Shower pressure was great
-Nice selection of TV channels
-There was a choice on each bed of 2 firm and 2 soft pillows, and the pillow cases were labelled as to which they were
-The beds were very comfy and not saggy at all
-Elevator was quick every time we used it
-Plug in parking was available
-Easy access off Albert Street
-TIM HORTONS right in the parking lot!!! This was a big bonus! Haha

The night was very quiet and we had a wonderful sleep, even after seeing a few young adults in the rooms next to us (as it was New Year's Eve and we expected partying). We were very impressed on how quiet it was.

The morning breakfast was wonderful!!! Well worth the stay for the complementary breakfast that consisted of:

Bacon, scrambeled eggs, fresh pancakes, fresh cinnamon buns and scones (these were all heated foods)
Coffee, hot water for tea, oatmeal, hot choc, etc.
Toast, bagels, breakfast muffin, etc.
Fridge plump full of single-serve milk (skim, 1%, and 2%), 2 brands of yogurts, hard-boiled eggs, etc.
Fresh fruit (bananas, apples, oranges)

It was a very large area for breakfast as well-about 15-20 tables, and there was a highchair as well.

All in all this hotel is in the top of our hotel stays ever. I have already recommended it to family, and will pass the good word along.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel (not sure of the direction) faces the back yards of the homes behind the hotel...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank PrairieFamilyof3

Reviewed 29 December 2011

Unable to use the internet at this hotel. The wired connection didn't work in the 2 rooms I tried, and the wireless signal was very weak, and the bandwidth was terrible. As soon as the hotel had a few guests present, it became nearly impossible to keep a connection. Our room at the end of the hall would not get enough signal to try to connect unless we stood close to the door. Staff tried having the router rebooted, but that did not solve the problem. Back to the same issues as soon as devices reconnect to the system and the bandwidth collapsed again. Staff will try to tell you the wireless is as fast as the wired connection, which would be very unusual in my experiences.

The internet is supported by an outside firm, so the in house staff can not resolve any issues.

Room was clean and the hotel furnishing are in good condition. The sheet seem a bit rougher than normal for a Holiday Inn Express, but they may just need a few more trips through the wash. Hotel is set back from Albert Street, so that helps with the noise in the room. Usual HI breakfast, and as usually only Splenda sweeten yogurt available. Had the internet worked I would give it a better rating.

The stairwell don't seem to be vacuumed every day

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Excellent service, great access to Regina through ring road. Always stay here when in Regina.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I checked in to real loud lobby where they have the music so loud you can't hear the lady at the counter. The place was crawling with RCMP, not sure what thats all about. The internet has a usage meter on it per romm, so if you want to send pictures or down load a song, it will stall on you half way through. In about an hour or so you can do some more work then it stalls again...I don't know about you, but when I pay $149.95 for bed and a shower I would like to be able to keep in touch with my family and this place won't let you. I resorced to an air card I keep...Rooms are nice and clean...not sure about breakfast yet, it's 03:00 am and I am trying to sleep on this board they call a matress.

Room Tip: For a quick stay and you have lots of money for an average room.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 505_Blazer
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A group of us from work were coming to Regina for Agribition, staying for one night. We had 7 rooms reserved and asked for one room to be ready for early check-in so we could put our bags in. This request was met no problem! Room was very nice and spacious, same with the bathroom. View looked out into someone's backyard but not like I spent my time looking out the window. Good location right on Albert Street with Tim Hortons and The Keg right nearby. Breakfast was good, nothing fancy but it's free and lots to choose from. Didn't get to use the pool facilities as didn't have time, unfortunately. Rooms were a bit overpiced at $190/night but this was likely due to Agribition as I know Calgary does the same thing during the Stampede. Only complaint really is one co-worker's room key wouldn't work and she said the front desk guy was pretty rude to her about it. Overall nice, new hotel - I'm always pretty impressed with the HI Express brand!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Spent 5 nights recently at the hotel and everything was generally very good. The breakfast is excellent, always lots of food, and starts at a reasonable time of 6:30. My preference when traveling from the east would be to have breakfast served earlier, but I think I am in the minority. The breakfast area is virtually empty until 07:00. While waiting for the breakfast area to open, I walk across the parking lot for a Tim Horton’s coffee.

The rooms are clean, well maintained, the free wi-fi has a strong signal in the rooms and breakfast area. Free Globe and Mail, even Saturday dropped at all rooms before 05:00!

There isn't much recognition for a Priority Club member; a bottle of water at check-in is quite weak. It was very dry in the hotel; a bottle of water a day in the room would have been much more appreciated.

Regina had a recent snowfall and the temperature stayed below the freezing point a good part of the day and overnight. I don't understand why the hotel wouldn't put a little salt in the parking lot to melt the ice? It was very slippery. The overnight low was -9 or -10, and salt works fine at that temperature. Why risk injury to patrons by leaving a layer of ice throughout the parking lot? Is it because everyone else does?

Room Tip: I was near the end of the hall on the second floor. It was quiet and had easy access to stairs which...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank gord999
Reviewed 24 October 2011

There hotel is over priced for what you get. Seemed very hot in the hotel. Beds were very comfortable. But you can get similar or better rooms for $50 cheaper per night.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business