“Told "I won't give you that table!"”
Review of Salonika Inn - CLOSED

Cuisines: Greek
Neighbourhood: Grosvenor Park
Neighbourhood: Grosvenor Park
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I have been going to this Restaurant for 20+ years with friends, family & in the last 10 years often with my Granddaughter. Whenever anyone asks "Where do you want to go for lunch?" I say Salonika. My experiences have been very positive & for the vast majority the interactions I have had were with Toula. (Owner) She is always friendly, gracious, welcoming & you can tell she appreciates your business. In turn I have let her know how much I enjoy eating there. Today though I brought my 73 year old Mom in for lunch, & while it was clearly busier than usual, it wasn't full by any means. Jim (Owner) was going to seat us in the section to the left of the doors, so I asked if we could sit by the windows. He said no, they were too busy to clean the open table there. But he said we could sit at a table against the far wall on that side. Immediately after he left Toula came & cleaned the table so we thought that perhaps now we could move to that table by the window. Wrong. Jim said: "I won't give YOU that table!" He really didn't explain why & his tone was rude. My Mom was shocked at how we were being treated. I said to him that I come here all the time & bring all my friends, family & granddaughter. He said : "You won't get that table!" So my Mom said to me: "Do you want to go?" So we got up to leave & I said to him that I didn't understand why he was being so rude & that his wife was always friendly whenever I talked to her. I said we understood that you are busy & we were quite willing to wait for the table to be cleaned. And once it was, couldn't understand why he was acting this way. He said the table wasn't set up! I said we didn't mind waiting at all. He continued to be rude & while I was talking to him he just walked away from me. I never raised my voice, didn't swear, just made my point & that was it. It was strange & bizarre but it certainly explains why most of the time I had been there it wasn't busy at all! Jim lost himself not only a very long term customer today, but all the people I would have continued to bring,& tell about the place. Sadly I will miss Toula,& her bright smile, & I feel sorry for her that this completely unreasonable man is her husband.

6  Thank Lisa K

Reviewed 23 January 2013

My family has frequented this restaurant for years. The staff and owners are wonderful and the food is very good with generous portions. The steak sandwich is especially good. This is not a fancy place but a friendly, clean hospitable place to have a nice meal at a great price.

2  Thank Yeremenko
Reviewed 14 December 2012

WE used to live near this restaurant, so we decided to revisit. Nothing has changed there in a very long time, likely including the food. I and my wife both had a pork tenderloin dish (different ones) and they were both horribly over cooked. The pork medallions on wife's plate were just grey, not even white anymore. My dish was as over cooked, except it was in a tomato sauce with peppers that were no longer green, but were soft and limp. As the meals were not really expensive, we chalked it up to price point, ate and left. I don't think we'll b back anytime soon.

1  Thank daveinthejaw
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We have been frequenting this restaurant for decades. Food is always good value. A great place to eat. Not a great place to dine.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

wife and i went to dine at this restaurant...she ordered greek ribs with baked potatoe house salad and house dressing and garlic toast.....salad was great....baked potatoe when served was just barely warm and very firm....the greek ribs were nice and lemony but extremely salty......she could only eat three,,,.........i ordered clam chowder soup......veal cutlets,,,,baked potatoe.....my soup had absolutely no hint of clam or seafood taste at all....it was very bland tasting,,,,,it was terrible.....my baked potatoe also was hardly warm and hard,,,,,,and my cutlets were processed patties ,,,they were not cutlets beyond any discription...anyone who has had good cutlets would absolutely know the difference.....our server was excellent and well deserving of a tip which she got ...,in all this was one of my worst eating experiences.....

2  Thank allan s