“Prairie Interlude”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Saskatoon
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Loved our time is Saskatoon, and would like to get the word out to other like-minded travelers!

We were taking the cross-country Canadian Rail trip from Toronto to Vancouver and had decided to plan a break and get out in Saskatoon for a couple nights. This turned out to be an excellent decision, and we would definitely recommend a visit to this “Paris of the Prairies” to all travelers wishing to touch ground in the area.

The train drops you off at 10:30 PM, so the station is pretty empty and not grand in any sense, and it is then a good $30 cab ride into the city center. The point is to come back to the same station at 10:30 PM a couple nights later and pick up the next train headed west. Reservations need to be made ahead of time of course.

We stayed at the Bessborough Hotel, locally referred to as “The Bess”, downtown on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River. The Bess is a lesser cousin of the larger and more famous clan of Canadian Pacific Railroad hotels (Chateau Frontenac, Banff Springs, etc.) and was something of an afterthought for the great railroad barons. Still, despite cheating a little on an historical scale, it is a fine hotel and well located near restaurants and street cafes, directly on the impressive river, and a short walk across the Broadway Avenue bridge to the university district. Being a college town, we found a theater festival the weekend we were there, as well as a lively farmer’s market.

We also took a day trip out to the Wanuskewin Heritage Park north of town. This is a First Nations archeological/sacred site, where a side creek has cut a ravine into the high bluffs of the Saskatchewan River, and were native peoples annually drove herds of buffalo over the prairie rim to supply food and materials for their winter caches. There is still an aura to the place that shouldn’t be missed if in the area, and a substantial museum and restaurant to provide creature comforts after hiking the creek area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank World_Wide_Wally
There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I have stayed here multiple times and it is by far in my opinion one of the nicest hotels in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. It is a beautiful old castle set on the river with an original exterior and a new interior.

Room Tip: Try and see if you can get river side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here for a night with the kids just for the fun of it! We rented a suit and it was very fancy looking but lacked the room that we needed for the kids to run around. I would have rather saved money and went to a cheaper hotel with bigger suits. I think we will leave this hotel for the posh people lol! The walk around the river was very convenient and the staff seamed very friendly continental breakfast was good but I had to haul a high chair into the locked breakfast room because there was non in the room and the server was absent. I was presently surprised to see that their swimming pool had salt instead of chlorine in it!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you have more than 1 child the rooms are too small. I recommend this place fo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear June F, Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. On average rooms are smaller in heritage hotels however they vary in size unlike the many cookie cutter hotels that are being built today. We do have a number of rooms suitable for families and of course highchairs are available.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

For those who travel extensively and actually depend on the official criteria for star ratings...the Hotelstars Union (Europe) would rate this hotel at a **S (2 star superior) or AAA (United States) would rate it a two diamond by their official criteria. Canada select has no ratings for any hotel in Saskatchewan but by their criteria, this hotel would be on the cusp of two to three stars. I hope this is useful to someone. This is why...
My wife and I regularly travel with our children and have stayed in many hotels world wide. Seldom do things reach such a critical pitch that I would feel the need to write a review of any establishment. People really need to know what they are getting into. This beautiful old C.N. railway hotel (and we have stayed at all of them in Canada) is listing to the point of submersion. Traditionally, hotels of this type "make up" for lack of modern room design with over the top service and superior locations/views. As expected, the two rooms which we rented were small with virtually no closet space, poorly fitted doors a paucity of plug-ins and coffee makers in odd locations...O.K. got that; as expected...old world charm. Rooms were clean with a river view. Furniture in rooms was ridiculous and did not go with the "old world charm" theme at all. The circa 1970's light fixtures and black weather stripping on some the cheapest most poorly fitted windows you will ever see installed are more of a laugh than anything else in this newly renovated hotel.
At what star rating do you expect to have someone help you with your bags from the care to at least the front door? No one available I guess to help us shlep our luggage up to the desk and our room. Then room service...multiple calls to a "busy" number. After finally getting through (a 90 minute period) our order is placed with great difficulty due to a language barrier. During that call, we are informed that some of the items (sushi) will be at least two hours, while quickly trying to look at an alternative (within one minute) I am told to hurry up or call back...I quickly place an order for potato skins as an alternative. Food arrives two hours later..cold. On a beat up trolley (without a table cloth) we unveil our order only to find that most of what we have received is incorrect. (wrong type of pizza, wrong flavor of wings etc.)...and no potato skins. Potato skins arrive 60 minutes later and are so greasy you can squeeze the oil right out of them. Not edible. Most of the food was so poor that it was barely edible (ask for fries without salt). About 4.5 hours total time to order and get food. Complain to desk twice and get a call back from the food and beverage manager who, after some discussion, ends up comping us for this crappy meal. I ended up eating at a drive through. Old world charm vs. falling apart? Certainly not what we expected staying at a hotel with this reputation, but I can't imagine how they have gotten that reputation or star rating.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelingPants365
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear TravelingPants365, Just to clarify, the Delta Bessborough is a AAA/CAA Four Diamond rated property. These ratings are based on a broad range of criteria and not the individual experience. With Tripadvisor it is the individual experience that counts and the amalgam of those experiences (reviews) by which consumers reach their conclusions. Clearly your experience did not live up to your expectations or to the standard we set for ourselves and I hope you will accept our sincere apologies. We will review your comments, particularly the breakdown in service in In Room Dining and Bell service in an effort towards continuous improvement.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Delta Hotels are consistently strong performers when it comes to rooms management This hotel is no different providing well appointed rooms for business travelers. My room offered a full a/v suite option where I could easily connect RGB, VGA and even HDMI to their flat screen television. Kudos and much appreciated.

F&B experience was consistently disappointing
I ordered an omelette sausage, mushroom with cheese and received a tiny smattering of these items in a dry & overcooked presentation. If you order a latte don’t! It has to be the worst latte in Saskatoon. I asked the wait person and they agreed sharing that management won’t change from their current push button later cappuccino maker.

In the evening I asked to see their fine dining dessert menu and was told that they do not have one. Why not offer such an option Mr. F&B Manager?

I breakfasted the next day two blocks away and by accident found a wonderful French bistro with a line up out the door even at – 20 degrees! I suggest that the Bessborough GM & F&B Manager try their own latte and then compare the caffe au lait served down the road. It’s apparent to this frequent traveller that the Bessborough has lost it’s local F&B customer support because the standard of F&B experienced down the road was surprisingly superior.

A great hotel that needs to refresh their F&B and definitely replace their current latte coffee push button option

Room Tip: ask for a view room overlooking the river
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear canadian175, Thank you for sharing your experience. I am pleased that you like Delta's new Smart Desk with all its connectivity. At the same time I hope you will accept my apologies for your disappointment with the hotels Food and Beverage. I will share your comments with all concerned. I know that coffee is a very individual matter but I wish to assure you that the hotels coffee system is of the highest quality using fresh Starbucks beans, filtered water and fresh milk.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

The Bessborough Hotel is one of my favorites, I stay there at least 10 times per year and have for many years now, mostly for business but sometimes home away from home. The hotel is located on the edge of the Saskatchewan river, so if you can get a river view room its worth the extra money....winter or summer. The grounds of the hotel are very beautiful and are kept perfectly, I often sit in the back of the hotel and attend conference calls using my headset in the summer months.....its always quiet and peaceful. There are all kinds of birds in the area....really nice to watch. The Samurai restaraunt in the hotel serves delicious sushi....the best in Saskatoon. There is a great gym that has been upgraded and an indoor pool that has also just been redone....both very clean and naturally bright facilities. You can enjoy the pool and then go lie on the back deck. The staff is always friendly and helpful ! The Hotel is in the heart of downtown Saskatoon.....with many great restaraunts, pubs, shopping, running paths right there....there is NO need to even use your car. The rooms are not huge, but that is because the hotel has tried to preserve the original ambiance of the grand old hotel as much as they can. I feel like a queen staying here.....so many stories.... if those old walls could only talk......

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We had a couple of nights in a charming suite and celebrated our wedding anniversary. The staff are so helpful and attentive, and, combined with the old world charm, there is no better place to stay in Saskatoon. Besides have a great restaurant in the hotel there are many great eating places that are only a short walk from the front door (even on a winters night). Down town offers lots of shopping, including a mall, so all in all you can park at the hotel and walk to pretty well everything you might wish to when having a 'kick back' weekend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple