“Castle Mixed Up Again”

Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Saskatoon
Prince Albert, Canada
“Castle Mixed Up Again”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I love this place! But............the last two times I have stayed here they got my room wrong. I always ask for a suite, I book a suite, I want a suite, I don't get a suite. I also ask for the river view, I don't get that either. I pay extra, but..........nope I don't get it. This last time I got free parking and a card for 15% off my next visit because of the mix up again. Just get it right.

Room Tip: Make sure you call a head to get the right room you booked. Ask for the river view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear DKAL45,

I am pleased to read that you love our "Castle by the River" but disappointed that you have had difficulty booking the room of your choice. I see that sometime has past since this stay but I would be happy to personally assist you in the future.

Andrew Turnbull

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Travelling with my spouse for business, we stayed at the Bessborough for five nights. At first we were willing to write off things such as no water in the gym at 7 am, a broken fountain by th sauna, a steam room that didn't heat and a bathtub were 1/4 of the paint had flake off. Then came Saturday, our last full day at the hotel -- it was a series of bummers including a breakfast at the cafe that took forever and was delivered cold. For the first time in all our travels we sent meals back. Then it was housekeeping -- which had been excellent to that point -- which didn't happen until 8:30 pm and took two phone calls to happen. Much of the staff are either inattentive or overwhelmed.

On the upside, the hotel is quiet me the beds are excellent.

For the price the value just isn't there.

• Stayed April 2014
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear mrshippie, I am sorry to learn that all aspects of your stay were not as they should have been and I hope you will accept my apologies on behalf of all concerned. I will review your comments with our maintenance, housekeeping and restaurant teams to ensure that lessons are learned from your experience.

Nipawin, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The "Bess" is by far my favourite hotel! It's close proximity to some great shoppes is a real bonus. The area surrounding the Bess always has something going on! Be it an outdoor skating rink in the winter or festivals in the summer, this stately old hotel is the centre of what's happening! The front desk personnel are always friendly and willing to help in any way they can. The bedding is always so crisp and fresh; the pillows are like resting your weary head on a cloud! The rooms are always very clean and the decor is quite regal. Room service has always been prompt with delicious food. The shower has never lacked hot water or good pressure. The only negative I can think of or have experienced during my many visits to the Bess is the outdoor parking. As anyone who has experienced a Saskatchewan winter knows, outdoor parking isn't the best. All the great things about this "Castle on the River" certainly out-weigh this minor inconvenience!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view; the view is spectacular during any season!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MsMarla
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

It's been almost a year since I last stayed at the Delta Bessborough. At that time my 80+ Mom and my pre teen daughter had made a trip. Well this time the three of us were back to attend a family funeral. My lovely Mom requested we give "the Castle" another try, and so I called to make a reservation.
I was glad to see someone meet us at the door and offer to take our luggage! It made a huge difference in terms of feeling welcomed to the property. Our room was newly renovated and offered a view of the river. If you read my earlier review though, you know the problem was never the rooms.

I wrote about the consistent challenges we had with the service. Well, I am pleased to report that we ate in the Hotel exclusively during our stay and the food has improved dramatically. Still some awkwardness in terms of getting everything we ordered on the plate, but the staff were quick to respond.

Interestingly enough, the biggest challenge also offered us the opportunity for the biggest shout out. After the funeral my mom, daughter and I decided to hunker down in our PJs and watch a movie in the room. We could not get the in room entertainment to work...the remote control was simply not in control. We called the front desk, who informed us that the hotel had recently upgraded to HD and this posed an ongoing problem for in room viewing. Enter the Amazing Andy! He was a treasure, and worked very hard (including bringing up four separate remote controls) to trouble shoot and eventually calling the service provider and waiting on the phone for half an hour while they worked to solve the problem. Needless to say, in the middle of all this waiting, we had time to chat. He asked why we were visiting, and we told him our story. He was engaging, respectful to my mom and daughter and had that Saskatchewan Prairie vibe: humble, human and...compassionate! It took a while, but eventually Amazing Andy solved the problem and were able to press play and relax after a very long day.
We ended our emotional trip with a great family memory...my mom, daughter and I curled up on the bed watching movies.
In the hotel world, there are bound to be challenges. What matters to me is how the hotel meets those challenges. Andy represented the Delta in a very positive, professional and human way, and, in the end, that is what great service is about.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank K S
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Showed up to the hotel after a long 19 hour travel day and was greeted by 2 very nice front desk staff. I was in Saskatoon for an Interview and they wished me luck and were very polite. They even gave me a free upgrade to a nicer room as they felt bad I had such a long travel day! Hotel is in a great location as you can walk to most things in the city and it's only about a 5 minute drive to the University. The room was very clean and comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2014 via mobile

A comfortable bed awaited us after a long drive in the freezing cold weather. We took advantage of the Signature Room for relaxing and snacking and appreciated the place to come for a cappuccino whenever we felt the whim. The hot hot tub was a great place to unwind. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I travel to Saskatoon very often and stay at the bessborough majority of the time. I always enjoy my stay here- Staff are all very friendly and rooms are consistently clean and relaxing. Spa downstairs is great and food from all restaurant locations is usually great.

I highly appreciate line of bath products their carry- Philosphy is an excellent brand and the shampoo/conditioner/sop etc are so wonderful to use. Definitely a plus and a welcomed change from the products other hotels carry

My only two complaints:

-Would be great if they comped parking (especially to their gold members) as you pay the same amount per day to park underground at the Sheraton across the street. I actually chose to stay at the Sheraton when I know the weather will be terrible to avoid having to drag my suitcase across a snowy parking lot or start my car in the bitter cold.

- their in room dining menu states that the menu at the front of their guide changes with the seasons to offer their frequently staying guests some variety in the menu. After 2 1/2 years of consistently staying here I'm not sure that it has changed even once! Not a big deal- but as a "foodie", having the opportunity to try new creations from the kitchen would be a delight

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
gmABTDeltaBES, General Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Bessborough, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Britt T, Thank you for posting your review. I am glad that you enjoy your stays, the addition of the spa and the Philosophy amenities! While I apologise that it hasn't been more frequent I am pleased to let you that significant changes were made to the In Room Dining menus just this week. Among a number of new items we have added a specialty page featuring made to order Sushi from the Samurai Japanese Restaurant.